I've seen several threads about this point. There are persons who says there is a something wrong with the priv, and others who think that the battery life is better than what we had with � passport.

Ok, so I've bought a priv that I've in hands since friday. I know that blackberry phones usually take 3 - 4 days to become stables... But this time I am anxious.

The phone loose 1% in less than 5 minutes. Today I needed to charge the phone two times and I will put it again for sleeping.

So I wonder, for the persons who have no problem with the priv... What did you configure and how you use it regarding hub, redundancy between google apps and blackberry apps, sync... ?

Do I have to just stay patient and it will stabilize by the time being ?

Edit: I have the android marshmallow...

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-30-16 08:19 PM
    To be honest battery drain seems to be normal with the priv. Though with any blackberry I always had to charge a few times a day.

07-30-16 08:33 PM
    Depending on the version of Marshmallow that you are running, some of the things that helped me were adjusting screen brightness to less than 50%, shutting off lte, and using DTeK to verify which apps were doing what, then shutting down the ones that seemed to be more active.

After several updates and Betas, wiping and reloading the software helped my battery life tremendously. With a new phone that shouldn't be an issue though.

I can tell you that if the next software update is based on the current beta, it will help with battery life, just have no idea when it will be on general release.

07-30-16 08:55 PM
    I have had good battery life with Marshmallow on AT&T.

Some things I did as soon as it upgraded to Marshmallow:

Disabled Gmail, since I use hub.
    Used DTEK to identify any apps using location. Disabled their permission.
    Installed Greenify and did small hack to get aggressive doze when moving.
    Paired smartwatch to get notifications so I wasn't always checking the screen.
    Screen at about 50 %.

Greenify will close apps even if they aren't battery optimized. I have the donate version.

I've been in poor and no service areas for most of today (6 hours) and left Bluetooth and WiFi on, and I'm still at 58 % . A few calls, some map usage, texting and checking emails, and reading and posting here.

No, 59 %.

Oh I've also activated dark or night mode on everything that has it. I think the biggest battery issue for me is the screen. It has been off the charger since 8 am so about 13 hours.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android (Priv)
    Attached Thumbnails battery drain-6052.jpg  
    Last edited by CharlieV; 07-30-16 at 09:25 PM.
    07-30-16 09:05 PM
    You guys are scaring me. I just bought one and now i am worried that i will have the same issue as you guys when i receive it.

07-30-16 10:41 PM
    To be honest battery drain seems to be normal with the priv. Though with any blackberry I always had to charge a few times a day.

Man having to charge any phone multiple times a day is not normal
    07-30-16 11:20 PM
    I got my priv back in Feb from shopbb. I had some heating issues, but nothing too crazy. I updated to MM and overheating wasn't as bad and battery was better. I was getting full days use out of it with plenty of juice left.
    However whenever I used navigation, it would always heat up. I did a factory reset 2 wks ago, and no issues whatsoever since. Biggest pain was re-organizing my icons and some settings but totally worth it.
    Factory reset after MM update has dramatically improved battery life and GPS doesn't cause the phone to get hot. I should have done it sooner! It's like I have a brand new phone.

FF22 likes this.
    07-30-16 11:41 PM
    Disabling 'adaptive brightness' was incredibly helpful. Weird, because it seems counterintuitive to do so.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-16 12:47 AM
    What I have to do to fix my battery drain which is the "Android System" that stays awake all the time is to Power Off (NOT restart) the Priv each time after I disconnect it from charging.

For some reason the Android System stays awake after a charging session which dramatically impacts the battery drain.

The only solution that works for me is to do the power off and manually switch the Priv on. I've tested it for 4 weeks now and I can confirm that at least in my case it is how I solve the battery drain effectively. I now don't have to charge my Priv at all during the day. The latest Marshmallow beta update did not fix the issue...
    07-31-16 04:21 AM
    What I have to do to fix my battery drain which is the "Android System" that stays awake all the time is to Power Off (NOT restart) the Priv each time after I disconnect it from charging.

For some reason the Android System stays awake after a charging session which dramatically impacts the battery drain.

The only solution that works for me is to do the power off and manually switch the Priv on. I've tested it for 4 weeks now and I can confirm that at least in my case it is how I solve the battery drain effectively. I now don't have to charge my Priv at all during the day. The latest Marshmallow beta update did not fix the issue...
    (fingers crossed) I do not have that problem but I just did a search and found discussions going back two or three years where Android System was blamed for battery drain under various OS versions. It appears that Android Systems may do a lot of processing for other apps that need gps data or battery checks, etc. So, you might want to look at what apps you do run and maybe try UNinstalling them. Or "Force Stop" them even though this is not recommended but as an experiment to see if ending them might help you focus on what's happening.

You can look at Dtek and see which apps use Location/gps and which are using data. Check your sync interval for email. Facebook reporting where you are every second?
    07-31-16 09:35 AM

How did you discover that? I want to see if mine is doing the same thing.

07-31-16 11:31 AM
    You guys are scaring me. I just bought one and now i am worried that i will have the same issue as you guys when i receive it.

I have had the phone for almost a month now, and I noticed the first day or so while it was updating and installing all the apps I use the battery was dying quickly.
    Now that I have adjusted the settings in the various ways, the battery lasts as long as my girlfriend's iPhone 6.
    The only real time I notice the battery has a bit of a drain is when I am playing games.
    If you're using it for texting, phone calls, emails... she should be fine. Just be sure to look through the apps and programs that you're not using and turn off their permissions.

07-31-16 02:47 PM
    I've had the priv for one week now and thus far, the battery life has been excellent. I charged mine over night, took it off the charger at 7:00 this morning and I'm sitting at 51%... it's 6:00 in the evening at the moment, so I would say that's pretty good. I used it in the car to play music and have been on it pretty consistent through out the day.

