I tried my best to resist the urge and NOT buy this phone. I'm an Android guy -- I have a Note 5 and a 6P and I cycle through phones more than I'd care to admit. I've also had stints with BB10 phones just for the fun of trying something different, but could never stick with them because of the weak ecosystem.

Well, I went into T-Mobile on Wednesday afternoon to just take a look at the Priv, and I ended up walking out with one in a bag. The main thing that held me back from getting one this entire time was the hardware issues everyone seemed to be having. I was mildly impressed with the hardware of the display model, so ended up getting one for a 'test drive'. So here's my early impressions:

1) While the build quality on mine isn't perfect, it's a lot better than I was anticipating. I was bracing myself for a mushy back panel like most reviewers and users have been complaining about, but mine is completely solid without any give. However, when my screen is closed there is a bit of give and click in the lower area in the center of the screen (no noticeable clickiness on the edges). It doesn't take much pressure to feel/hear the click either. I'd equate the pressure required to activating force touch on an iPhone. It's slightly annoying, but I've been able to overlook it thus far.

2) No noticeable heat issues. I install GSam on all my phones to monitor heat and battery, and I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary.

3) Performance has been every bit as pleasant as my Note 5, but not quite as smooth as my 6P. I'm expecting further updates and optimizations to improve the overall performance, but as it stands it's nothing to scoff at.

4) Battery has seemed decent throughout my first day. I wouldn't say great (yet -- new phones need a few days to settle in), but definitely on par with my Note.

5) Front camera is pretty atrocious. I know this is BlackBerry and things like this aren't always a priority, but I would have liked to see a better one on their first Android-powered device. The rear camera seems fine, and competitive with the 6P in good lighting.

6) I am thoroughly enjoying the physical keyboard. Still adjusting to it, but getting better every time I use it. Key travel feels fine to me, while the size of the keys are fine for my medium-sized hands.

7) I'm not sold on the hub implementation in Android. I enjoyed using it when I had a BB10 device, but to me it just feels a little redundant on Android. I'll keep using it and see if it can change my mind though.

8) I've always been a fan of clean, stock Android, but I am really enjoying some of BB's software customizations. The fact that they kept a stock look while adding useful tweaks is impressive, especially considering this is their first time developing an Android device.

9) Cell service seems poor to me. I'm usually around 3 to 4 bars of LTE in my house with both my Note and 6P, while I struggle to get 1-2 bars with the Priv. Not sure if it's weak radios or what, but it's pretty disappointing.

10) The front-facing speaker is only okay. The sound isn't nearly as loud or as clear as I'd hoped. The 6P destroys it on the sound front, but that's to be expected with its dual speaker setup.

11) The screen is nice. Not as good as the display on the Note 5, but similar to the panel on the 6P. I haven't had an issue with brightness or anything.

Sorry for the long post guys, but let me know if you have any questions. I think I'm pretty qualified based solely on the amount of Android phones I've owned. At this point I'm not positive I'll be keeping the Priv. I'm enjoying it a lot, but not sure if I'm willing to sell my Note 5 to keep it. Maybe when my tax returns come in I can justify myself having three phones...lol

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-05-16 01:24 AM
    Doesn't the ui seem a little bit unclean? I mean like it has more than it should for the os5? Because when comparing it side by side with smartphones like the GS6 I seems a little off and bloated.
    02-05-16 02:06 AM
    Thanks for a balanced review.
    Superfly_FR and nicholasg like this.
    02-05-16 02:28 AM
    The signal thing has me worried. Want to buy it as soon as it's available at stores in India.

Doesn't it have Paratek Antenna technology? My Passport is a life saver in many dingy areas where coverage is very poor to non existent in my second android that I always carry along with my Passport.... thinking the priv should replace that android, but this signal thing is holding me back.

On Docomo in India.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-16 03:06 AM
    Dude why would you want to buy a priv? Blackberry screwed us two times already.

Posted via CB10 from my BlackBerry Passport
    tx ram and Snappy Phoenix like this.
    02-05-16 03:32 AM
    About the cell service and bars...

Have you checked the strength by with the help of some apps, or possibly by typing *#*#4636#*#* in phone dialer?

Compare the phones by not looking at the bars, but by their dBm strength. I think that the lower the number is, the stronger the signal is.

