Do we really need an antivirus on a BlackBerry Priv?
    01-05-17 03:27 AM
    Do you really need anti-virus on ANY computer?
    it's a matter of opinion, I guess. Some will say no, some will say Yes!

Personally, I wouldn't leave home without it. Especially if you use the free WiFi from a business like Starbucks (for example) Free WiFi has NO security.... NONE!
    that makes your device EASY to hack!
    A Network Security/Anti-virus program is the single most important piece of software you should have to protect your Computers, from desktop to handheld!

It's a matter of opinion, I guess!
    FF22 likes this.
    01-05-17 04:03 AM
    No, you don't.

There's nothing these "antivirus" programs can do for you which isn't already done by the system itself. The only way you could get some type of malware on your phone is by installing it yourself. And for that, you first have to check the box "Allow installation of apps from unknown sources" under Settings --> Security and then install the APK containing the malware.
    Matt J and Bucky2016 like this.
    01-05-17 08:40 AM
    I think we need, though. When installing a third party app, an antivirus, like ESET for example, will prompt you with a message like: ( THREAT FOUND malicious_application.apk ) giving you the option to remove it, before the installation process continues, and without the antivirus you can install the app without even knowing that is malware.
    01-05-17 09:20 AM
    What are best antivirus apps?
    01-05-17 09:25 AM
    If you regularly install wild APK files from dubious sources, you might be right. But if you only install apps from the Play Store or Amazon ... or use other safe sources like apkmirror.com, it's a waste of resources (and probably money). Also remember that antivirus products can only detect viruses they already know. They're no protection agains 0-days or other new threats. And there are lots of ways to circumvent detection by such products so you might get a false sense of security.

Common sense is a much better antivirus product than anything you could install (and pay for).

EDIT: Oh, by the way, antivirus apps on Android CAN NOT intercept the installation of a malicious app. That's a system process no app can interfere with. And antivirus apps can only scan "public" storage areas, e.g. your SD card or the shared "Internal storage". If some other app decides to download a malicious file to its own private storage area, the antivirus app won't see that.
    Matt J and Wezard like this.
    01-05-17 09:27 AM
    ESET will detect any malicious app.
    Malicious apps CAN be detected, even if you install them yourself or some other apps do that on their own, installing malicious files. But I can speak only for ESET. I don't think all android antiviruses can do that.
    Last edited by DintisorAlb; 01-05-17 at 10:04 AM.
    01-05-17 09:49 AM
    ESET will detect any malicious app.
    Malicious apps CAN be detected, even if you install them yourself or some other apps do that on their own, installing malicious files. But I can speak only for ESET. I don't think all android antiviruses can do that.
    Yes, scanning apk files of the installed apps is no big problem. But what is it good for if it detects it only AFTER you have installed it?
    01-05-17 10:27 AM
    In the process of installing, while in the middle of the installation, it will ask you if you want to continue, or remove it. So no harm is done to your device, if you choose to remove it, of course.
    Easy.

P.S. And even if you install a malicious app, by mistake, until you actually open the app, it will do no damage.
    01-05-17 11:50 AM
    I've never used an anti-virus app on any of my BlackBerry devices, and have never once had a malware issue, and I've been using BlackBerry since 2006. BlackBerry differs from other devices in that it not only has mobile security in it's software, but also it's built into it's hardware. Other companies don't seem to care as much about mobile security as BlackBerry does. I think that's because most users really aren't that concerned about security until something bad happens.
    misterabrasive likes this.
    01-05-17 12:11 PM
    P.S. And even if you install a malicious app, by mistake, until you actually open the app, it will do no damage.
    Apps usually have the right to autostart themselves, so I won't be sure about that ...
    Wezard likes this.
    01-05-17 12:27 PM
    You know, if you so eagerly want to throw your money (or movement profile) at the antivirus industry, just do it. But please never complain about a slow phone or bad battery performance.

And what was the point of your initial question if you already answered it for yourself?
    Wezard likes this.
    01-05-17 12:27 PM
    I asked: On BlackBerry, not on every other android device. BlackBerry has it's own security up to date patches, like Samsung has KNOX.
    So, not every android device is so secure.

My opinion is that on HTC ( Has S-ON ), Samsung ( Has KNOX ) and BlackBerry, there is really no need for an antivirus. I use it, since I often install third party apps, but for people with other android brands, which are not that secure, I think an antivirus is a good choice.
    01-05-17 01:27 PM
    Antivirus apps on Android are next to useless as long as you stick to downloading from Google Play Store and don't allow installs from unknown sources (default is do not allow). I'd even keep Amazon at a distance because they don't make it clear how they vett apps, if they even do so. Antivirus can't prevent a problem before it starts which is what most people want, it's not a firewall. Chrome will notify you that you're downloading something potentially harmful if you get an apk from any site that's not Google Play, even XDA. The problem is antivirus works like a security camera - it sees and notifies only after there's someone inside doing bad things. Google Play Store is the security system but it only works if it's used.
    01-05-17 01:57 PM
    SCREENSHOT ADDED: As you can see, it CAN prevent before it happened.

