Hi! I am planing to upgrade my good old Q10 with Priv and I need HDMI output and mouse support. Will something like this work Amazon.com: Generic Alltech Devices, MHL MIcro USB to HDMI 1080P HD TV Cable Adapter for Samsung Galaxy S3 S4 S5 Note 2 Note 3: Cell Phones & Accessories since Priv doesn't have HDMI port?
    Also I have this mouse Cooler Master Mizar Specifications - What Mouse? will it work same as it works now on Q10?

Thanks!
    03-02-16 09:17 AM
    The Priv, like most Android phones, supports SlimPort adapters (rather than MHL, which never really caught on) for HDMI. It will also support any standard USB mouse (usually used via a hub), or a BlueTooth mouse.
    03-02-16 01:04 PM
    Interesting, I wouldn't say MHL never really caught on, in fact quite the opposite. I see MHL support everywhere (not just phones and tablets, but also televisions, projectors, and HDMI switches which have powered MHL ports so you don't need an adapter). Before I got the Priv, I've only seen SlimPort on some of the Nexus devices. Then again, that's probably because I have a different background. As I understand, BlackBerry has always been in the SlimPort camp.

But yeah, it's essential to keep in mind that MHL and SlimPort are two competing standards, like Betamax and VHS, Bluray and HD-DVD, etc.
    You should look for SlimPort solutions, not MHL.

That being said, they both do basically the same thing. In fact, SlimPort is in some ways technically superior and therefore some expect it to increase in popularity. One thing in particular that I like about SlimPort is that you do not need a separate power adapter, so it's more portable (just my Priv, SlimPort cable, and battery-powered pico projector). Then again, apparently MHL 2.0 supports that as well. The Priv's output has some scaling issues with said projector though.

USB host / OTG functionality is available on the Priv and allows you to connect stuff like mice, keyboards, and external memory to your phone.
    However you cannot use the SlimPort and USB host functionality at the same time, unfortunately. Only charging is supported (depending on your adapter). Same is true for MHL devices though. The main exception to that rule is Samsung, who have their own 11-pin version of MHL rather than the standard 5-pin version, which allows for them to build full-fledged video + USB docks for their devices. That's why that gadget from the Amazon link will only work on Samsung devices - not even all MHL phones in general!!!

The mouse you own would probably work if connected via OTG adapter/cable, same as with the Q10, but not at the same time as the video out. Which I guess would also be the same on the Q10.

Still, within these limitations, there are multiple ways to achieve what you'd like, just mix and match the options Troy mentioned and throw in a Chomecast (which offers the most reliable wireless screen cast possibilities I've seen so far, excluding enterprise solutions):
    • Bluetooth mouse + screen output via SlimPort -> HDMI: Probably the best solution.
    • USB hub with mouse + wireless screen cast via e.g. Chromecast -> HDMI (note: Chromecast needs separate power, either via USB port in TV/projector or via separate adapter. Also there is some lag here so this is not really recommended for 'active' stuff. But for a presentation it works just fine.)
    • Bluetooth mouse + wireless screen cast via e.g. Chromecast -> least amount of visible wires, but same issues apply.

Either way you might need to buy something; a SlimPort adapter / cable, or a Chromecast. I have and use both, depending on the scenario (Chromecast is awesome at home for watching videos, SlimPort is better when traveling in certain countries due to unreliable or unavailable network connections)
    03-02-16 01:56 PM
    Thanks for replay. I really miss HDMI port on Priv.
    03-03-16 06:51 AM
    I would suggest using a SlimPort NANO.CONSOLE. The Priv is supported by it and it has a fun remote trackpad you can use in place of your mouse. I use it all the time to watch TV shows and movies through apps with my Nexus 5 and BlackBerry Classic. I also have the SlimPort HDMI 4k adapter, both work great. I bought them on Amazon. If you purchase one, make sure it's sold by Analogix. There are a lot of fakes out there for less. Don't be fooled by them, I learned the hard way
    Last edited by nixeblue; 04-22-16 at 03:54 PM.
    Jesterbomb likes this.
    04-22-16 11:42 AM