07-31-16 04:52 PM
    Thank you all for the comments.

I personally switched to 3G instead of 4G... Maybe that's just a feeling, but I think the phone generates less heat.
    I also check localization settings as several advised here.
    The phone seems to drain normally the battery

08-02-16 06:46 AM
    I've seen several threads about this point. There are persons who says there is a something wrong with the priv, and others who think that the battery life is better than what we had with � passport.

Ok, so I've bought a priv that I've in hands since friday. I know that blackberry phones usually take 3 - 4 days to become stables... But this time I am anxious.

The phone loose 1% in less than 5 minutes. Today I needed to charge the phone two times and I will put it again for sleeping.

So I wonder, for the persons who have no problem with the priv... What did you configure and how you use it regarding hub, redundancy between google apps and blackberry apps, sync... ?

Do I have to just stay patient and it will stabilize by the time being ?

Edit: I have the android marshmallow...

I started using Cooler Master after the MM upgrade. It stops all the nonsense apps from running and I find the battery life much better.
    08-02-16 09:41 AM
    No problems here.

Posted from my BlackBerry Priv on Rogers Network.
    Attached Thumbnails battery drain-29630.jpg  
    08-02-16 10:19 AM
    Disabled Gmail, 90 percent improvement in the battery.

08-02-16 05:06 PM
    Disabled Gmail, 90 percent improvement in the battery.

I think a lot of the people around here who complain about heat and rapid battery drain are running hub in parallel to gmail and other Google PIM apps.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Priv
    08-02-16 07:30 PM
    For me when I first started dealing with BlackBerry rep about this, I was having issues with BlackBerry services using a lot of battery and data.

I came to find realize that my emails were syncing every single minute, even with syncing interval off and push on.. It turned out to be Push the whole time..

I now have all my emails set to 1 hour and sync off... this has dropped my data consumption from like 300mb a month to 17mb. Before it was using upward of 30% plus. Now it's 1-3 usually..

Go into setting - accounts and go through all the stuff, disable any auto syncs that aren't necessary.

Bluetooth, location, nfc, wifi. Are up to you. Shutting them off will help.. I tend to have BT and location on because of my smartwatch.

Lower the brightness and that usually stuff

Go into all your apps you download and check the individual settings, some times you can change it to black theme, or some apps will to updates in the background ..

I have my phone on 4G because I get low signal with LTE and thought maybe it was contributing.

Oh as for my hub.. My main hub is just my texts and BBM.. I created another I names email Hub and my own priority hub..

I found every time you open the hub of emails are in the main screen it would sync with the servers (likewise if you go to individuals in submenus or if you delete emails one my one.. You are better to delete in bulk)

Other than that I use my AVG to monitor battery temp.. I try not to get apps that want to run on startup.

Use OS Monitor from app store to watch which apps are currently open in the Ram and CPU so you can see if a certain app is going into overload..

I did do more but this getting long already and I'm not sure they helped much..

I am not convinced formatting my phone helped either. I still see issues but mainly with certain third party apps.

FF22 likes this.
    08-02-16 07:52 PM
    I think a lot of the people around here who complain about heat and rapid battery drain are running hub in parallel to gmail and other Google PIM apps.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Priv
    Believe you are right, forgot to mention no more heating issue either.

08-03-16 08:27 AM
    How did you discover that? I want to see if mine is doing the same thing.

I discovered that by accident when I forgot to plug my Priv to charge overnight, so the battery died completely.

It was the first time since I bought the Priv way back in November that I let that happen, so the phone got to 0% battery and switched off by itself. I always avoided that since draining it completely decreases the longevity and capacity of smartphone batteries.

Lo and behold, after charging the phone to full when it was off, that day I experienced amazing battery life. So that got me thinking and I did two weeks of testing:

One day i switch the phone off and back on after charging, the other I just restart, and on others I do nothing.

That is how I found that pattern with switching it on and Off that solved the battery drain of Android System for me.

HOWEVER, after recent updates to the HUB and BlackBerry Services apps, I no longer have the problems with Android System battery drain so I don't have to switch the Priv off and on after charging anymore!!
    08-06-16 04:02 AM
    I was having some really odd battery behavior, along with heat issues.

Did a full factory reset, along with following the advice of some others in this thread and things are much better. Today my battery was ridiculously good. Especially in stand by mode and a lot of the day being off wifi.

I really think the full restore, as much a royal pain it is to do, really can make a difference.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-06-16 06:43 PM
    I discovered that by accident when I forgot to plug my Priv to charge overnight, so the battery died completely.

It was the first time since I bought the Priv way back in November that I let that happen, so the phone got to 0% battery and switched off by itself. I always avoided that since draining it completely decreases the longevity and capacity of smartphone batteries.

Lo and behold, after charging the phone to full when it was off, that day I experienced amazing battery life. So that got me thinking and I did two weeks of testing:

One day i switch the phone off and back on after charging, the other I just restart, and on others I do nothing.

That is how I found that pattern with switching it on and Off that solved the battery drain of Android System for me.

HOWEVER, after recent updates to the HUB and BlackBerry Services apps, I no longer have the problems with Android System battery drain so I don't have to switch the Priv off and on after charging anymore!!
    Hmm. I must have the updates because I see no difference either way.

Thanks for posting your process, though. I guess BlackBerry figured it out and fixed it.

Ride or die: 
    08-07-16 08:12 PM
    Hmm. I must have the updates because I see no difference either way.

Thanks for posting your process, though. I guess BlackBerry figured it out and fixed it.

Ride or die: 
    The problem CAME BACK after the latest update (the AAG111) !

I have to do the same thing again with the power off/on to fix the battery Android System drain issue! So disappointed...
    08-17-16 06:06 AM