Curious about this subject. Please report here if you updated your Priv.

Apparently need a day or two before a fair evaluation.

Thanks!

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    12-01-15 01:23 PM
    It heated up / Cause well the processor was processing information and executing that data to make the phone better.
    I have updated it. So far.... I SEE massive improvement.

Battery seems to be holding up alot nicer too. Looking forward till the 14th for the updated apps.
    12-01-15 01:38 PM
    After getting all my apps updated and a couple email addresses synced my phone ran hot for the rest of the day whenever I used it to do anything but after that first day it got gradually better and now after about a week it's cook as a cucumber! Figure even after the updating I was using it a lot more heavily than normal just playing around with it and now with normal use it's fine.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-01-15 01:39 PM
    Dudes, if it heats up during the update you don't have to report here.

This thread is to get a feel how this update impact those issues in similar usage pattern... apparently after it settles down... unless your daily pattern involves updating OS.

parented, ce71 and John Gee like this.
    12-01-15 02:01 PM
    After getting all my apps updated and a couple email addresses synced my phone ran hot for the rest of the day whenever I used it to do anything but after that first day it got gradually better and now after about a week it's cook as a cucumber! Figure even after the updating I was using it a lot more heavily than normal just playing around with it and now with normal use it's fine.

So basically you don't have the heat issue before... hopefully you don't have it neither after the update.

12-01-15 02:02 PM
    Got warm during download and update, now cold as always, notice the ring tone is lauder. Now I can hear it if left on other room, which was my major complain after coming from a Z30.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on BlackBerry Priv from SBB
    aha likes this.
    12-01-15 02:21 PM
    Curious about this subject. Please report here if you updated your Priv.

Apparently need a day or two before a fair evaluation.

Thanks!

I just ran a game for just over 10 minutes and watched the temperature climb from 37 degrees C up to 48 degrees C. It seems the heat/CPU issues are still present. According to Battery in settings the game was using 100% CPU the whole time.
    aha likes this.
    12-01-15 02:31 PM
    I just ran a game for just over 10 minutes and watched the temperature climb from 37 degrees C up to 48 degrees C. It seems the heat/CPU issues are still present. According to Battery in settings the game was using 100% CPU the whole time.
    Any chance it's CoC?

12-01-15 03:13 PM
    Any chance it's CoC?

No, this was one of those King games, but I have noticed it get warm with other games as well. AdVenture Capitalist is a very simple game that should not tax the PRIV at all, and yet it also uses 100% CPU when the game is running and gets very warm.

I feel that if these apps did not use 100% CPU then the PRIV would not get as warm and battery life would definitely be improved.
    12-01-15 03:19 PM
    No, this was one of those King games, but I have noticed it get warm with other games as well. AdVenture Capitalist is a very simple game that should not tax the PRIV at all, and yet it also uses 100% CPU when the game is running and gets very warm.

I feel that if these apps did not use 100% CPU then the PRIV would not get as warm and battery life would definitely be improved.
    That's too bad. It looks like the 100% CPU usage problem are not fixed in this build. Wonder if anyone has reported it in BlackBerry support forum because this is kind of a big deal.

12-01-15 03:22 PM
    Just did a quick search on BlackBerry Support Forum. It doesn't seem to have a thread mention the CPU usage problem in Priv.

Could Priv owners who suffer heat issues in simple browsing or light gaming head over there and start reporting issues please?

This is the last issue blocking me from making a decision on Priv.

12-01-15 03:28 PM
    Just did a quick search on BlackBerry Support Forum. It doesn't seem to have a thread mention the CPU usage problem in Priv.

Could Priv owners who suffer heat issues in simple browsing or light gaming head over there and start reporting issues please?

I had posted there about the heat issues prior to this update. I have just posted again under the topic "Heat and CPU usage".
    12-01-15 03:33 PM

Just because someone eye-balled the Battery metrics in Settings while playing a game does not mean the latest update did not include software to better manage the processor. Regardless, posting something in the forum will not change anything at this point. I can guarantee you that BB is fully aware of the many CPU complaints and are doing everything they can to improve it.
    12-01-15 04:04 PM
    Just because someone eye-balled the Battery metrics in Settings while playing a game does not mean the latest update did not include software to better manage the processor. Regardless, posting something in the forum will not change anything at this point. I can guarantee you that BB is fully aware of the many CPU complaints and are doing everything they can to improve it.
    No, of course it doesn't. What it does mean is that the problem still exists. I wish I had access to another Android phone so that I could see how the same games run on them. Then I would have something to compare.
    Gregory Ryan likes this.
    12-01-15 04:27 PM
    Are you in contact with someone from BlackBerry to make that guarantee or based on the number of complaints you saw here on CrackBerry?

If it's later I wouldn't be so confident.
    12-01-15 04:28 PM
    No, of course it doesn't. What it does mean is that the problem still exists. I wish I had access to another Android phone so that I could see how the same games run on them. Then I would have something to compare.
    Right, posting over there doesn't mean to expect this problem being resolved over night. It's just an added insurance for them to see it, therefore do something about it.
    12-01-15 04:30 PM
    Are you in contact with someone from BlackBerry to make that guarantee or based on the number of complaints you saw here on CrackBerry?

If it's later I wouldn't be so confident.
    Direct contact.
    kertong and aha like this.
    12-01-15 04:33 PM

BTW, someone on Quora suggested in a thread to use this app to set CPU Governer yourself, may be worth to try. And this article explains the difference in different CPU Governers.

