Forgive what seems like an obvious question but just checking anyway... I use balance with BES12 to keep a work profile on my passport and wondered if the same feature would be available on the Priv?
    I doubt it since it's not BB10, but would appreciate clarity.
    Thanks

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 03:21 PM
    Kinda the same... Android For Work is usually how that is achieved on Android.
    11-04-15 03:57 PM
    Ok thanks, so presumably BES12 licences mean nothing for the Priv's operating system?

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 04:02 PM
    Ok thanks, so presumably BES12 licences mean nothing for the Priv's operating system?

Posted via CB10
    Wrong Dunt and no Paolo, BES12 is software on a server that secures your data. That data passes through a BlackBerry server in Canada. To have Balance you need a device like a BlackBerry that is capable of being partitioned (BlackBerry Balance). BES12 would be used with Balance on the "Work" side of phone. The "Personal" side would not go through BES12. Besides BlackBerry phones I think only Samsung has a phone that can be partitioned but I may be wrong on what other manufacturers have partition capabilities. You can run Android and iOs on BES12 but does it take over the whole phone or just the work space of it? Depends if it can be partitioned.

BlackBerry Priv!!
    11-04-15 04:20 PM
    Wrong Dunt and no Paolo, BES12 is software on a server that secures your data. That data passes through a BlackBerry server in Canada. To have Balance you need a device like a BlackBerry that is capable of being partitioned (BlackBerry Balance). BES12 would be used with Balance on the "Work" side of phone. The "Personal" side would not go through BES12. Besides BlackBerry phones I think only Samsung has a phone that can be partitioned but I may be wrong on what other manufacturers have partition capabilities. You can run Android and iOs on BES12 but does it take over the whole phone or just the work space of it? Depends if it can be partitioned.

BlackBerry Priv!!
    Incorrect. It depends on how the BES Profile is partitioned. The entire device can be locked down or it can be split between work and personal. There is no server in Canada. BES 12 resides on your own hardware unless you use the Cloud version.
    calyth likes this.
    11-04-15 04:29 PM
    Incorrect. It depends on how the BES Profile is partitioned. The entire device can be locked down or it can be split between work and personal. There is no server in Canada. BES 12 resides on your own hardware unless you use the Cloud version.
    I second this statement.
    11-04-15 04:36 PM
    Hmmm, ok so now I understand how Balance works, but are we saying it's not yet clear if the Priv will support the partitioning that I know and love on the passport?

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 04:48 PM
    Incorrect. ... There is no server in Canada. BES 12 resides on your own hardware unless you use the Cloud version.
    So BES stands for BlackBerry Enterprise Server, but no server is needed for a enterprise to use it? That's news to me.
    11-04-15 05:31 PM

BlackBerry Priv!!
    Android for Work (by itself and improved with BES12) allows for separate work and personal, separated profiles. See here:

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2015/1...apps-for-work/

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2789
    Last edited by conite; 11-04-15 at 05:50 PM.
    11-04-15 05:37 PM
    So BES stands for BlackBerry Enterprise Server, but no server is needed for a enterprise to use it? That's news to me.
    It is software you install on a minimum Windows 2008R2 Server and needs a current SQL or installs the included SQL server. Hence: Your own hardware.
    Nowhere in my quote did I say no server was needed. I said there was no "Canada server"
    11-04-15 06:25 PM
    BES stands for either "BlackBerry Enterprise Server" OR "BlackBerry Enterprise Service". The first iteration was the acronym for a legacy BES which was messaging platform specific (Exchange, Domino or Groupwise). With this version, the BES handled message delivery. The second iteration came in with BES10 (originally Mobile Fusion if anyone remembers that). This version leverages ActiveSync or Traveler for message delivery. Yes a server is needed for either version, it's typically on on-prem solution.

BES12 is a huge update to BES10, as it does away with the UDS/BDS/Management Studio split, and a much much nicer UI. It also stopped installing in a directory named "Research In Motion" ;-)
    11-18-15 08:50 PM
    The second iteration came in with BES10 (originally Mobile Fusion if anyone remembers that). This version leverages ActiveSync or Traveler for message delivery. Yes a server is needed for either version, it's typically on on-prem solution.
    A server is needed for the BES, but your email isn't particularly going through the blackberry network, I think. That would be the canadian server reference.
    11-18-15 09:00 PM