Hi, in the good old days, I could back up my BB Passport or Z10 with the BB Link App - but now you have to do it and send the data to my Gmail account. Is there another way? I hate to use my Gmail account for ANYTHING never mind my data backup. Ugh!! Thanks!

I just did another Google search and found an Android App called Mobile Go which looks to be a similar app like Link - has anyone used this? If I do, I am probably stuck with it. Hmmmm.
    Last edited by tg1; 08-31-16 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Saw something new on Google search
    MBrettH likes this.
    08-31-16 06:48 PM
    I am interested to see replies to this

Posted via PRIV on Verizon - not as good as my Passport but getting there
    Paul Callahan likes this.
    08-31-16 07:54 PM
    OP- Exactly what type of data are you interested in backing up?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-31-16 09:37 PM
    I guess I'd like to back up everything that Link backed up. Messages, contacts, texts, media, data files, etc. Did I miss anything? My phone stalled tonight and I realized that I had no backup. Thanks.

FF22 likes this.
    08-31-16 10:52 PM
    I guess I'd like to back up everything that Link backed up. Messages, contacts, texts, media, data files, etc. Did I miss anything? My phone stalled tonight and I realized that I had no backup. Thanks.

I see. I had the same exact concern about avoiding Google in order to back up most of the same things you'd mention. I was in the process of switching a faulty PRIV to a new one under the warranty and asked this question to the rep. All they suggested was that I download an external app from the Play store that would back up up I needed, which I found to be highly annoying. So I asked if I would be able to do a data transfer back to my Z30 in order to send in the faulty device and apparently you can't transfer data from a Blackberry Android device to a BlackBerry 10. Only BlackBerry 10 to Android, I was highly annoyed by this.

I resorted to downloading and manually crossing my notes over time Note Everything Plus and backing up my SMS to SMS Backup & Restore app. Media and files went to my SD card. My calendar, email and contacts were already synced with my Google account and that's enough for me.

anon(1175881) and andy957 like this.
    09-14-16 02:16 AM
    Mobile go looks more like a cleaner/optimizer. I do see the desktop function but it doesn't seem to include all the stuff that Link would do?

Currently I am storing media on my SD card so that covers that. Contacts and Calendar are all in my msn account. I am using the google backup feature on the phone for apps.

I don't really have anything for sms though unless that would pull through the messenger app in the backup when I did a restore?

Posted via the CrackBerry App on my PRIV
    09-14-16 09:46 AM
    If you are with VZW their cloud app backs up SMS , contacts, media etc. If you trust them any more than Google they're another option. I personally would prefer an app that would back up those items to my SD card and then periodically back the card up to my laptop.

09-14-16 11:25 AM
    I'm on AT&T and I think they have cloud app also. Haven't checked it out to see what all it stores.

Has anyone done a factory reset with apps sync'd on google backup? i'd be curious if the text messages all reappear when the messenger app loads back in? There is no separate toggle to backup SMS.
    09-14-16 02:52 PM
    As a software company BlackBerry should give us options for backing up at minimum hub, calendar, notes and tasks

At this time they don't have anything useful.

Make sure you export your passwords keeper. The one thing you can do.

Paul Callahan likes this.
    09-14-16 03:54 PM
    I'm on AT&T and I think they have cloud app also. Haven't checked it out to see what all it stores.

Has anyone done a factory reset with apps sync'd on google backup? i'd be curious if the text messages all reappear when the messenger app loads back in? There is no separate toggle to backup SMS.
    I used the Content Transfer app to originally transfer my contacts and SMS, etc.. from my Z30 to my Priv and left the folder on Google Drive temporarily. The following night I did a factory reset because of me messing up my media transfer and reloaded from the same transfer folder, selecting only accounts, SMS, MMS , documents, Remember and contacts. The restore went fine and everything was correct. I then deleted the file in Google Drive. According to their fine print, that file was encrypted before backup and the transfer only takes place when you use the password you entered at the start. You never use the password while in Drive, so theoretically Google never has access to the password and the file remains encrypted while stored on Drive. This would also work using an SD card instead of Drive. Both would work as a backup as well as transferring data. Just a thought.

