Out of curiosity, I decided to disable Hub and check out other email clients. The reason for this is that with the Android notification system, I found it faster to respond to sms, WA, and FB notifications from the Android Notification shutter than the Hub. Using the Android Notification shutter removes one additional step (in my opinion). I compose directly from the app by assigning SMS and Yaata (sms) to two of my three swipe up gesture slots. My email needs include Gmail (personal) and MS Exchange (work). For me I was looking for push performance similar to the Hub, a slick interface, and an extensive feature set that includes night mode. I had a look at TypeApp/Bluemail, Nine, Mailwise, Aquamail, Cloudmagic, Mymail, K-9, and Mail.RU; these comprise the majority of the popular email and recommended email clients in the Android world.

Unfortunately, the above email clients either suffer from atrocious exchange push performance (TypeApp/Bluemail, Aqua Mail, Cloudmagic), questionable data mining/intermediary servers (Typeapp/Bluemail), clunky interface (K-9), inability to support both gmail and exchange push (Nine, Mail.Ru, Mailwise), or a combination of the above. MailWise comes closest for me. Gmail fetch only is supported (5 minute default) which I think I can live with, but no dark mode. I didn't try the actual Gmail app, but I'll give it a go and give an update (I know it doesn't have too many customization options and no dark mode).

When push comes to shove, however, I think we Priv users don't realize how good we have it. When I re-enabled Hub, whoa....made me realize how reliable and fantastic IMAP/Exchange push performance is. Add in a dark mode and perhaps take some cues from Typeapp/Bluemail and we're golden.

Any other experiences to share?

Cheers.
    c_bryant34 likes this.
    07-25-16 02:00 PM
    i personally think android notifications beat the Hub hands down and i have never looked back. don't miss that hub at all....all cluttered with a ton of different social account. I much prefer the android notifications with a swipe down and separate apps. to each his own i guess.
    07-25-16 02:04 PM
    Out of curiosity, I decided to disable Hub and check out other email clients. The reason for this is that with the Android notification system, I found it faster to respond to sms, WA, and FB notifications from the Android Notification shutter than the Hub. Using the Android Notification shutter removes one additional step (in my opinion). I compose directly from the app by assigning SMS and Yaata (sms) to two of my three swipe up gesture slots. My email needs include Gmail (personal) and MS Exchange (work). For me I was looking for push performance similar to the Hub, a slick interface, and an extensive feature set that includes night mode. I had a look at TypeApp/Bluemail, Nine, Mailwise, Aquamail, Cloudmagic, Mymail, K-9, and Mail.RU; these comprise the majority of the popular email and recommended email clients in the Android world.

Unfortunately, the above email clients either suffer from atrocious exchange push performance (TypeApp/Bluemail, Aqua Mail, Cloudmagic), questionable data mining/intermediary servers (Typeapp/Bluemail), clunky interface (K-9), inability to support both gmail and exchange push (Nine, Mail.Ru, Mailwise), or a combination of the above. MailWise comes closest for me. Gmail fetch only is supported (5 minute default) which I think I can live with, but no dark mode. I didn't try the actual Gmail app, but I'll give it a go and give an update (I know it doesn't have too many customization options and no dark mode).

When push comes to shove, however, I think we Priv users don't realize how good we have it. When I re-enabled Hub, whoa....made me realize how reliable and fantastic IMAP/Exchange push performance is. Add in a dark mode and perhaps take some cues from Typeapp/Bluemail and we're golden.

Any other experiences to share?

Cheers.
    Try Outlook (formerly Acompli). It sounds like it may fit your needs.
    07-25-16 02:11 PM
    i personally think android notifications beat the Hub hands down and i have never looked back. don't miss that hub at all....all cluttered with a ton of different social account. I much prefer the android notifications with a swipe down and separate apps. to each his own i guess.
    As someone who clung on because I preferred the unified "Messages" approach (yep, I'm that old - Hub for you whipper snappers) I have to agree.

Notifications on Android and iOS7+ make me wonder why I held out for so long.
    07-25-16 02:16 PM
    Yeah, for me it was about handling multiple email accounts within one app. I agree other messagings are better handled in their own apps and through the notification shade.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-25-16 02:21 PM
    After a week with the Priv I am learning to like some of the features, especially the ability to add views. So I can have a Social accounts view or an email only view. I find sync performance so far to be quite good.

FF22 likes this.
    07-25-16 03:51 PM
    Good conversation for sure. One of the key things we are trying to do with the Hub is not necessarily compete with the Android notification tray. As called out there are a number of cases where using the tray makes a ton of sense and is quicker - take the lock screen for instance. We like to think of it "as an extension" to the tray. Notifications are a critical part of getting people into an app, but people can't always act on them immediately. We aim to bring the persistence of notifications and management tools to help you act on them on YOUR schedule. Beyond notification integration we also aim to have a top tier email experience. There's heritage here for BlackBerry of course, and we want to continue that legacy into the future. Would love to know what interesting things of value you came across personally in some of those other apps. Things that wowed you, solved problems or just generally impressed you. Always looking to add more for our roadmap

For the pieces on clutter, agreed and hear you. There is a LOT packed into the Hub. This is why we were so passionate on having the ability to customize what shows up in your Hub view and the ability to create your own personal views. We aim to give you the tools you need to help handle the mass of communications and notifications you receive, while splitting it into chunks that are more manageable for you. Me personally, I pull my work email out of the Hub view and have a few dedicated views for handling it specifically since this has a TON of inflow for me daily.

