Can someone explain the purpose/benefits of widgets and do the eat up data? If they do eat up data how can the be turned off.

Posted w/ Priv
    11-18-15 06:50 PM
    widgets are basically a little app that runs on your home screen. For instance, the weather, a sports score line, a stock tickers, a battery monitor...etc. Do they use battery? sure. How much? depends on how many you have running. Do they use memory? of course.

turn off? don't put any on your home screen
    jt597 and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-18-15 07:07 PM
    widgets are basically a little app that runs on your home screen. For instance, the weather, a sports score line, a stock tickers, a battery monitor...etc. Do they use battery? sure. How much? depends on how many you have running. Do they use memory? of course.

Thanks Jaydee5799! When you say they use memory you mean data? If a certain app on home screen has 3 dots underneath does that mean widget is on? What about all the widgets icons when you go to widget screen ?

Posted w/ Priv
    11-18-15 07:14 PM
    Couldn't you just ask this in Android Central? This is getting old.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-15 07:24 PM
    Thanks Jaydee5799! When you say they use memory you mean data? If a certain app on home screen has 3 dots underneath does that mean widget is on? What about all the widgets icons when you go to widget screen ?

Posted w/ Priv
    the 3 dots means theres a widget for the app i believe. I think Blackberry "borrowed" the idea from another developer. it doesnt mean its on, though you can swipe it to access it briefly.

Not all widgets will use data
    Things like weather widgets will use data for syncing. you can choose how often you want it to sync.
    SMS widgets would not need to use data as they get the info from the phone, same with clock and battery widgets.

If you used BB10 think of widgets as more useful and interactive Active Frames.

Some widgets carry out functions, like toggling wifi or the flash on your phone without needing to access apps or settings.
    11-18-15 07:30 PM

Posted via CB10
    Its the correct forum for him to be asking.
    Your comment has no place here
    Frosty_Power and jt597 like this.
    11-18-15 07:31 PM
    It irritates me greatly that CB instituted that forcible reading clause. Now we can't skip over threads we don't want to read...
    Adam Frix, darkehawke and jt597 like this.
    11-18-15 07:56 PM

So it is different than having the app icon on my screen on my Blackberry Classic? Sort of sounds like it is a mini app running all the time on the screen?
    11-18-15 07:57 PM

Posted via CB10
    Ignorant replies from BB10 users are getting old too

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-18-15 08:02 PM
    So it is different than having the app icon on my screen on my Blackberry Classic? Sort of sounds like it is a mini app running all the time on the screen?
    Something like that. Like a miniaturized applet. One doesn't need to open the full app to access information.

It's possible to get really creative... widgets that open other widgets, hidden ones, gesture-initiated widgets, etc.
    jt597 and kitmo like this.
    11-18-15 08:07 PM