andy957 likes this.
    09-14-16 10:03 PM

Don't have experience with AT&T. But, Verizon's app will back up texts for 90 days.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-15-16 12:50 AM
    SMS backup and restore works well for sms/mms. I keep Contacts and calendars on my own infrastructure so I have no need to back those up.

diesel0110 likes this.
    09-15-16 02:14 PM
    What I appreciated in my day's with BB10 was that Link backed up my settings as well as the other majors mentioned in this thread. To me that's huge. It allowed me to do a restore and be totally done. No tweaking required.

Is there a backup method that does this for the Priv?

FF22 likes this.
    09-18-16 12:04 AM
    Mybackup Pro is what I use

09-18-16 12:14 PM
    From what I've been reading, you can not back up documents associated with a specific app unless your phone is rooted. I have a ton of documents in folders that I need to back up. (I really miss Link).
    Is there not an android app that will allow backing up documents without rooting? Obviously rooting a Dtek50 isn't an option.

Posted via the Dtek50 and/or Z30...
    09-18-16 03:49 PM
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...smscontactspro

Been using that

Posted with my shiny new Priv
    09-18-16 04:19 PM
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...smscontactspro

Been using that

Posted with my shiny new Priv
    "Backup & restore app's data(need root)
    -Batch restore apps from SD card (need root)"

Posted via the Dtek50 and/or Z30...
    09-18-16 05:00 PM
    When I bought the Priv for my wife I ran into the same issue. I looked all over and finally called BlackBerry support. I was shocked to be told that users should just embrace the entire Google universe and get used to the idea of giving Scroogle all of your data and personal information.

That really pissed me off, as we never would have bought the stupid thing if we knew that!! So much for the famous BlackBerry security! What good is it for the consumer to 1st switch to an inferior OS for anyone concerned about privacy based on the promise of "the most secure android ever"? I wasn't that worried about my BlackBerry being hacked, but I maintain my belief that if it wasn't for so many people who worry about not having 43 flashlight apps on a device that HAS a good flashlight built in is a symptom of the "app shortage" blamed for the death of BlackBerry as the class leader in smart phone users. There are very few apps not available but when people are hooked on a favorite social media platform, if that particular one isn't there then "there's no apps!".
    Of course the elitist attitude that causes the Facebook and whatsapp's of the world to deliberately decide to stop supporting the BlackBerry 10 OS become a visible target to "prove" the BB 10 OS isn't worth using. I admit to being puzzled by so many users blaming BlackBerry for the actions of app makers and really dislike it when people leave reviews badly bashing all of BlackBerry because their favorite app isn't available or stopped working on BlackBerry devices. My Q10 does nearly everything I ask it to do and does it well!

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10
    Last edited by scubafan; 11-03-16 at 01:21 PM.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-01-16 07:41 AM
    Hi, in the good old days, I could back up my BB Passport or Z10 with the BB Link App - but now you have to do it and send the data to my Gmail account. Is there another way? I hate to use my Gmail account for ANYTHING never mind my data backup. Ugh!! Thanks!

I just did another Google search and found an Android App called Mobile Go which looks to be a similar app like Link - has anyone used this? If I do, I am probably stuck with it. Hmmmm.
    Wishing that BlackBerry Android phones have Desktop Manager/Link as well.
    tg1 likes this.
    11-02-16 01:48 PM
    Well, yesterday I spent nearly 3 hours with a BlackBerry support tech trying to get the data trapped on her Z10 moved onto the Priv. The Z10 was barely running, which is the other reason for getting a new cell. So we had to reload the OS on the Z10 several times and finally got to get the Z10 to download & then use the BlackBerry content transfer app.

