Getting tired of the inundation of "sponsored ads / invites" on BBM. Pizza? weight loss? Dating sites? Everytime i open up BBM now. Ridiculous. Was a time a perk of being BlackBerry owner was promise of no ads. Seems that perk is gone now on Android/PRIV. Time to look for another MSG app.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-19-16 02:20 PM
    I have been getting a lot of that garbage now too! Annoying!
    Xeak and Mecca EL like this.
    06-19-16 02:22 PM
    I agree that it's annoying, but do understand how BB's business model has changed.

With legacy BBOS, there was the requirement for a BIS/BES plan in order to enable the BB proprietary services, including BBM (even via WiFi-only usage, a carrier BIS/BES plan was required). In some markets, that plan cost the end user extra while in other markets the carriers chose to charge nothing additional (over a "generic" data plan). But, if memory serves me correctly, in all markets there was a continual stream of revenue to BB from the carriers for each BIS/BES subscriber.

With BB10 and PRIV, there no longer is the requirement for anything greater than a "generic" data plan...indeed, with these, we can use all BB proprietary services with no SIM/carrier data plan whatsoever (as long as we don't want any voice services on the device). Hence, it is logical that BB would need to find other methods to monetize the proprietary offerings, since they must continue to deploy/support the infrastructure that enables those services.

Annoying, yes...but understandable (IMHO) as well.
    BigAl_BB9900, TGR1 and andy957 like this.
    06-19-16 02:44 PM
    I would be happy to pay $5 to get rid of it.

Posted via BlackBerry PRIV
    06-19-16 03:04 PM
    Hmm, I've got that back then with my Classic as well.

Not that I care though, I don't even use it.
    06-19-16 03:23 PM
    I'm sick of it too. Can BBM be removed from the Priv?
    06-19-16 03:29 PM
    I don't get these ads and unsolicited requests on Messenger, Texttra or Yatta.

BBM has paid for itself at least a thousand times over.

The ads are unnecessary and further push people away from using it.

$12.00/ year is ridiculous for an ad free version.

I had to get rid of my Blackberry Devices because of incompatibility with work servers, but to see the Android Version of BBM makes me wonder who makes these ridiculous decisions

Posted objectively via S7 Edge.
    06-19-16 03:35 PM
    Yes -- it's just an app, the control over which you have via Google Play Store.
    06-19-16 03:55 PM
    Is anyone getting weird msgs from ppl in their contact lists? I get a bbm from my brother today that wrote "3x Hop it, )" and he said he didn't write that!

Any ideas?
    06-19-16 04:36 PM
    Facebook MSG app seems to be gaining ground and no ads (yet) once again BlackBerry is killing it's own market share with ads in BBM

06-19-16 08:31 PM
    I'm just waiting for Google Allo, after that BBM is going bye bye.

Posted via a Priv on an 6.0 Mushroom
    06-19-16 09:12 PM
    I use BBM to message my children for free (when they have Internet). Yes, the messages from Indonesia are annoying, the new sponsored ads even more so. I figure that is the price for free messaging. It is nice, however, to get short voice messages and pictures sent for free.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-16 12:24 AM
    Facebook MSG app seems to be gaining ground and no ads (yet) once again BlackBerry is killing it's own market share with ads in BBM

Great if you're on Facebook. But I do t use Facebook so for me BBM is my go to messaging app other then texting. I don't mind the apps but appears the frequency of them has increased since I moved from my Z30 to the Priv a few weeks ago.

Posted via the PrivZilla!
    06-20-16 06:04 AM
    Just don't log in to the app / disable it. You can't uninstall from the Play store. It will just ask if you want to uninstall all 'updates' from the Android system app.

BlackBerry PRIV STV100-1 6.0.1
    Classic SQC100-1/10.3.2.2876
    06-20-16 07:30 AM
    I would be happy to pay $5 to get rid of it.