PS. Hugely appreciate the kind words! It's always hugely encouraging for the team and I when reading comments like this from customers
    Last edited by c_bryant34; 07-25-16 at 11:12 PM.
    FF22, guido0136, gebco and 1 others like this.
    07-25-16 10:56 PM
    I like the hub, but if it could list all my emails on the lock screen instead of counting how many emails i got from each account, it would be much better.
    07-26-16 09:28 AM
    Thanks @c_bryant34 for the work you and your team are doing and for your contributions to this forum. I'm enjoying the Hub after admittedly only a week on the Priv. I like how the Hub is persistent whereas the notification drawer is temporary. I'm looking forward to seeing the improvements you'll bring. Can I make a suggestion? Can you make saving attachments easier? That disk is hard to tap and I have small fingers.

07-26-16 09:57 AM
    Can I make a suggestion? Can you make saving attachments easier? That disk is hard to tap and I have small fingers.
    Yeah we've got an open bug for that. I don't disagree.
    FF22 and gizmo21 like this.
    07-26-16 10:53 AM
    Yeah we've got an open bug for that. I don't disagree.
    Hi Cody. How about being able to attach multiple files from the hub at once? Right now I add a file, come back to the message, click the paperclip, and attach another file. I am using solid explorer to access my cloud drive. This was easily accomplished on BB10 hub.
    07-26-16 12:40 PM
    Hi Cody. How about being able to attach multiple files from the hub at once? Right now I add a file, come back to the message, click the paperclip, and attach another file. I am using solid explorer to access my cloud drive. This was easily accomplished on BB10 hub.
    When you're in the file picker UI press and hold on a file and that should enter multi select mode. Let me know if you're not seeing that...
    07-26-16 12:44 PM
    When you're in the file picker UI press and hold on a file and that should enter multi select mode. Let me know if you're not seeing that...
    This works for me within the same directory. But if you want to choose a file in one directory then from another, that is where you have to keep going back and forth to the email. Unless I'm missing something. I don't recall how it is on BB10.

07-26-16 01:00 PM
    Hmm... I'll check, but I don't think there's anything the Hub could do about that short of building its own file picker entirely.
    07-26-16 02:12 PM
    Hmm... I'll check, but I don't think there's anything the Hub could do about that short of building its own file picker entirely.
    I like that idea. And, if you do, make sure it holds/saves the Sort Order (I want newest first not the permanent default Oldest first).
    07-26-16 02:52 PM
    That works fine in file picker I believe. But does file picker have access to cloud drives? If not, then must use a file management app. That's when it breaks down.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Priv
    07-26-16 03:15 PM
    That works fine in file picker I believe. But does file picker have access to cloud drives? If not, then must use a file management app. That's when it breaks down.

From what I've seen of the APIs (haven't looked at them in quite some time), I believe that apps can plug in and be "document providers" but at that point are providing their own picker UI (since the stock file picker doesn't know about this). The stock file picker just defers and brings up the UI that your app provides. So in that case the "selecting different stuff from different pickers" use-case falls apart just because of how Google built the API.
    07-26-16 04:24 PM
    From what I've seen of the APIs (haven't looked at them in quite some time), I believe that apps can plug in and be "document providers" but at that point are providing their own picker UI (since the stock file picker doesn't know about this). The stock file picker just defers and brings up the UI that your app provides. So in that case the "selecting different stuff from different pickers" use-case falls apart just because of how Google built the API.
    Damn. But thanks for replying.

07-26-16 04:30 PM

Sorry
    07-26-16 04:39 PM
    ...There's heritage here for BlackBerry of course, and we want to continue that legacy into the future. Would love to know what interesting things of value you came across personally in some of those other apps. Things that wowed you, solved problems or just generally impressed you. Always looking to add more for our roadmap
    You asked , this is what I still use other mail app for - atm

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...sible-1076279/

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-priv-1055613/

and show full mail headers: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...l#post12470757
    07-26-16 04:59 PM
    For me BlackBerry Hub does more than just composing. It manages the notifications I just didn't bother to address.

I try to keep my notification clean so often only respond to urgent bits and rest I swipe for later. BlackBerry Hub then steps in for me and I can individually address the ones I can later. It also helps me manage and be on top of my emails.

At the end of the day, the plan is to keep most of them marked as read.

Posted via handy dandy PRIV
    07-26-16 05:07 PM
    Well you forgot to mentioned MailDroid which has been around since 2010 and the developers were all ex-crackberry users. However, to your point, we also don't do well with exchange push (license fees by Microsoft are an enormous hurdle here, but if there is enough interest we will do it).
    07-26-16 06:46 PM
    Well you forgot to mentioned MailDroid which has been around since 2010 and the developers were all ex-crackberry users. However, to your point, we also don't do well with exchange push (license fees by Microsoft are an enormous hurdle here, but if there is enough interest we will do it).
    Yeah, I can see that fees to enable Exchange activesync/push can be a disincentive for push email development. Makes me wonder how BlackBerry and Mailwise are able to do it so well?

07-26-16 06:55 PM
    Magic
    07-26-16 06:58 PM
    I use the hub exclusively. To me it is the best manager. I have 5 different accounts in it and it works incredibly well. In fact better than the hub on BlackBerry 10 in some instances. This includes more accurate and timely refreshing of the server and better play with the old MS Exchange 2003. Yes there are still many that use that server.

I really would like to see a dark theme as well as in line reply to emails, texts and social media and BBM. I loved that about BlackBerry 10 Hub.

I'd also like to see better and more fluid and efficient access to folders. I use hide filed messages to keep my inbox clutter free. Trying to access folders is a chore.

I also wish that when we are searching for a folder that the default action is to NOT open the keyboard as it takes up so much screen space. I'd rather tap the search bar to have the keyboard pop up. At least give me an option. Other than that not much else to add.

07-26-16 07:16 PM
29 12