Hi, I'm trying to assign 911 to a speed dial key but I don't see the option. I can only assign a contact. Has anyone done this?
    03-23-17 07:08 PM
    I guess the bigger question would be why do you feel the need to put 911 on speed dial to begin with. But in answer to the smaller question, did you try to set up a contact such as "Emergency" with 911 as the number?
    FF22 likes this.
    03-23-17 07:57 PM
    I guess the bigger question would be why do you feel the need to put 911 on speed dial to begin with. But in answer to the smaller question, did you try to set up a contact such as "Emergency" with 911 as the number?
    Thinking the same thing lol, who needs 911 on speed dial?.. Me personally I work in the field that contacts the police often, so I have their direct station number as a favorite contact. Phone app > Police
    03-23-17 08:37 PM
    How to set up a speed dial is a fair enough question, and even though I've set them up on my priv before, I now can't work out how to do it, lol! : )
    03-23-17 09:08 PM
    Ahh, just found one way to set a speed dial. I cleared my home screen, pressed down on the screen and then on the next screen chose settings. Keyboard shortcuts, phone speed dial:
    Attached Thumbnails Assigning 911 to speed dial?-9631.jpg  
    03-23-17 09:12 PM
    You never know. Those few seconds you save in an emergency situation can be the difference between life and death. I know, that was probably overly dramatic. Anyway, this could apply to any number not in your contact list, not just 911.

Compare the two:

No speed dial:

1. Open Phone app.
    2. Tap number pad icon.
    3. Tap 911.
    4. Tap green call button.

Speed dial:

1. Reveal keyboard.
    2. Hold down a key.

I'd estimate it's 5 seconds non-speed dial vs. 1.5 seconds speed dial.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-24-17 03:42 PM
    Ahh, just found one way to set a speed dial. I cleared my home screen, pressed down on the screen and then on the next screen chose settings. Keyboard shortcuts, phone speed dial:
    There's an easier way. Just reveal the keyboard and either short- or long-press the key you want to assign. In the menu that comes up, choose "Speed dial".
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    03-24-17 03:43 PM
    There's an easier way. Just reveal the keyboard and either short- or long-press the key you want to assign. In the menu that comes up, choose "Speed dial".
    Ahh, thank you! 😎
    03-24-17 03:59 PM
    Yes, but it still has to be in your contact list. And I understand about all of that which you said above. Sometimes it's needed quickly.
    So did you do as I suggested and make a contact for 911?
    03-24-17 04:12 PM
    Yes, but it still has to be in your contact list. And I understand about all of that which you said above. Sometimes it's needed quickly.
    So did you do as I suggested and make a contact for 911?
    Yep, I followed your suggestion. Thanks!
    03-24-17 04:29 PM
    Yep, I followed your suggestion. Thanks!
    Great! Glad it worked out for you.
    03-24-17 06:47 PM
    India is requiring that all new cell phones starting in 2017 have a dedicated emergency call button.
    And I read a while back that a lot, if not all UE nations were considering similar legislation.

I shudder to think of all the 'butt dials' coming in to the center.
    03-24-17 07:57 PM
    Yes, I have an 'emergency' access point on my phone which shows when the phone has been locked.

If it's swiped then a dial pad comes up, but no other access is given to
    Anything else on the phone. I tried to take a screen shot, but of course denied.
    03-24-17 08:03 PM
    If it's swiped then a dial pad comes up
    So you still have to dial the number? Can you dial any number, or just emergency numbers?
    Where are you located?
    Very curious here, hope you don't mind answering.
    03-25-17 07:27 AM
    So you still have to dial the number? Can you dial any number, or just emergency numbers?
    Where are you located?
    You can only call emergency numbers. I just tried to input a regular phone number and the message came up that it can't call because it's not an emergency number.
    03-25-17 11:23 AM
    Where are you located?
    As mister abrasive posted above, only allows 000. I'm in Australia.

Might add, 000 calls are free, and one of the reasons why these emergency calls on locked screens exists is so that the owner of the phone, or anyone else who picks the locked phone up, can use it in a real emergency. It helps overcome a panic situation for the owner who may not remember their pin if they are feeling under threat or great strain, or if they are injured and can only perform minimum movements.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-25-17 03:38 PM
    So in general, it's actually easier to dial emergency from a lock screen.
    I'll have to check that out next time I see a lock screen. which is pretty rare using trusted location and trusted device.
    03-25-17 08:21 PM
    I'll have to check that out next time I see a lock screen. which is pretty rare using trusted location and trusted device.
    Yeah, that's right. I had to wait until I was away from the house and out of the car to test it!
    03-25-17 08:22 PM
    I believe it even applies before the OS has fully booted (if it's waiting for a password before starting).
    You can also place the call without a Sim card.
    03-25-17 08:30 PM
    Yeah, that's right. I had to wait until I was away from the house and out of the car to test it!
    Mines tied to BT ear piece, which I always have on, so it's gonna be a while before I see a lock screen.
    03-25-17 09:21 PM
    I also think it may use satellite transmission here in Aus, if needs be, which is fantastic if you're lost in the outback, or in strife. That is, when 000 is dialled it locks into the nearest tower, or satellite, depending on the location. It's still free for the user of the phone, and works without location turned on. Of course, the authorities will be able to track you as soon as you've dialled in, cos that's what it's set up to do.
    Last edited by Heavens1; 03-26-17 at 04:29 AM.
    03-25-17 09:47 PM
    The phone won't connect to satellites, the cells may link by sattelite. The phones lack the power, antenna and frequencies.
    There are kits available to adapt a Samsung S series or iPhones to satellite, it's pretty big and bulky.
    03-26-17 07:53 AM
    I miss the feature of old blackberry days were it would allow any call to be made without unlocking the phone
    03-26-17 11:41 AM
    The phone won't connect to satellites, the cells may link by sattelite. The phones lack the power, antenna and frequencies.
    There are kits available to adapt a Samsung S series or iPhones to satellite, it's pretty big and bulky.
    Ahh, okay, well something happens cos I'm aware transmissions can be made, so it must be the linking bit.
    03-26-17 02:13 PM
    I miss the feature of old blackberry days were it would allow any call to be made without unlocking the phone
    Sounds like a security hole.
    04-12-18 11:01 AM