One of the things I like about BB10 products is the fact that if two people have Blackberries they can BBM Video to each other and a feature like Natural Sound activates which really enhances the sound of voice on video.

With the slider being Android based, it likely means that you won't be able to take advantage of BBM Video or Natural Sound, unless Blackberry has been hiding that functionality for this launch. Not a huge dealbreaker, but could be disappointing to lose one of the key features of BBM on a blackberry device and puts Blackberry in a bit of an odd position.

Thoughts?
    09-21-15 01:31 PM
    Deal breaker for me I use BBM video all the time and the screen sharing function is really useful.

Hopefully they are get an update to the android app ASAP.
    09-21-15 01:48 PM
    I was literally going to ask this same question.
    "Considering the Venice looks to be running Android, does that mean we will lose (free) BlackBerry <-> BlackBerry BBM video?"

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    09-21-15 03:12 PM
    But if you have something like Skype you can video chat with everyone. IPhone users, android users, PC users, Mac users, etc.

Although to be honest I've never used bb10 video chat, maybe it blows Skype out of the water I don't know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    09-21-15 03:35 PM
    Or maybe bbm video cross platform is coming.

8700,8800,8900, 8520,9000,9300,9900,Q5,Q10,Z10,Passport,Playbook
    ayngling, BerryRipe and vpblaze like this.
    09-21-15 03:49 PM
    In my experience, Skype on BB10 is more difficult to use and tends to be much lower quality than BBM video from user to user.
    09-21-15 05:27 PM
    But if you have something like Skype you can video chat with everyone. IPhone users, android users, PC users, Mac users, etc.

Although to be honest I've never used bb10 video chat, maybe it blows Skype out of the water I don't know.

Personally speaking BBM video blows Skype out of the water. Obviously just on mobile to mobile, but regularly call over seas from America or the other way around and BBM video is the best choice I have found. Better connection than FaceTime on some occasions.
    MO3iusONE and astrodan13 like this.
    09-21-15 05:33 PM

Yes. It does. It is much better qualiy.
    09-22-15 01:31 AM
    Yup bbm video and bbm meetings beats out Skype when using a BlackBerry device by far!
    09-23-15 11:35 AM
    Sorry to sound clueless. What the heck is BBM video? Is it a separate app from BBM?

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 06:54 PM
    Sorry to sound clueless. What the heck is BBM video? Is it a separate app from BBM?

Posted via CB10
    BBM video is part of BBM. Similar to FaceTime for iOS; If one of your BBM contacts uses a BlackBerry 10 device you will see an icon in the top right of the chat window that looks like a video camera inside a speech bubble. Push the button and Ilit allows for video chatting either on wifi or data based on how you set it up.

They laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same. 
    anon4226395 likes this.
    09-26-15 07:07 PM
    One of the things I like about BB10 products is the fact that if two people have Blackberries they can BBM Video to each other and a feature like Natural Sound activates which really enhances the sound of voice on video.

With the slider being Android based, it likely means that you won't be able to take advantage of BBM Video or Natural Sound, unless Blackberry has been hiding that functionality for this launch. Not a huge dealbreaker, but could be disappointing to lose one of the key features of BBM on a blackberry device and puts Blackberry in a bit of an odd position.

Thoughts?
    I think (and this is my opinion) it would be in BB's best interest to release BBM Video for android and perhaps even iOS when the Priv becomes available. I can almost see a lot of users switching to the Priv if it has BB10 security, especially the less techy people who have no idea how to side load or install Google Playstore.

BBM Meetings is already available as a paid service from BB and it allows BBM Videos calls from/to android, iOS and computer platforms (Windows and Mac). Perhaps that's something they're looking to make available when BB Priv and 10.3.3 are availabl, especially for the average consumer to do 1-on-1 calling with BBM desktop.

Of course we'd hope that's the case, but i guess we'll find out when it gets closer to release date.

Cheers
    09-26-15 11:29 PM
    I think that ship has sailed already.

Video and voice should've become available at or at least soon after the launch of BBM cross platform.

How BBM video will make any difference now except to current BBM users, I have no idea.

#CB10 #workwide #Silver
    09-26-15 11:56 PM
    This could be the opportunity to bring BBM Video to cross platform. It's something that should have happened from the get go.
    Honestly, the current state of BBM on Android is shameful. A weak, half assed attempt to get their brand onto other platforms.
    With the Priv coming out, and BBM being built directly into the Android OS, this could happen.
    On the flip side, if when the Priv comes out and there isn't the option to BBM video with other users, that's going to be a shot in the gut. That would be yet another foul play to brand loyalty.

Posted via the BlackBerry Classic
    09-27-15 09:31 AM
    This could be the opportunity to bring BBM Video to cross platform. It's something that should have happened from the get go.
    Honestly, the current state of BBM on Android is shameful. A weak, half assed attempt to get their brand onto other platforms.
    With the Priv coming out, and BBM being built directly into the Android OS, this could happen.
    On the flip side, if when the Priv comes out and there isn't the option to BBM video with other users, that's going to be a shot in the gut. That would be yet another foul play to brand loyalty.

Unfortunately this is all to prevalent with BB. They indicated months ago that cross platform BBM video was being developed. It would be a very big plus for this phone (for me at least) if cross-platform BBM video appeared alongside the priv. However, I'm not optimistic. Instead they seem to be obsessed with stickers and other ridiculous and naive attempts to monetise messenger.
    09-27-15 09:55 AM
    Unfortunately this is all to prevalent with BB. They indicated months ago that cross platform BBM video was being developed. It would be a very big plus for this phone (for me at least) if cross-platform BBM video appeared alongside the priv. However, I'm not optimistic. Instead they seem to be obsessed with stickers and other ridiculous and naive attempts to monetise messenger.
    I feel exactly the same way as you.

I was very much looking forward to cross platform. Personally I hate Skype, not just on my BlackBerry but on all platforms. I just want to be rid of it.
    In all reality, BBM doesn't have much going for it. And like you said, their attention has focused else where to releasing childish sticker packages every 5 minutes.
    So much potential...

09-27-15 04:19 PM
    BBM is far better quality for calls and videos but I guess it's only cause under 5-10 million users actually use it.

Contrast that with Skype which has to take strain on its servers with bandwidth allocated for iOS, android, windows phone, pc, mac, xbox, smart tvs.

Now... put Bbm on all those and then we could make a fair comparison.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-15 04:38 PM

Thoughts?
    Though I agree they may not be as good as BBM video, Android has many video chat apps that I have used and are pretty good. Tango and Viber to name two.
    09-27-15 05:16 PM