BlackBerry Z30 STA100-5 10.3.2.2836/2876
    02-05-16 03:51 AM
    Great review. Thanks for your input.
    02-05-16 04:21 AM
    I find that the call quality,reception is way better than my Z30 which I thought was pretty cool.

From what I read on the forums cell reception seems to show less bars than actuality. Not sure why this would be the case.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for BlackBerry PRIV
    02-05-16 04:24 AM
    Good balanced review and I should be picking up my Priv from T Mobile next week sometime and I will also post my reviews of the device.
    02-05-16 05:08 AM
    Something is wrong with the reception on this phone, see the 2 photos below. This is a side by side I just did this morning with an iPhone 6s on the same network. -60dbm would be perfect while -112dbm would be crap. As you can see the iPhone is around the -71dbm (steady)mark which is excellent while the Priv is at -94 and not steady.

Attached Thumbnails An Android geeks first impressions of the Priv-53292.jpg  
    02-05-16 05:58 AM
    Sorry meant to post in another thread.

02-05-16 05:58 AM
    Nice fair review from an Android user. For me I would have never switched from my BB Passport if the android didn't have the HUB. I have the an android tablet and hated the email, contact interface.
    02-05-16 07:33 AM
    I came from a note5 as well, I'm a huge android geek so this review is spot on with my thoughts. I'm getting about 50% better battery life than the note5 after the first 2-3 days.
    02-05-16 07:40 AM
    Something is wrong with the reception on this phone, see the 2 photos below. This is a side by side I just did this morning with an iPhone 6s on the same network. -60dbm would be perfect while -112dbm would be crap. As you can see the iPhone is around the -71dbm (steady)mark which is excellent while the Priv is at -94 and not steady.

The radios in the new iPhones are awesome. It's the same one in the Nexus 5X, 6P, and Moto X Pure.
    02-05-16 07:53 AM
    Are you from Blackberry marketing department?

02-05-16 08:09 AM
    Good balanced review and I should be picking up my Priv from T Mobile next week sometime and I will also post my reviews of the device.
    You still didn't get it, I figured you would have it first day on tmo.

02-05-16 08:27 AM
    You still didn't get it, I figured you would have it first day on tmo.

I was going to, but I have been busy catching up on my projects, next week I have some free time, so no big hurry.
    02-05-16 09:23 AM

I am a bartender who's finishing up his CS degree, so nope. I didn't give it a "glowing" review... if at this moment I had to choose either the Priv or the Note/6P, I would not be choosing the Priv.

As far as the first comment about the UI; I find it refreshing that is resembles stock Android, while adding useful features. Is it perfect? Absolutely not. But for being BB's first attempt with Android I can't help but be impressed.

02-05-16 11:42 AM
    Great review. Thank for the information.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-16 12:50 PM
    About the cell service and bars...

Have you checked the strength by with the help of some apps, or possibly by typing *#*#4636#*#* in phone dialer?

Compare the phones by not looking at the bars, but by their dBm strength. I think that the lower the number is, the stronger the signal is.

BlackBerry Z30 STA100-5 10.3.2.2836/2876
    my priv signal is rubbish and its not just the bars,my classic and passport get 4g and my priv using the same sim card and in the same place only gets 3g at best and its not only me there are lots of other ppl with the same sort of problem
    02-05-16 01:18 PM
    Thanks for a impartial review.
    02-06-16 05:29 AM

Even if one has had no experience with an Android device, you can tell from the review that OP gave his unbiased opinion. Would hardly call that review glowing in favor of the Priv.
    Snappy Phoenix likes this.
    02-06-16 10:23 AM

I don't trust the bars or the reported signal strength. Reason being (and as you'll note in your own image), the Priv does LTE_CA, meaning it connects to multiple bands.

For me, I might have a rock solid band 17, but if it adds in band 2 or 4, it seems to show lower bars overall, yet has no issues with call quality.

I'm not sure that Android cleanly handles carrier aggregation when showing signal strength, and I'm not sure if its a Droid issue, or a radio file issue. I do know that when I use a "radio" app, it generally only shows me one radio band, and not all in use, when reporting signal levels.
    02-06-16 03:31 PM
    Thanks for posting. A good read.

Still have not pulled the trigger but I probably will.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    02-06-16 03:52 PM
    Enjoyed reading your impressions, thanks!

Posted via CB10
    02-07-16 01:01 PM