I'm torn between the Priv and the DTEK50. So I guess the question comes down to usability and battery life? How easy is it to adjust to a 5.5" screen? I'm currently on a z30.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-16 09:08 AM
    I'm torn between the Priv and the DTEK50. So I guess the question comes down to usability and battery life? How easy is it to adjust to a 5.5" screen? I'm currently on a z30.

Posted via CB10
    I am sure you will get mixed opinions on the size issue. I have to say that was not an issue in my case moving from the Z30. The screen is very nice. The biggest issue really was moving to Android and giving up the fluid motions of the Z30 and the kind of "protective envelope" that BB and its own native apps provided.

08-24-16 09:39 AM
    I am sure you will get mixed opinions on the size issue. I have to say that was not an issue in my case moving from the Z30. The screen is very nice. The biggest issue really was moving to Android and giving up the fluid motions of the Z30 and the kind of "protective envelope" that BB and its own native apps provided.

So how's the battery life though? That's one of the biggest complaints on the DTEK50 but they say it gets better with time.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-16 09:53 AM
    So how's the battery life though? That's one of the biggest complaints on the DTEK50 but they say it gets better with time.

Posted via CB10
    I should have put my initial thoughts in the reply. That, too, varies with use. I'm not a heavy user. A dozen or so emails, a few more, per day. I do browse and don't use the phone that often and I'm using at 50-70% at the end of the day. Occasionally, usage is heavier and I'm down to 30-40%. I charge overnight on a wireless (Qi) charger. The Dtek50, from what I read, has a smaller battery. Some suspect that's why Shop BB was selling a package - phone and battery bank - during the intro.

I'm still on Verizon and so, Lollipop. MM is supposedly better at battery (heat issues).

I do not turn anything off - location, wifi, bluetooth and radio are all on. While out hiking I've had the gps running (Nogago Tracks) for 5 or 6 hours and still have tons of battery left. If real remote I might turn off the phone/data aspect since there's no signal in the mountains.
    08-24-16 12:19 PM
    I should have put my initial thoughts in the reply. That, too, varies with use. I'm not a heavy user. A dozen or so emails, a few more, per day. I do browse and don't use the phone that often and I'm using at 50-70% at the end of the day. Occasionally, usage is heavier and I'm down to 30-40%. I charge overnight on a wireless (Qi) charger. The Dtek50, from what I read, has a smaller battery. Some suspect that's why Shop BB was selling a package - phone and battery bank - during the intro.

I'm still on Verizon and so, Lollipop. MM is supposedly better at battery (heat issues).

I do not turn anything off - location, wifi, bluetooth and radio are all on. While out hiking I've had the gps running (Nogago Tracks) for 5 or 6 hours and still have tons of battery left. If real remote I might turn off the phone/data aspect since there's no signal in the mountains.
    OK thanks for your review. I think I'm sold on the Priv.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-16 12:21 PM
    My Priv is great with battery life now. I have the latest Marshmallow release.

I run Bluetooth and Wi-Fi all day, I never turn anything off. My Fitbit Blaze is always connected to my Priv. I primarily use BBM and WhatsApp and all the other usual apps. I have 3 e-mail accounts on push.

I take my phone off the charger at 7:00 a.m. and still have 20-30% by midnight. I don't think I ever got much better on my Passport, and my Priv does WAY more.
    FF22 and Norg like this.
    08-24-16 12:28 PM
    Minimum 4+ hours screen time.

Posted via Priv
    08-24-16 12:33 PM
    My Priv is great with battery life now. I have the latest Marshmallow release.

I run Bluetooth and Wi-Fi all day, I never turn anything off. My Fitbit Blaze is always connected to my Priv. I primarily use BBM and WhatsApp and all the other usual apps. I have 3 e-mail accounts on push.

I take my phone off the charger at 7:00 a.m. and still have 20-30% by midnight. I don't think I ever got much better on my Passport, and my Priv does WAY more.
    Do you have the Unlocked version or the At&t?!

Posted via CB10
    08-24-16 12:44 PM
    try to charge it in the car while using gps IE mas. once battery get over 40 in just a minute. it will stop charging saying "cooling down". what a lot of crap.
    08-24-16 01:37 PM
    try to charge it in the car while using gps IE mas. once battery get over 40 in just a minute. it will stop charging saying "cooling down". what a lot of crap.
    Huh?

Posted via CB10
    08-24-16 01:56 PM
    Huh?

Posted via CB10
    I presume the user is saying that using a driving/mapping/directions/gps app, that the battery really is being used a lot and that it needs to be connected to the charger and even then, that the phone gets hot and goes into a "cool down" mode. I've not used it that often for driving but on a trip to Mt Rainier we used Waze and Google Maps. It worked reasonably well and better than my friend's iphone. But there are some applications that can suck down the battery.

Hopefully, that person will explain a bit more about the issues.
    08-24-16 02:03 PM

Posted via CB10
    My battery is nothing short of spectacular. I am coming from the Z30 and it has been a very easy transition. Granted I don't use any social media apps. Since they are poorly optimized and tend to be battery killers.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-24-16 02:18 PM
    there is a "cooling down the handset" feature ok. kicks in automatically whenever os feels handset is overheating. problem is its overheating whenever you use it really. so you would be at home, using your device and lets say you need it charged, it bloody wont charge because "cooling" kicks in. how the cooling is achieved? simply by limiting current flow IE stop charging, dimming screen, switching off and on gps.
    its so annoying especially when you are on the go and use your mobile non stop, for example by having google maps on. its under the charger but it will stop charging now and than. in some extreme scenario battery wont even hold its current level, it will simply keep discharging. can send you charging log if needed.
    08-24-16 02:27 PM

Posted via CB10
    Easy. My last device was a Z30 as well.

Posted from my BlackBerry Priv on Rogers Network.
    08-24-16 09:35 PM
    I can agree, came from a Z30 myself and transition was good. battery life has been great with me too, going through a day of sometimes 16 hours with about 4-5 hours SOT.
    Can't say I'm unimpressed with that, so I'd be recommending the PRIV as well without a doubt.
    The big screen is great, especially for someone like me who has big hands

FF22 likes this.
    08-25-16 02:38 AM
    Do you have the Unlocked version or the At&t?!

Posted via CB10
    No, I have a locked-to-Rogers device.
    08-27-16 10:55 AM
    I have a att unlocked and for the most part I am liking it. I have not updated it yet but I'm also OK with how it is working. I may go to a att store and get a cheap pay Sim and update everything.

08-27-16 11:10 AM