What accounts will you need to set up the BlackBerry Android on the Slider?

I hope that a Google account is only necessary for the Play Store. But I doubt that...

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 08:52 AM
    oh i bet you are going to need a Google account ....
    00stryder likes this.
    09-19-15 08:55 AM
    My bet is you need a Google account just like on any close to stock Android, an a BlackBerry account for everything BlackBerry.

This is what the Android crowd is used to, so it is probably the best way to do it. I hope they change as little as possible, except for everything about productivity, privacy and security.
    09-19-15 09:05 AM
    I'd say you need both, at least for it to work as intended. An Android phone without a Google account is only half a phone. Same goes for Apple, Windows phone and even BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 09:12 AM
    I have NOT yet seen an Android phone with Google play services that doesn't require a google account. Some OEMs, such as Samsung, also offer option to register a Samsung account as well, but that doesn't replace the need for a Google account.
    09-19-15 09:17 AM
    except for everything about productivity, privacy and security.
    Privacy is not what I connect with a Google account. That's why the question came in my mind. But I agree with you all that it's very likely that there is no way around a Google account.

I just hope that there is no calendar and contacts synchronization by default.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 10:05 AM
    I'd say you need both, at least for it to work as intended. An Android phone without a Google account is only half a phone. Same goes for Apple, Windows phone and even BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    This makes sense to me. Google account for Google stuff, BlackBerry account for BlackBerry stuff.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 10:35 AM
    Google account for Google stuff, BlackBerry account for BlackBerry stuff.
    I'm totally ok with a Google account if there is such a clear separation.

I don't have much experience with Android devices. But all I have seen so far is that the Google account is everywhere. Everything is synced with and backed up at Google servers automatically. If you don't want that you need the knowledge where to turn it off.

BlackBerry also collects data from my Z10 but for me BlackBerry is much more trustworthy, since they don't make money with user data.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 10:56 AM
    Privacy is not what I connect with a Google account. That's why the question came in my mind. But I agree with you all that it's very likely that there is no way around a Google account.

I just hope that there is no calendar and contacts synchronization by default.

Posted via CB10
    I agree, hence me prefixing that statement with "I hope they change as little as possible, " because that I really hope they will change

More privacy would be welcome.
    09-19-15 11:27 AM
    I'm totally ok with a Google account if there is such a clear separation
    My bet is that everything on your work partition (part of Android for Work, configured through BES12) will be considered private business data and not go through Google, but everything else will (because Google wants to keep using consumer data for advertising etc).
    09-19-15 11:37 AM
    The Google account will be necessary as always.

BlackBerry will most likely have a prompt after the Google account is setup so that you get signed up/signed into BBM, along with access to the BB Services. Which is actually a big deal since they are finally putting their contacts and calendar apps into the cloud.
    09-19-15 11:42 AM
    W/o Google a/c Google does not allow to access play store services. So definitely Google a/c. After all Venice is nothing but an android phone. BlackBerry must have to follow Google licence agreement.
    09-19-15 01:43 PM