So I was thumbing around in the Priv settings the other day and stumbled across the Picture password. I figured I'd try it out, as I'm always looking for a unique and secure way to keep the data in my phone safe.

So I set my number, pick a picture and set a location and away I go.

I go to test the new unlock process and... I just can't seem to find the location. Not sure how exact it's supposed to be, but I'm just not finding it. Eventually I run out of attempts and the phone is wiped.

Talk about overly secure � it locked me out of my own phone!

Please tell me I'm not the only one to have done this.
    04-25-16 10:54 PM
    Lolzzz
    04-25-16 10:55 PM
    pretty sure after the 5th try it asks you to put your pin in as a safety measure.
    curvezzz likes this.
    04-25-16 11:04 PM
    pretty sure after the 5th try it asks you to put your pin in as a safety measure.
    I do NOT think so. That was BB10. I was never asked to choose either a password or 4-digit pin number when I created the Picture Password on the Priv. Which is a definite oversight. There should be a default or fallback mode.

OP/Marc: From what I've read, the original picture password was pretty exacting but I thought that they had relaxed the TARGET.

One thing to make entry easier is do NOT place your finger ON YOUR NUMBER. You can place a finger anywhere so that you can fully see your number or the various places where your number is. For instance, if your number is 0 (zero), you can put your finger on 5 so that you can slide the matrix and move the 0 to your target. You don't want your "large, klutzy" finger blocking or on top of your number.

Sorry about your wipe.

and WELCOME to Crackberry.
    WT44 likes this.
    04-26-16 12:24 AM
    I do NOT think so. That was BB10. I was never asked to choose either a password or 4-digit pin number when I created the Picture Password on the Priv. Which is a definite oversight. There should be a default or fallback mode.

OP/Marc: From what I've read, the original picture password was pretty exacting but I thought that they had relaxed the TARGET.

One thing to make entry easier is do NOT place your finger ON YOUR NUMBER. You can place a finger anywhere so that you can fully see your number or the various places where your number is. For instance, if your number is 0 (zero), you can put your finger on 5 so that you can slide the matrix and move the 0 to your target. You don't want your "large, klutzy" finger blocking or on top of your number.

Sorry about your wipe.

and WELCOME to Crackberry.
    It will ask you to type in BlackBerry on the fifth try but you are right it doesn't make you put in a pin on the priv. I wish it did. The other part is right. Touch the screen somewhere away from the number and move it to your spot. Love picture password

Posted with my shiny new Priv
    04-26-16 01:15 AM
    I got scary close to wiping mine at the beginning, so i switched OFF the setting , "wipe after 10 failed unlock attempts" so now you get a time delay to unlock phone instead of a wipe. Im not a fan of wiping locked phones.
    04-26-16 05:36 AM
    I will test it later but it used to have pw option after 5 failed attempts. Also during set up it shows the circumference of the location that will unlock the device.

Posted via the BlackBerry� Priv
    04-26-16 05:53 AM
    So I was thumbing around in the Priv settings the other day and stumbled across the Picture password. I figured I'd try it out, as I'm always looking for a unique and secure way to keep the data in my phone safe.

So I set my number, pick a picture and set a location and away I go.

I go to test the new unlock process and... I just can't seem to find the location. Not sure how exact it's supposed to be, but I'm just not finding it. Eventually I run out of attempts and the phone is wiped.

Talk about overly secure � it locked me out of my own phone!

Please tell me I'm not the only one to have done this.
    Yeah when you unlock with picture password don't put you're finger on the number, put it somewhere else and drag the number to the spot , it will work every time , putting finger on number you can't see where you are putting it. Hope this helps.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-26-16 07:09 AM
    It will ask you to type in BlackBerry on the fifth try but you are right it doesn't make you put in a pin on the priv. I wish it did. The other part is right. Touch the screen somewhere away from the number and move it to your spot. Love picture password

But then what happens? For instance: I can't remember the position and enter it wrong five times. I now TYPE BLACKBERRY. Does it let me (or anyone) in? Or do I keep moving the grid and failing? In BB10, you could then enter the PIN you created when enabling Picture Password.

Something is wrong with this current system.