That message is while installing a suspicious app, not while scanning already installed apps, and as you can see you have the option cu stop the installation and remove the app.
    Clicking on Remove, will stop the installation.

SCREENSHOT REMOVED ( New one will be added soon )
    Last edited by DintisorAlb; 01-05-17 at 02:36 PM.
    01-05-17 02:03 PM
    SCREENSHOT ADDED: As you can see, it CAN prevent before it happened.
    As you can see in your screenshot: It reads "App installed". in the background. So it already has installed the app successfully.
    01-05-17 02:19 PM
    It doesn't matter. It does the same thing while installing apps.
    I will install a suspicious app, and make my own screenshoot, and you will see that I am right.
    01-05-17 02:20 PM
    Malware, adware, malicious ads, drive by downloads... as well as an app that may front a Trojan or worm, all reasons for being concerned.

Phishing relies on someone being careless, thinking that off file is what it pretends to be, is more common way.
    In some cases nothing happens for weeks or months and just sits.
    Malware can hide itself and know when (Kaspersky) is scanning.

Securing home, Internet of Things, making sure your video am on front door or Webcam on that laptop is secure...

Millions of Android devices are not fully patched or upto date on security. Exchanging email and messaging with someone might be a problem. Their account gets hacked and all their contacts, and your emails and I formation along with it and suddenly you're getting spared and worse.

No fun.

With smart TV, smart cars, smarter highways, and Bluetooth 5 has stronger ranges. Your car, phone, is interacting with the environment. In new ways.
    01-05-17 02:45 PM
    Antivirus apps on Android are next to useless as long as you stick to downloading from Google Play Store and don't allow installs from unknown sources (default is do not allow). I'd even keep Amazon at a distance because they don't make it clear how they vett apps, if they even do so. Antivirus can't prevent a problem before it starts which is what most people want, it's not a firewall. Chrome will notify you that you're downloading something potentially harmful if you get an apk from any site that's not Google Play, even XDA. The problem is antivirus works like a security camera - it sees and notifies only after there's someone inside doing bad things. Google Play Store is the security system but it only works if it's used.
    This.
    01-05-17 02:47 PM
    Malware, adware, malicious ads, drive by downloads... as well as an app that may front a Trojan or worm, all reasons for being concerned.

Phishing relies on someone being careless, thinking that off file is what it pretends to be, is more common way.
    In some cases nothing happens for weeks or months and just sits.
    Malware can hide itself and know when (Kaspersky) is scanning.

Securing home, Internet of Things, making sure your video am on front door or Webcam on that laptop is secure...

Millions of Android devices are not fully patched or upto date on security. Exchanging email and messaging with someone might be a problem. Their account gets hacked and all their contacts, and your emails and I formation along with it and suddenly you're getting spared and worse.

No fun.

With smart TV, smart cars, smarter highways, and Bluetooth 5 has stronger ranges. Your car, phone, is interacting with the environment. In new ways.
    Jan 5 Security patch - a lot of good stuff but realize how vulnerable system is without.

https://source.android.com/security/...017-01-01.html
    01-05-17 02:55 PM
    Most of you, like @mbirth talk without even know what are you talking about.

SCREENSHOT SOON
    It will show how the antivirus app will stop a malicious app, while you are trying to install it.

Installing an antivirus on an android device is a good smart thing to do.
    01-05-17 02:57 PM
    Most of you, like @mbirth talk without even know what are you talking about.

SCREENSHOT SOON
    It will show how the antivirus app will stop a malicious app, while you are trying to install it.

Installing an antivirus on an android device is a good smart thing to do.
    If I had to install an antivirus on a mobile OS, I probably wouldn't use said OS. Trust me when I say the companies behind them find it hilarious.

Still, I say if it makes you feel better, install one. Or two. Can't be too safe.

For most Android users with experience that use approved app repositories, antiviral apps are looked upon like app killers: unneeded window dressing.
    Last edited by Tre Lawrence; 01-05-17 at 03:30 PM.
    01-05-17 03:17 PM
    01-05-17 03:28 PM
    EDITED
    Bottom line, I think if you install third party apps, it's better to install an antivirus.
    @TreLawrence
    Last edited by DintisorAlb; 01-05-17 at 03:51 PM.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    01-05-17 03:31 PM
    You do know that's the file scanner scanning some APK you downloaded but did not install yet, don't you? That only works - as I have explained earlier - if the file is in some publicly accessible folder. There are a few ways to work around that if some app wanted to circumvent detection.
    01-05-17 03:47 PM
47 12