---Never mind, that app needs the device to be rooted.
    12-01-15 04:36 PM
    This update shows that blackberry is watching this forum closely. Hopefully updates come sooner and sooner to correct the issues at launch. There are too many android devices out there that trump the Priv so they need to get their act together.
    12-01-15 04:36 PM
    Right, posting over there doesn't mean to expect this problem being resolved over night. It's just an added insurance for them to see it, therefore do something about it.
    I don't want to give you the wrong impression. I encourage people to post over there. It certainly would not hurt anything - even this particular issue. Although, I can say with certainty, this issue has the attention of folks.

Personally, I'm not a gamer - haven't played a software game in over 10 years. Maybe I'll sound naive when I say that I don't expect the Priv to be a gaming device - it's a productivity tool (to me personally). Therefore, I could care less if the CPU was running hard while gaming. Now... when the CPU is clocked at 1.4GHz for an extended period of time when just checking emails...? That's a completely different issue.

Either way, I highly recommend the Priv. It's a awesome device.
    aha likes this.
    12-01-15 04:42 PM
    I'll post this here too, since it's relevant. I updated on 12/1, and here's my battery story with the Priv.

My first two weeks with the Priv, the battery life was decent, slowly becoming worse. I started out with 5 hours "screen on time" per charge cycle, gradually getting worse to around 4 hours SOT on average. My power consumption was fairly standard; the screen always consumes most, with no other offenders over more than 4-5% (BB Services and Android System usually #2 and #3 after the screen). I was also experiencing more frequent heat issues.

In working with Blackberry support on these problems, they wanted me to do a factory reset. I did, and it was a freaking miracle for battery life! My first full charge cycle after reset, I got 6.5 hours SOT. It also alleviated my overheating issues. I was starting to feel pretty optimistic. And then a day later...I updated to the new firmware version. That torpedoed my SOT time. I have had two full charge cycles since the update, and have gotten just under 4 hours the first day, and just over 4 hours SOT today. The power consumption distribution is pretty similar, but with "Phone Idle" jumping up a couple percentage points.

I've sent screen captures and emails, but haven't heard back from BB support since I updated. I don't really want to do a freaking factory reset every time I update the phone. I really love the Priv, but this level of battery life isn't going to work for me. I had a Nexus 5 previously, and its 2300mAh battery typically got 4-5 hours SOT. The Priv should easily beat that.
    aha and mithrazor like this.
    12-03-15 04:24 PM
    I'll post this here too, since it's relevant. I updated on 12/1, and here's my battery story with the Priv.

My first two weeks with the Priv, the battery life was decent, slowly becoming worse. I started out with 5 hours "screen on time" per charge cycle, gradually getting worse to around 4 hours SOT on average. My power consumption was fairly standard; the screen always consumes most, with no other offenders over more than 4-5% (BB Services and Android System usually #2 and #3 after the screen). I was also experiencing more frequent heat issues.

In working with Blackberry support on these problems, they wanted me to do a factory reset. I did, and it was a freaking miracle for battery life! My first full charge cycle after reset, I got 6.5 hours SOT. It also alleviated my overheating issues. I was starting to feel pretty optimistic. And then a day later...I updated to the new firmware version. That torpedoed my SOT time. I have had two full charge cycles since the update, and have gotten just under 4 hours the first day, and just over 4 hours SOT today. The power consumption distribution is pretty similar, but with "Phone Idle" jumping up a couple percentage points.

I've sent screen captures and emails, but haven't heard back from BB support since I updated. I don't really want to do a freaking factory reset every time I update the phone. I really love the Priv, but this level of battery life isn't going to work for me. I had a Nexus 5 previously, and its 2300mAh battery typically got 4-5 hours SOT. The Priv should easily beat that.
    It is an application issue. What applications are installed and what is their relative resource consumption? What was DTEK report about the applications?
    12-03-15 04:36 PM
    It is an application issue. What applications are installed and what is their relative resource consumption? What was DTEK report about the applications?
    It's not an application issue. I have very few apps installed, and in the power consumption distribution screen, no individual app is ever above 2-4%. The biggest users are always the screen (usually around 50%), with the next highest being Blackberry Services, Google Services, Android OS, and Android System in varying orders (4-5% each). I've provided screenshots to BB Support for each stage of my issues (pre-reset, post-reset, and post-update), but they haven't been able to provide a solution.

I guess I'm going to have to swap it out for a new one.
    12-03-15 04:53 PM
    It's not an application issue. I have very few apps installed, and in the power consumption distribution screen, no individual app is ever above 2-4%. The biggest users are always the screen (usually around 50%), with the next highest being Blackberry Services, Google Services, Android OS, and Android System in varying orders (4-5% each). I've provided screenshots to BB Support for each stage of my issues (pre-reset, post-reset, and post-update), but they haven't been able to provide a solution.

I guess I'm going to have to swap it out for a new one.
    Honestly the amount of complaints about battery life is the reason I'm not on my third priv. Just stick with the one you have because the first one I had, had the same issues this one does with the battery but I can't be bothered to redo everything on a new phone just for it to be the same

ce71 likes this.
    12-03-15 06:31 PM
    Looks like battery fix is not part of this update. But ce71 said that BlackBerry is working on it so we can just wait.

12-03-15 08:27 PM
34 12