Hi there,

I recently bought a SIM unlocked AT&T-branded BlackBerry Priv off Amazon's US site. It was only about $400 US so it seemed like a great deal compared to $900 CAD.

It worked fine for a bit but as of last week, it's been acting up with any SIM card I try inside. Sometimes, it'll recognize the SIM and say that there's a data connection (indicated by the "4G LTE" and lack of an exclamation mark") and show full signal strength, but when I open any browser, the browser says the phone is offline, and refuses to connect - and apps like Google Maps, Whatsapp, etc, also cannot receive anything.

Other times, it'll randomly refuse to recognize the SIM inside, saying "no SIM card". It'll then take at least 5 reboots in a row before that error goes away and I can get online... and then it either disconnects or stops reading the SIM an hour later (or less).

I have tried multiple Canadian sim cards, as well as my prepaid T-Mobile sim card (for when I travel stateside). All of them shared these issues, and all of them worked perfectly well in other phones.

Connecting through Wi-Fi isn't a problem, but obviously when I'm outside, I can't depend on that.

These issues conveniently started only after the 30 day return period was over so I can't get a refund through Amazon! I've been very frustrated with the Priv this past week and have had to use my old phone because the Priv has turned into an ipod touch half the time.

I tried submitting a warranty claim, using BlackBerry's web form for Amazon-purchased devices, but the IMEI isn't recognized as an Amazon device. I did some digging into this issue and realized that this Amazon purchase wasn't fulfilled by Amazon.com but rather by a third party, thus it isn't actually an Amazon device. I can't go to AT&T because I'm not an AT&T customer - I don't even live in the US. I'm now afraid that I might have just blown $400 US for nothing.

Does anyone know what I can do to get this phone repaired or replaced by BlackBerry? Is it possible to mail it from Canada (would prefer not to drive 2 hours to the border)? Thanks.
    07-24-16 11:38 PM
    You'll have to talk to the Amazon reseller that sold you the phone. Phone is NOT sold by Amazon, check your invoice.
    07-25-16 06:21 AM
    Sounds like you're out of luck. I would call At&t just to see your options.

Posted via the Priv for Android
    07-25-16 08:27 AM
    I'd try going the phone support route.

Blackberry Support 1-866-533-8067

Do those numbers work in Canada?
    07-25-16 09:40 AM
    Called the number and they told me to go through my Amazon seller (One Time Cell).

I managed to find the seller-communication page on Amazon and sent them a message... let's see if they respond. Looks like a road trip to the border may be necessary after all
    07-25-16 11:46 AM
    Good luck with the process. Does Amazon backup these types of sales?
    07-25-16 01:15 PM
    yes they do, but first you have to contact the seller if the seller does not respond within 2 business days, then you contact amazon, the take over the case and help you out, you might get your money back and everything...and send the cellphone back...
    FF22 likes this.
    07-25-16 07:37 PM
    yes they do, but first you have to contact the seller if the seller does not respond within 2 business days, then you contact amazon, the take over the case and help you out, you might get your money back and everything...and send the cellphone back...
    I think Amazon only steps in if it was fulfilled by them. If it was shipped by the seller, at best the protection is similar to eBay, if not worse.
    07-25-16 08:20 PM
    Wrong. Amazon will step in. Keep contacting amazon and get your money back. They're usually pretty good about it.

Posted via Commodore 64
    07-25-16 09:46 PM
    Yeah Amazon is great. I once got a refund and a new product shipped after I sent back the defective one.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-25-16 10:17 PM
    Just do it...contact the seller, no answer, contact amazon and the will solve your issue and get your money back
    07-29-16 08:34 AM
    I have posted this link in other threads regarding different complaints. I don't know if they will assist you but at the end of the day your brand new Priv should have 12 month warranty .

Try calling and writing letters to multiple locations. I have said this before in other threads, writing letters still works.

I have found with corporations these days they get bombarded with social media which are usually staffed with lower ranking employees. Letters sent via the post office somehow usually make their way to some level of management which can escalate and try and solve. I find managers use letters as a "coaching" or "discussion" piece in meetings. I don't have a reasoning other than what I have experienced.

http://ca.blackberry.com/company/about-us/contact.html

Good luck! The key if you don't get a response that's acceptable via phone call is to bombard BlackBerry with a letter to multiple locations. Usually this method gets the letter to the people who can assist.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-16 08:49 AM
    Thanks guys.

I managed to get the third party Amazon seller to ship me a new one after I shipped the old one back. Still AT&T branded =_=

This time the SIM ejector seems to be working fine.

However after two days, the PRIV developed the same problem - it showed the network connection with a full signal strength but refused to go online. I was tempted to go through the procedure again, but then I noticed the autoloader procedure for installing Marshmallow, so I did that and the problem seems to have gone away (for now at least). Fingers crossed...
    FF22 likes this.
    08-11-16 10:13 PM