Below is a comment from a person on Amazon.ca who bought one of the AT&T devices and called BB support on Aug 11 about updates.

"Not being a very technical person, or having confidence in my ability to wipe the operating system of a brand new phone and load the new operating software, I contacted Blackberry technical support. If you call them, they already are aware of this issue. You give them the IMEI number located on the box (every phone has a unique number). You are then registered into the system and the tech department now knows that the phone has been sold and off from the branded carrier. In a few weeks you will be severed from that carrier and begin to receive updates FOR ALL UPCOMING changes without having to worry about the original carrier.
    YOU ARE FREED PERMANENTLY. Very happy I took this route, waiting a month or so instead of the quick fix. Contact the Blackberry support line."

Anybody know anything about this????
    Vladimir Putin likes this.
    08-28-16 08:44 AM
    I have not heard of this. I hope it is true and they can eventually do it for Verizon branded phones too.

Posted via my Verizon Priv
    Camelhmpz likes this.
    08-28-16 09:34 AM
    They are definitely not going to do it for phones purchased from Verizon.
    08-28-16 09:39 AM
    Would be cool if they just got away from it all together. Too much power in carriers hands.

I welcome my stalker
    08-28-16 09:40 AM
    It would make sense they do this given hardware is exact same as OEM unlocked. Let's see if anyone actually has success with this.

Verizon need not apply unfortunately you want the 'best network' you live by their rules it seems.
    08-28-16 09:57 AM
    They are definitely not going to do it for phones purchased from Verizon.
    The difference is that there is no "independent" sale of Verizon branded phones by 3rd parties. Not even Shop BB sells Verizon models.

So, it's not as if innocent purchasers are finding Verizon branded phones and having issues getting updates. Well, I guess you might label all Verizon purchasers as innocent - having fully expected Verizon/BB to keep the updates flowing in a timely fashion.
    bluesqueen23 likes this.
    08-28-16 10:00 AM
    Reserve my seat here and wait for the good news!
    08-28-16 10:01 AM
    Yeah, that is mine. Upon speaking with the 4th tech support person (this time in Canada) the wait might be longer than a month...could be several. Go with the autoloader. Version AAG153 was just released Aug 26/16

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-28-16 10:04 AM
    ...but they all say it is going to happen, just time line is up in the air. Living 15 minutes from blackberry in Waterloo I drove over to look for answers. Use the autoloader on the blackberry website. Just pull your Sim and SD before 'fast booting' the new OS

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-28-16 10:11 AM
    The difference is that there is no "independent" sale of Verizon branded phones by 3rd parties. Not even Shop BB sells Verizon models.
    Completely correct.
    I had a choice between adding another line or making a deposit of some used coffee. I chose to make the deposit.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-28-16 10:13 AM
    Completely correct.
    I had a choice between adding another line or making a deposit of some used coffee. I chose to make the deposit.
    Oh, you have expensive tastes in coffee! Just this morning reading a crime novel they discussed the coffee that's been processed by the civet.

"Kopi luwak, or civet coffee, refers to the coffee that includes part-digested coffee cherries eaten and defecated by the Asian palm civet."

"250 gr Premium Kopi Luwak Mbah Djono Arabica Civet Coffee Whole Bean Medium…$64.99 " or 8.8 ounces.

"Kopi luwak is one of the most expensive coffees in the world, selling for between US$100 and $600 per pound in 2010.[1] The specialty Vietnamese weasel coffee, which is made by collecting coffee beans eaten by wild civets, is sold at US$3,000 per kilogram.[36] Most customers are Asian, especially those originating from Japan, Taiwan and South Korea.[37] Sources vary widely as to annual worldwide production.
    The price paid to collectors in the Philippines is closer to US$20 per kilogram.[1] Some specialty coffee shops sell cups of brewed kopi luwak for US$35–$80.[38][39] Some coffee shops in Jakarta serve kopi luwak for US$6–10. In some countries the price of this coffee has gone down due to the extensive production, but it remains being the most expensive coffee in the market"
    08-28-16 10:49 AM
    Oh, you have expensive tastes in coffee
    I've tried the Kopi Luwak, highly over rated, I'd take run of the mill Columbian over it.
    The used coffee referred to was processed and used by my internals. Currently drinking Ethiopian Longberry at about $48.00 for 5 lb.
    If I could, (or was willing to) afford really good coffee it would be Blue Mountain or Kona, and not the blends.
    In 2014 I ordered some Bali 'Paradise Vally' which was every bit as good as Kona, but $52/5lb. Weather must have changed cuz it wasn't nearly as good in 2015 or this year. Still good coffee mind you, but not as great as '14. I'll have to find out when they harvest and try next years batch.
    08-28-16 08:51 PM
    I've tried the Kopi Luwak, highly over rated, I'd take run of the mill Columbian over it.
    The used coffee referred to was processed and used by my internals. Currently drinking Ethiopian Longberry at about $48.00 for 5 lb.
    If I could, (or was willing to) afford really good coffee it would be Blue Mountain or Kona, and not the blends.
    In 2014 I ordered some Bali 'Paradise Vally' which was every bit as good as Kona, but $52/5lb. Weather must have changed cuz it wasn't nearly as good in 2015 or this year. Still good coffee mind you, but not as great as '14. I'll have to find out when they harvest and try next years batch.
    Well, I only do decafe. The real stuff now keeps me awake.
    08-28-16 09:43 PM
    I have not heard of this. I hope it is true and they can eventually do it for Verizon branded phones too.