It would be nice if one of the BB folks could chime in on this subject.
    04-26-16 09:29 AM
    I will test it later but it used to have pw option after 5 failed attempts. Also during set up it shows the circumference of the location that will unlock the device.

Just tested it, something changed! It used to give you the option to enter the pw after 5 failed attempts. Now you enter BlackBerry then it goes back to the picture.

04-26-16 11:55 AM
    But then what happens? For instance: I can't remember the position and enter it wrong five times. I now TYPE BLACKBERRY. Does it let me (or anyone) in? Or do I keep moving the grid and failing? In BB10, you could then enter the PIN you created when enabling Picture Password.

Something is wrong with this current system.

It would be nice if one of the BB folks could chime in on this subject.
    It gives you five more tries. I'd suggest remembering your lock position lol

04-26-16 12:45 PM
    Are you guys on Marshmallow or Lollipop still?
    04-26-16 12:45 PM
    Just tested it, something changed! It used to give you the option to enter the pw after 5 failed attempts. Now you enter BlackBerry then it goes back to the picture.

Posted via the BlackBerry™ Priv
    AND? So you can try infinite times and never get in or wiped?
    04-26-16 12:48 PM
    Are you guys on Marshmallow or Lollipop still?
    Oh, so glad you dropped in!

Lollipop. I have not pushed my luck in testing what happens.

But as I mentioned, in BB10, when setting up Picture Password, you had to first establish a 4-digit pin number and then pick your Picture Password settings. Then if you failed solving the Picture X number of times, you were asked to enter your PIN number.

When setting up Picture Password on the Priv, there was NO prompt to create a PIN as a precursor to the Picture Password setup. But, as noted, I have not tested my luck on too many failures.

How is it suppose to work on either Lolly or Marshy?

edited to add, as a Verizon customer, I won't see Marsh for eons, I'd guess!!!
    04-26-16 12:52 PM
    I'm on lollipop. Vzw hasn't seen fit to release mm yet. I hated picture password when I got my first bb10 phone because I couldn't ever get it to work right. Once I figured it out I've used it every day for 2.5 years

04-26-16 12:57 PM
    AND? So you can try infinite times and never get in or wiped?
    I have the wipe option on, haven't tried without it. It seems it will time you out if wipe is disabled.

04-26-16 12:57 PM
    I have the wipe option on, haven't tried without it. It seems it will time you out if wipe is disabled.

Posted via the BlackBerry™ Priv
    C_Bryant appeared. Let's see how it is suppose to work.
    Last edited by F2; 04-26-16 at 01:49 PM.
    04-26-16 01:09 PM
    This is fixed with marshmallow

04-26-16 10:11 PM
    This is fixed with marshmallow

So, you have to create a PIN in order to enable Picture Password in MM?
    04-26-16 11:24 PM
    Thats right. and it works so much better
    04-27-16 02:21 AM
    I've used it on my Z10 and Passport since the beginning NEVER had an issue.. .. tried it on my PRIV (lollipop) promptly wiped my phone AND SD card with over 2000 pictures. I don't know if I want to go through that again.

04-27-16 05:33 AM
    I've used it on my Z10 and Passport since the beginning NEVER had an issue.. .. tried it on my PRIV (lollipop) promptly wiped my phone AND SD card with over 2000 pictures. I don't know if I want to go through that again.

I always have used picture password and find it much easier on the PRIV than it was on my Z10, Z30 or Passport. The sweet spot on the PRIV is larger and I have options I can set after 10 failed attempts. (not just wipe). I also LOVE the fact that I can set the phone to not lock at all if I am at certain GPS locations, i.e. Home.

Also, I think I would be taking out my SD card with over 2000 pictures if I had gone through 9 password tries and the phone was saying ' 1 more attempt and they're gone'.
    wincyUt likes this.
    04-27-16 05:54 AM

I used to do that all the time on my Z30.... it always took two or three attempts until I figured out NOT to put my finger on the number.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-27-16 05:59 AM

Oh, did it wipe the separate sd-card? I did not think it did that.
    04-27-16 08:07 AM
    Happened in November, at no point did I see any mention of it potentially wiping the SD card. I figured the phone was new so what was the big deal if it went back to factory settings. Picture password on the PRIV was laggy and extremely inaccurate. Like I've said, I've used it for years before hand.

04-27-16 06:58 PM
28 12