Why would anyone want to root the Venice? It's custom keyboard and sliding mechanism kind of require a customized version of Android, no? And it's not as if BlackBerry is going to fill it with bloatware like Samsung.

Posted via CB10
    You know, I never even thought about that. Many of my friends on Android root to tweak and load custom roms. But you're right, If you could install a custom rom on the Venice, the keyboard may not work properly or at all. Thanks for the insight on that.

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    lift and deadcowboy like this.
    09-17-15 04:24 PM
    Even BlackBerry can't guarantee that there won't be any exploitable vulnerabilities. I think what they meant with security is secure data connections over BlackBerry servers which they have an agreement with Google as its been rumored. And yes, of course the Bootloader will noch be unlockable, but I think root will definetly come!

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 02:15 AM
    Why would anyone want to root the Venice? It's custom keyboard and sliding mechanism kind of require a customized version of Android, no? And it's not as if BlackBerry is going to fill it with bloatware like Samsung.

Posted via CB10
    There is even a good reason for rooting it because of the keyboard. The German qwertz layout will not have special characters, so, as I did with the Droid 3, I could map a key combination to have my � � and �.

That's a great reason to root that device.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 02:18 AM
    There is even a good reason for rooting it because of the keyboard. The German qwertz layout will not have special characters, so, as I did with the Droid 3, I could map a key combination to have my � � and �.

That's a great reason to root that device.

Posted via CB10
    Why won't there be any special characters?

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 09:32 PM
    Someone said "If I can't make a secure Android, I won't make an Android"..oh, I remember now. John Chen.

Forgive my typos, I don't look when I type
    lift likes this.
    09-19-15 03:24 AM
    Someone said "If I can't make a secure Android, I won't make an Android"..oh, I remember now. John Chen.

Yip and remember BlackBerry always sticks to their words..

/s

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 04:41 AM
    Yip and remember BlackBerry always sticks to their words..

/s

Posted via CB10
    We're talking just weeks ago. If BlackBerry gives up on security it gives up on business.

09-19-15 05:21 AM
    Found this on XDA dev site.

Android Venice Slider - better not be rootable-untitled.png
    09-19-15 09:02 AM
    The Venice forum on XDA is the third highest subforum. People are legitimately excited for this phone.

Posted via CB10
    ayngling and MO3iusONE like this.
    09-19-15 09:53 AM
    The Venice forum on XDA is the third highest subforum. People are legitimately excited for this phone.
    Not yet very active though . . .

Android Venice Slider - better not be rootable-img_20150920_022108.png

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 12:23 PM

Posted via CB10
    We will see bb Venice ported apps for other devices very soon . XDA developers are waiting.
    09-19-15 01:32 PM
    It's crazy to me the way Chen talked about 'if I can secure android. ' only to find out he is using grsec for his security. Grsec is a series of patches to the Linux kernel that hardens it from a security perspective. Not only is it not original but there are at least two competitors I know of SELINUX and AppArmor. I installed grsec on my arch linux distro years before bb10 came out but Chen just figured out how to secure android by applying a decades old patch? Does he think we are stupid.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition
    09-19-15 01:53 PM
    I know all you android lovers WANT and HOPE this is going to be rootable but it won't be. Please get that through your heads. As much as you all keep wishing and hoping. BlackBerry has made it clear that if they can not "secure" android they won't do an android device. Secure means locked bootloader and NO root. BlackBerry has too much at stake to allow the phone to be rooted. I really wish you people would stop with the root dreams!!!
    Blackberry need to be carefully about marketing it like this. If they claim it's unrootable that's gonna put a big target on them, just look at the Blackphone, remember it is android after all. If they don't build it up and root is gained then there's no loss to reputation.
    09-19-15 01:55 PM
    Not only is it not original but there are at least two competitors I know of SELINUX and AppArmor. I installed grsec on my arch linux distro years before bb10 came out but Chen just figured out how to secure android by applying a decades old patch? Does he think we are stupid.
    I agree, but isn't this what every company does to appease the masses? Apple just introduced an innovative iPad Pro, while the Surface Pro has been out for ages, now in its third iteration.

The way I see it he just wants to set the stage and make us hopeful they can bet their brand on securing Android, after they have already decided that they will.

Most people care more about productivity and leisure apps than security anyway, so as long as Android for Work + BES12 can ensure our employers' data is reasonably safe in its own partition, we can recklessly download all the malware we want to our personal partition and all is still well.
    09-19-15 02:00 PM
    Non of the android device is not rootable till now. Venice will not be exceptional.
    09-19-15 02:04 PM
    I agree, but isn't this what every company does to appease the masses? Apple just introduced an innovative iPad Pro, while the Surface Pro has been out for ages, now in its third iteration.

The way I see it he just wants to set the stage and make us hopeful they can bet their brand on securing Android, after they have already decided that they will.

Most people care more about productivity and leisure apps than security anyway, so as long as Android for Work + BES12 can ensure our employers' data is reasonably safe in its own partition, we can recklessly download all the malware we want to our personal partition and all is still well.
    It may Be. but my problem with it is that they are sitting on a much better, unique way to introduce a secure kernel QNX. Anyone can use grsec and I bet all devices marketed as android for work will. Anyone can use QNX too but they would have to pay BlackBerry a licensing fee as well. Huge missed opportunity in my opinion.

09-19-15 02:43 PM
    It may Be. but my problem with it is that they are sitting on a much better, unique way to introduce a secure kernel QNX. Anyone can use grsec and I bet all devices marketed as android for work will. Anyone can use QNX too but they would have to pay BlackBerry a licensing fee as well. Huge missed opportunity in my opinion.
    This would be my dream scenario as well. Really. Would make most purists feel that this was a continuation of BB10, not a replacement, and would really give them a kick*ss product. I really hoped that they had been working on this since John Chen started, and that this was his big play all along. An already certified ultra-secure certified OS with an android GUI, so all Google Play apps worked out of the box.

I bet they did consider it... and considered it again. I fear, however, that there are challenges to this that we do not know about. Maybe Google did not agree, so they could not get Google Play on such an Android "fork". Or maybe it was just too costly to do it (for now), or would take too long.

Maybe this is what they are working towards, but it is taking a long time (it is a monumental task). Maybe they want to release an android with a hardened kernel that is "good enough" for most BYOD enterprise customers now, while keeping heads of state and other COBO device people on BB10, and then work on merging the two in the long run, with the QNX kernel as its foundation.
    00stryder likes this.
    09-19-15 02:57 PM
    Yeah. I don't see any reason why Google would agree to let them do this. If anything it weakens other android for work products which would probably **** off their other oems. But a boy can dream.

ayngling likes this.
    09-19-15 03:00 PM

Posted via CB10
    They just want to attack it with all they have. They all want to try to be the first to root a BlackBerry. Boy, do I feel sorry for BlackBerry if it does get rooted.
    09-19-15 10:35 PM
    They just want to attack it with all they have. They all want to try to be the first to root a BlackBerry. Boy, do I feel sorry for BlackBerry if it does get rooted.
    It will get rooted.

Did everyone just forget that the playbook was rooted multiple times?

That's a BlackBerry device through and through.

idhbar likes this.
    09-20-15 10:37 AM
    Oh, that's disappointing. I think there's a bit more to it than that, as I do see excitement building on other social websites, too.
    09-20-15 10:59 AM
46 12