I was totally unwilling to expose her data to Google both for sensible desire for privacy and to avoid a HIPAA violation. (just because the vast majority of people ignore it doesn't make it right to give Google and other companies access to personal data for anyone, much less patients! )
    It turns out that the content transfer app can use the Bluetooth ad hoc type of connection to send any files from one BlackBerry to another if you set it up! So I was able to move everything without using the cloud! As some reviews for the app said, it isn't perfect but the minor repair of the info in some of her contacts was worth it! It moved 290 pictures, 8 videos, 59 contacts and the last few texts to her Priv.

More importantly, I was taught how to put the Priv into developer mode. This lets you connect the Priv to a PC and browse most media files. So now I at least have a way to move pictures and other large files onto a hard drive. The only bad part is that the BlackBerry tech so far hasn't been able to find a way to back up calendar and contacts, much less a way to move them between the non cloud PC version of MS Outlook. So while I can put multiple appointments and contacts into Outlook using a full size keyboard and screen and then sync with the BlackBerry link onto my Q10 the best she can do is have the contacts app export the contacts as a .vcf file and send it to the hub or an email address. I didn't have an SD card in the Priv so we couldn't try to send it to movable storage. It does save the file to internal storage, so it could be moved via MTP using a USB cable though.

Since I know that calls are monitored and analyzed I did tell her several times how frustrated I am that BlackBerry created a phone that promises security and yet expects the users to switch from the personal control of their data we've had since BB OS6 to this dependence on cloud options for EVERYTHING! If a user wants to give away their entire private life plus that of their friends is a reason to LET the Google-verse be used for calendar, music etc transfer. But they really did all of the users who value privacy a major disservice by not offering the option to keep control and only store data on equipment they own! The fact that the tech was able to so easily make part of the Priv capable of sharing files with my laptop proves that it would be pretty simple to create at least a minimalist version of Link. Very disappointing! This is coming from the viewpoint of someone who's used smartphones since 1999 and BlackBerry since my BlackBerry 9000, so I am NOT trying to put BlackBerry down! But I think discussing the legitimate user issue is reasonable.

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10
    FF22 and Jake2826 like this.
    11-03-16 12:41 PM
    I only quoted to get your attention. I tend to agree but have allowed some version of reality to intrude and accepted some of the privacy issues. But there are 3rd party backup options in the Google Store and don't use the cloud and would save either locally or to an sd-card. Again, you are to some extent abandoning full control to some unknown 3rd party so one has to review REVIEWS and comments and the developer to decide whether or not to trust the app.

It would be nice to know if those who have or are sticking with BB, particularly corporate clients are raising similar security and privacy issues with BB.
    11-03-16 01:20 PM
    SMS backup and restore works well for sms/mms. I keep Contacts and calendars on my own infrastructure so I have no need to back those up.

Sorry to bump this thread, I know it's old....but I was curious what you meant by "I keep Contacts and calendars on my own infrastructure..." I've been looking for solutions to do just that. Can you explain what infrastructure?

Posted via CB10
    01-27-17 01:29 AM
    Sorry to bump this thread, I know it's old....but I was curious what you meant by "I keep Contacts and calendars on my own infrastructure..." I've been looking for solutions to do just that. Can you explain what infrastructure?

Posted via CB10
    I believe, If I remember right, that he has his own server. In my case, all my contacts are saved as local, on my Priv only and not associated with an email address or a cloud of any kind.
    newcollector likes this.
    01-27-17 08:44 AM
    I believe, If I remember right, that he has his own server. In my case, all my contacts are saved as local, on my Priv only and not associated with an email address or a cloud of any kind.
    What do you use to backup the contacts? And how about your calendar - local or cloud(google??) or ???
    01-27-17 02:46 PM
    What do you use to backup the contacts? And how about your calendar - local or cloud(google??) or ???
    Everything is local. Although the stock calendar requires an email address, I very rarely use my calendar for anything other than daily reminders to take medication. Like right now after reading on CB, I need to be medicated!
    I export my contacts to the SD card and then move them to Onedrive via Solid Explorer.
    andy957 likes this.
    01-27-17 03:52 PM
78 123 ...