Posted via my Verizon Priv
    Yep, it's true - I have an AT&T branded, (originally locked until my supplier gave the unlocking code) Classic, and as soon as I turned the brand new phone on it paired to my PC WiFi and BlackBerry auto loaded the software.

I have since auto loaded using CB's links cos I didn't want any hidden remnant ATT software lurking about.

I'm in Aus.

--Classic, 9700, Playbook, flip - posted using crackberry app --
    08-28-16 10:09 PM
    It would be quite awesome if they did this for all devices...

Posted via CB10
    08-28-16 11:45 PM
    Classic,
    Key word here is Classic. Untill the Priv came out we could always update one way or another.

If you had a Priv, (and this is a Priv thread, on the Priv forum) you would not have able to do it, yet anyway
    08-29-16 05:10 AM
    You'll find other posts on cb from Aus priv owners saying the same thing. Doesn't matter where you got the device from BlackBerry will feed it software.

--Classic, 9700, Playbook, flip - posted using crackberry app --
    08-29-16 05:35 AM
    Not the US carrier branded Privs, Only way to update them is with an active, original carriers SIM in it, or use autoload. And either way, you will get only the updates that original carrier has decided to release.
    Plenty of Aussies on the Priv forum with AT&T devices, all crying cuz they can't get updates, (a lot fewer now that AT&T has released MM).
    08-29-16 05:55 AM
    That's right. Sure, you can run an autoloader on the unlocked AT&T Priv, but it has be specifically made for the AT&T branded Priv - locked or unlocked.

With BB10, an autoloader made for a Classic would work on all Classics anywhere, on any carrier, locked or not. Same for all other BB10 phones. The only thing you had to be sure of was any model number difference. Like the Z10 "-1" versus the other three models. But the model specific autoloader were usually always available for every BB10 phone when a new build was released.

There just doesn't seem to be that luxury for the BB Android phones.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-16 06:57 AM
    With BB10, an autoloader made for a Classic would work on all Classics anywhere, on any carrier, locked or not. Same for all other BB10 phones.
    Yep, whole nother world now - forget what you think you know, it's all changed.
    Apparently this only applies to US carrier branded phones????
    The autoloaders seem to be either ROW, (rest of the world) or US carrier specific.
    08-30-16 06:33 AM
    Yep, whole nother world now - forget what you think you know, it's all changed.
    Apparently this only applies to US carrier branded phones????
    The autoloaders seem to be either ROW, (rest of the world) or US carrier specific.
    And South Korea, for some reason.

It's either; ROW, and any carrier in the world other than AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon and North Korea.

Not unheard of, though. Most Samsung phones can be rooted if it sold outside the US, while all US carrier sold Samsungs are bootloader locked and can't be rooted.

Not that rooting and the ability to load a factory OS is the same, but the mechanisms used by US carriers to prevent either are similar.

Posted via CB10
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    08-30-16 06:54 AM
    Below is a comment from a person on Amazon.ca who bought one of the AT&T devices and called BB support on Aug 11 about updates.

"Not being a very technical person, or having confidence in my ability to wipe the operating system of a brand new phone and load the new operating software, I contacted Blackberry technical support. If you call them, they already are aware of this issue. You give them the IMEI number located on the box (every phone has a unique number). You are then registered into the system and the tech department now knows that the phone has been sold and off from the branded carrier. In a few weeks you will be severed from that carrier and begin to receive updates FOR ALL UPCOMING changes without having to worry about the original carrier.
    YOU ARE FREED PERMANENTLY. Very happy I took this route, waiting a month or so instead of the quick fix. Contact the Blackberry support line."

Anybody know anything about this????

So do you now have Marshmallow? Is your phone still hot as hell? Does the Hub still suck balls? MMS issues persist?
    08-30-16 03:28 PM
    So do you now have Marshmallow? Is your phone still hot as hell? Does the Hub still suck balls? MMS issues persist?
    Are you asking me, or the person I quoted? The person I quoted should have Marshmallow since AT&T has released it, but since he didn't say, I really have no idea.
    I have a Factory Unlocked, have had Marshmallow since BB released it back in May I think it was.
    I've not had any of the issues you mention, didn't have them with Lollipop either, though the Hub was a bit lacking at first. BB keeps updating Hub and it keeps getting better.
    Course I was careful with the apps I downloaded, plenty of apps are not very good with battery. And using battery heavily = heat + short operating time.
    08-30-16 07:29 PM
    Hi All:

I actually have one of those unlocked AT&T Privs. I am in Canada and a Wind mobile subscriber. I of course have never received and OTA and was only able to upgrade to MM using an auto loader.

This morning i decided to run the software update and voila!! I received the AT&T August security update!!! Did BB carrier unlock these phones now?? It also appears that the AT&T boot up logo is gone.

Anyone else ?

M
    09-01-16 12:18 PM
    Did you get accepted into the beta perhaps? I am on rogers network with AT&T priv and I checked, no update.
    09-02-16 12:10 AM
60 123