I tried Any.do for a week as it looked good and reminded me of SlickTasks but than I checked DTEK and it was the third app using my location after the establishment of Facebook/Snapchat.

I've uninstalled it immediately. Have you got any to share?
    xxslxx likes this.
    11-25-15 03:38 AM
    Montr�al Canadiens app, asked for my location 7000 times in a day and a half

Posted from my BlackBerry Priv
    FF22 likes this.
    11-25-15 04:07 AM
    DTEK is just a awareness app, to open eyes of Android lovers

Posted via CB10
    lift and gvs1341 like this.
    11-25-15 05:16 AM
    Coupgon.

Was accessing my location the most. Even more than my weather app which update ls every hour on my widget.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-25-15 06:20 AM
    Charity Miles is the worst offender BY FAR that I've found to date; it got uninstalled and blasted on my blog. It pulls location every 5 minutes or more even when not running, it restarts itself if you force-kill it, and if you go inside it will monkey-hammer location services trying to get a GPS lock when it can't. Between the privacy violations and battery abuse it's worth a big fat zero; it attempted over 15,000 location requests in two days.
    11-25-15 07:56 AM
    Anything by Cheetah Mobile is bad, DTEK might not tell you but Cheetah Mobile sells data to 3rd party crap.

Skype is the only app that concerns me. It accesses my contacts countless times.

Montr�al Canadiens app
    Regardless of which team plays better or has the better skilled players. My biased fanboyism says

GO LEAFS GO
    11-25-15 08:23 AM
    Montr�al Canadiens app, asked for my location 7000 times in a day and a half

Posted from my BlackBerry Priv
    Imagine the battery consumption associated with that?! No wonder the Priv can't make it a full day on a charge.
    11-25-15 08:42 AM
    I am sure that when marshmallow comes they will add the ability to block services on an app by app basis, and to deny them.
    11-25-15 09:17 AM
    If you Block access, the app will not work so just delete the app right now

Posted via CB10
    11-25-15 09:26 AM
    Imagine the battery consumption associated with that?! No wonder the Priv can't make it a full day on a charge.
    I'm getting an easy 12hours of screen watching

Posted from my Canadian PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    11-26-15 07:25 AM
    And I haven't even downloaded a flashlight app. Amazon wants total control of every function. I assumed they would not really use the permissions unless needed - Wrong!

After downloading the app I promptly closed it never it opened it, much less used it - over about 3 days, Amazon accessed my location 70 times.
    11-26-15 07:50 AM
    You do realize that one of the FEATURES of Any.Do is to remind you of a task if you are near where it needs to be completed? (That's only if you have a location set on the task)

Why not just disable it from accessing your location if you're so paranoid?
    11-26-15 11:55 AM
    Anyone know if Dtek is available for other devices including an android copy that runs on BB10 devices. I'd like better tracking of what's doing what and how often.
    zephyr613 likes this.
    11-26-15 12:07 PM
    Just checked mine now because of this thread, only one that stands out is Whatsapp accessed my contacts over 28k times in the past 7 days. Interesting...all other app access looked low from what I saw.
    11-26-15 12:29 PM
    this is what android apps do they look thru everything on your phone, they check to see where you are they wanna know who you know you guys knew this coming in way before the priv came out
    lift and gvs1341 like this.
    11-26-15 12:33 PM
    Anyone know if Dtek is available for other devices including an android copy that runs on BB10 devices. I'd like better tracking of what's doing what and how often.
    I wouldn't think so, since it requires hooks in the OS to enable it, as mentioned here a few days ago: http://crackberry.com/blackberry-exp...ty-and-privacy
    11-26-15 12:55 PM
    Couple of tips:

You can disable contacts sync for some apps.
    In Dtek, you can set notifications for when apps access location etc.

Whatsap was accessing my location thousands and of times so I disabled contact sync in settings/accounts/whatsap then click whatsapp again and disable syncing.

You can do this for other apps like linkedin - not sure about Skype

It seems to turn it back on sometimes, so I set a notification for it.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    needforbbx and gvs1341 like this.
    11-26-15 01:05 PM
    If the app needs to be location aware: tasking/note reminder apps will ping your location constantly. If the apps needs to know if your contact list also has the app in order to share it will access contact list constantly like social media apps.
    11-26-15 01:27 PM
    Also you CAN change the permissions on APK files and reinstall them to remove access methods

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    11-26-15 01:45 PM
    Whatsapp by far the worst , accessing my contacts 16,000 + times.

Posted via STV100-1
    11-26-15 02:07 PM
    Whatsapp by far the worst , accessing my contacts 16,000 + times.

Posted via STV100-1
    Eh, it scans your contacts to check if they have a Whatsapp account, people moan otherwise if their client doesn't update they friend immediately.
    Kind of the point.
    11-26-15 03:18 PM
    yeah but 16000 times? hello excessive much? telegram or textra doesnt even do that.
    11-26-15 04:35 PM
    What is the practical point of them accessing your location and contacts?. What benefit do they gain?
    11-26-15 05:06 PM
    Eh, it scans your contacts to check if they have a Whatsapp account, people moan otherwise if their client doesn't update they friend immediately.
    Kind of the point.
    Precisely - You need to pair up what DTEK with what you know about the application. Whatsapp scans your contacts to find matches on the server, so that you could message them. So naturally Whatsapp will be pretty heavy handed on accessing contacts.

Facebook is pretty bad with location access - I generally don't let it post my location, but it still access it quite often. However, FB Messenger is a lot better, and doesn't even touch my location settings.
    11-26-15 05:09 PM
    Android apps have been doing all kinds of things like this for years. Why does this surprise anyone? Really folks, this is nothing new. DTEK is telling you what's going on and you're surprised? Now you know why some people are against android so much.
    It's really kind of funny to see people freaking out over this. Now you know why 3rd party apps are so bad. You can't trust these apps no matter what they claim they don't do.
    BB_PP likes this.
    11-26-15 08:48 PM
47 12