Posted via BlackBerry PRIV
    Sadly they probably get much more than $5 a user for the ads in the long run. That's why many apps don't even bother with paid versions of their apps.
    06-20-16 09:01 AM
    BBM today is a joke tbh. I don't enjoy the experience. I used to be one of the few people in my personal and professional circle who still used BBM till about 6 months back. I have moved on to other options such as Telegram, iMessage and Whatsapp.

06-20-16 10:16 AM
    BBM is the next piece of BlackBerry to disappear. What a shining example of taking the one good product you can market to everybody and turn it into a dumpster fire.

Nobody will pay to use it.

If anybody tries to argue they use ads to pay for development, it would sure be great to hear what exactly they are developing.

More Stickers? That's ambitious.

I am just frustrated by what it was and what it became.

06-20-16 10:50 AM
    Yeah it's getting annoying now, you'd think they would not serve the ads to people who own/have owned a BB10 device (they know we have), as a way of saying thank you
    06-20-16 04:23 PM

The ads are unnecessary and further push people away from using it.

$12.00/ year is ridiculous for an ad free version.

I had to get rid of my Blackberry Devices because of incompatibility with work servers, but to see the Android Version of BBM makes me wonder who makes these ridiculous decisions

I can't believe they have the audacity to charge $12 A YEAR to hide ads considering it's the least used of the known messaging apps, especially since others don't have ads and the recent scandal with the global keys.
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    06-20-16 05:16 PM

Not really. BBM has never generated any revenue, nor has RIM/BBRY ever taken any steps (until now) to monetize it. So realistically, it's never paid for itself. It's always survived by being funded by BIS or BES subcriptions, which over the last 4 -5 years it hasn't been able to do. And Mesenger, Textra, and Yatta, are SMS clients. SMS fees are paid directly to the carrier by the consumer. There's no Server Maintenance for those apps, there are no traffic fees, and they don't provide a service in and of themselves, since all they do is provide a UI to somebody else's service.

So now what to do? Either advertise within the stream, which will peeve those users who don't wish to see advertisements in their stream. Or sell aggregated data to advertisers to target you by other means, which again will peeve the other class of users.

Unfortunately, BBRY no longer has the luxury to allow BBM to ride the coattails of other departments to ensure funding, because those other departments are doing everything they can to support themselves. So what's left? Monetize the service. One way or another, the service has to be paid for, whether by the users themselves, or by a third party.
    russnash, TGR1 and guido0136 like this.
    06-20-16 05:54 PM
    Hmm, I've got that back then with my Classic as well.

Not that I care though, I don't even use it.
    I'm occasionally getting the same on my Passport too - and I DO use BBM (though only a fraction of my usage of 5 years ago).
    06-20-16 09:16 PM
    It's very annoying. To date I only received 2 of those random invites on my Z10, but since December I've gotten about 15 on my Priv. What the heck is going on ?
    06-21-16 02:27 AM
    These have really ramped up lately I have noticed. I understand the need to make money off an app. But I believe there should be some sort of loyalty to the people that purchased a Blackberry phone. Has to be a way to make BBM add free for people with a BB phone.
    06-21-16 08:01 AM
    These have really ramped up lately I have noticed. I understand the need to make money off an app. But I believe there should be some sort of loyalty to the people that purchased a Blackberry phone. Has to be a way to make BBM add free for people with a BB phone.
    Problem for BlackBerry is the majority of their 20 million on so users are probable using a phone that is 3 or more years old.... granted they are still making something on those BBOS devcies. But they never really made anything on those Z10 owners, and the Q5 and Q10 owners didn't do them much good either.

As DenverRalphy said, every division needs to support itself.... or needs to be done away with. I'm thinking Channels ad revenues are falling and I don't see as much interest here in stickers as there once was.

But yeah I do agree that a BlackBerry device owner should at least for a while get some kind of reward... 2-Years of ad free BBM?
    06-21-16 08:43 AM
    Yep tons of ads. It really sucks

06-21-16 09:08 AM
36 12