Got Marshmallow a while back, haven't installed any new apps till yesterday, so just now noticing this.
    I selected removable, or whatever, at the prompt for SD card, not adapt as phone memory. (Sorry, can't remember exact terminology)

No apps can be moved to SD card, none. Those that I had put on SD while still on Lollipop, can't be moved back to internal device memory.
    The option is just not there, not as in greyed out, but as in non-existent.

Anybody know whats up with this?
    Is it possible the device has decided to 'adopt' SD without consulting me? How would I check?
    05-28-16 11:51 AM
    I thought I read that if you do NOT do "adoptable" memory you CANNOT install apps on the sd card. I also thought I read that apps should be moved back to Internal Memory before moving to MM. But my memory is not always the best!!!

I imagine you can check the space on the card one way or another to see how or if it is divided up. Or TURN the phone off and remove the card and check in computer. I don't know how phones with adoptable memory deal with cards being removed.
    05-28-16 01:48 PM
    The existing ones may already be back on the internal.
    The ones that were on SD show up in SD and internal with with Solid Explorer. I'm guessing the app is back on internal, and some storage from app is on SD?
    I did some research, and we should be able to move apps to SD with Marshmallow and removable SD, (at least some of them).
    But the Priv won't do it.

Hopefully someone will chime in that knows.
    05-28-16 03:39 PM
    if you selected removable then your apps that were installed in SD won't be available. MM treats your card as media storage only. As part of the upgrade process there needs to be an option to move all your SD apps back to internal to avoid these problems. If you select adopt as internal it wipes your SD card anyway and encrypts to your device so you can't read it with another and wouldn't recommend this option for PRIV as you internal storage is faster and most times you won't run out of it anyway.

At this point its probably just good to backup your card and start from new so you can reclaim the space from your SD installed apps.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-28-16 04:24 PM
    I did some research, it's totally confusing. This is what I came up with.

If you chose 'adaptable', your SD becomes internal memory, you can no longer see separate listings for internal and SD. This part I think we all get. But, you still retain the option of moving apps, (assuming the apps themselves are movable) between internal and SD. Very confusing because the distinction no longer exists.
    I guess there is some logic to this, as you can put what you consider important apps on the typically much faster internal memory. Internally there is still a difference, even if externally there is not.

If you choose 'portable' storage, the OS moves all apps to the internal, and you no longer have an option to move. But storage for at least some of those apps is located on the SD card. So if you do like I did, and take a quick look with a file manager, you will see those apps listed. If you drill down, (which I didn't) they are simply resource files for that app. In my case mostly empty.

I hope this is a bit clearer than the multi page write ups I was able to find, I'm pretty sure it's accurate. If not please, please correct me!

I don't understand why Google didn't think the logic of having some apps in internal, and some on SD didn't apply for portable.

I'm also unclear if I need to keep the empty app resource files that are on my SD, or if they are just left overs from the Marshmallow update that I can safely delete.
    05-29-16 09:28 AM
    I'm also unclear if I need to keep the empty app resource files that are on my SD, or if they are just left overs from the Marshmallow update that I can safely delete.
    I guess experimentation is in order. Pick the least important of those apps or resource files that are still on the sd card and delete them (you might try backing them up first) and see what happens. Have fun.
    05-29-16 10:14 AM
    I was really hoping some one smarter than me would chime in with some solid answers.
    05-29-16 10:26 AM