It's the mute button.

Posted via BlackBerry Priv
    Attached Thumbnails ARRRGH. On the PRIV WHAT does the middle button do ? What's it for ?????-59610.jpg  
    01-16-16 03:04 PM
    It only mutes the sound if you have media playing. I wish it would pause my music/video/other media instead of just silencing it. It's pretty useless.

Posted via the BlackBerry slider
    BriniaSona likes this.
    01-16-16 03:30 PM
    That middle button is very useful when I want to silence my phone during meetings etc. The function to automatically end it after x hours is also very useful. I use that button a lot.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Huh. I've used Shush! for a long time for that purpose. Just turn the volume all the way down, and confirm with Shush! how long you want it that way, when to come back on, and at what level.

And I'm surprised BB isn't using the somewhat standard "turn the phone over face down" to stop the ringer for that particular call.
    01-16-16 09:18 PM
    It only mutes the sound if you have media playing. I wish it would pause my music/video/other media instead of just silencing it. It's pretty useless.

Posted via the BlackBerry slider
    Waitttt the middle button on the Priv doesn't pause the media like on older BlackBerrys??

Sent from my Passport
    01-16-16 09:58 PM
    Waitttt the middle button on the Priv doesn't pause the media like on older BlackBerrys??

Sent from my Passport
    Correct.
    01-22-16 10:17 PM
    My middle button was pausing until recently. What the heck? There's no way I can change it back? Lame.
    02-08-16 07:37 AM
    It does not do anything for me
    11-07-16 06:50 AM
    Oh damn, Passport user here on the fence of what to do next... and I gotta say that button was a selling feature for me. I am seriously considering a Priv but I assumed that button would be the same as BB10.

Posted via CB10 from my Phdesktop, the (square)  BlackBerry Passport
    11-15-16 08:52 PM
    It does not do anything for me
    It is supposed be a mute button. I just tested it while watching a Youtube video and it does indeed mute the sound. The video keeps playing with no sound. Handy if you need to quiet your phone instantly. The top button will turn it up if it is not all the way up and the bottom will will turn it down.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-16-16 12:03 AM
    I also use it to mute ringtune when I receive a call (if necessary).
    FF22 likes this.
    11-16-16 01:51 AM
    It's very handy during a phone call. Then it turns the microphone on/off. Wonderful feature. I use it all the time.

As for its usage outside of a call, I have a short press mapped to open BBM, and on long press it opens the Phone app. Programmed with Buttons remapper app.
    newcollector and FF22 like this.
    11-16-16 02:42 AM
    Has any1 tried the 'flip to mute' option in advanced interactions in settings?

I'd still like to use the middle side button for pausing instead of mute but I guess that's a personal preference that I had been used to (and now miss almost daily) on all previously owned BBs.
    11-17-16 10:22 AM
37 12