Now what's pkb/ vkb has got to do with fingerprint scanner topic?
    All the other flagships don't have physical keyboards yet BlackBerry does.

All the other flagships do have fingerprint scanners yet BlackBerry doesn't.

Posted from my Priv!
    12-13-15 01:13 AM
    The consumer CAN choose.

Either an ordinary slab with a fingerprint scanner, or a BlackBerry Priv with slide out keyboard and no fingerprint scanner.
    Yeah our point is that it's better for sales if they include that scanner and allowing consumer to choose whether to use that feature

Not choose whether or not to buy a Priv

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-13-15 02:31 AM
    I can't be bothered to school you on the shortcomings of the vkb versus the pkb and now the trackpad...nor will I bother explaining how the vkb was originally, and still is today just a gimmick to facilitate having a full touch screen.
    I'll just derail this thread a smidge more by saying that I personally can "type" much faster using the Swype-like VKB of my WinPhone than I could ever have typed using the PKB of my various BB phones. Much faster... I just doodle on the keyboard... and words appear! It's truly astonishing, extremely productive and time-saving, and as far from a gimmick as is possible to be.

I've read enough similar posts here on CB from Z10, Z30 owners to confirm my own belief that any Swype-like VKB user will beat even the fastest PKB user, anytime, anywhere!
    12-13-15 03:47 AM
    I think this (Cops Can Use Fingerprint to Unlock Phone, But Not Passcode | Digital Trends) shall put this argument to rest.

"COPS CAN MAKE YOU UNLOCK YOUR PHONE WITH YOUR FINGER PRINT, BUT NOT YOUR PIN"

"Fingerprint sensors may seem like the most secure way to lock your phone and protect your data, but according to a judge in Virginia, the police can compel you to unlock your phone with your fingerprint. The judge added that the police cannot force you to enter your passcode, though.

Virginia Beach Circuit Court Judge Steven Frucci ruled that law enforcement officials can require a criminal defendant to unlock his phone with his fingerprint during an investigation. The judge reasoned that using a defendant�s fingerprint to unlock a phone is the same as requiring the defendant to give up a fingerprint or DNA sample. The police can�t ask the same defendant to enter a passcode to unlock the phone because that�s considered knowledge, not evidence. Knowledge is protected by the Fifth Amendment, but physical objects, like fingerprints, are not.

The ruling comes as NO SUPRISE to technology and legal experts who have long held that fingerprint sensors do not necessarily provide the same level of privacy as passcodes, especially in criminal investigations. Although the ruling was made in a lower level court and as such is hardly the last word on the matter, it does SET A LEGAL PRECEDENT t that may be used in future cases."

Now please dont be naive and respond "only criminals have to be concerned by this and good law abiding citizens have no reason to be concerned"; you can be sure that this will be taken advantage of. Whether or not BB had this in mind or not doesnt matter because the result is that your privacy is better guarded no matter the situation.
    Last edited by FobiddenRiceman; 12-13-15 at 04:03 AM.
    12-13-15 03:48 AM
    I'll just derail this thread a smidge more by saying that I personally can "type" much faster using the Swype-like VKB of my WinPhone than I could ever have typed using the PKB of my various BB phones. Much faster... I just doodle on the keyboard... and words appear! It's truly astonishing, extremely productive and time-saving, and as far from a gimmick as is possible to be.

I've read enough similar posts here on CB from Z10, Z30 owners to confirm my own belief that any Swype-like VKB user will beat even the fastest PKB user, anytime, anywhere!
    LOL...swipe with the vkb...right. Secondly,...by the time you have looked for the word to swipe I have finished typing it and moved onto the next word.
    12-13-15 03:51 AM

So am I. I'm quite speedily ambidextrous with Swype.

Last time I checked, the last several dozen recognized speed typing records were all set on vkbs. We are talking about standardized environment.

When it comes to speed, a physical keyboard is scientifically slower. Well, except on some lone solitary corners of CB...
    JeepBB and anon(9188202) like this.
    12-13-15 04:05 AM
    LOL...swipe with the vkb...right. Secondly,...by the time you have looked for the word to swipe I have finished typing it and moved onto the next word.
    Did you ever see that BB advert where a single thumb "flicks" out a message in a couple of seconds?

Have you ever used Swype? I have to doubt it, as this "looking for a word to swipe" nonsense... is just that. I put my finger on the first letter of the word I want, do a little doodle that comes close to, but rarely needs to be "on" the key, and move (often missing letters in my doodle) until the word I had in mind appears with very high accuracy. I then swype the next word...

I'm actually finding that I now fully respond to emails with my Lumia when I'm on the road because the typing is so fluid and fast that there's little point in just limiting myself to the sort of "holding reply" I used to make with my BlackBerry's until I could get back to my desk to construct a proper reply.

So no. The VKB is not a gimmick, and is much faster.

I'd google all the videos showing the awesomely impressive speed-typing records held by VKBs. I won't though, because that would both derail the thread further, and would be pointless in convincing you.
    12-13-15 04:11 AM
    • You can touch type on the pkb.
    • Touch typing is superior to swiping.
    • Swiping on the pkb is better than swiping on the vkb.
    12-13-15 04:31 AM
    Lame excuse from BlackBerry for not adding fingerprint readers on the lame Priv.
    12-13-15 04:51 AM
    Now please dont be naive and respond "only criminals have to be concerned by this and good law abiding citizens have no reason to be concerned"; you can be sure that this will be taken advantage of. Whether or not BB had this in mind or not doesnt matter because the result is that your privacy is better guarded no matter the situation.

I shall repeat this again since no one have seen it or chose not to see it, but no, not putting in a finger print sensor is not "increasing" the security. BB did not choose not including the FPS because it "decreases" your security, because BB still has the basic swipe to unlock with no security option. Seeing how BB still has the option for the lowest security option, which is none at all, I am sure they can allow you to have the OPTION for another slightly higher security option that might not be the strongest, but still better off than swipe to unlock. It is an OPTION, if you CHOOSE to use the fingerprint sensor, you have to take note of the possibility of that a cop might one day come force you to unlock your phone, but it will be a CHOICE by you, not one ENFORCED on you.

I do however feel like I am talking to a bunch of wall like object and it seems the general consensus on reddit that people here are delusional are pretty much true. So it is alight if you can't seem to understand what is a choice, feel free to carry on your rambling on increased security
    12-13-15 07:04 AM
    • You can touch type on the pkb.
    • Touch typing is superior to swiping.
    • Swiping on the pkb is better than swiping on the vkb.
    All fact based and not opinion. Well done.
    12-13-15 07:10 AM
    So you prefer less security so that your significant other can't cheat or do some thing stupid without you knowing? The issue is about security not about morals.
    You know that if they came out with this feature you (or anyone else) wouldn't have to use it. Why not have it be a premium option that people can pay more to have? Or implement it for all. But either way users can still use a passkey or other locking mechanism if they don't want to use the biometrics.

Lastly, many people run their Privs completely unlocked with no security of any kind. So whether it is no lock, passkey, picture password, or biometrics.... It does not make any device more or less secure than what the user decides for security as best fitting their needs.

12-13-15 07:26 AM
    Yeah our point is that it's better for sales if they include that scanner and allowing consumer to choose whether to use that feature

Not choose whether or not to buy a Priv

But MY point is that you would have to give up thickness, weight, battery life, or dual-edge for it. And/or pay more. Everything is a trade-off. You can't have it all. BlackBerry made its decision. What would you give up to accommodate, and how much more would you pay for the feature?

For argument sake, if I told you the fingerprint scanner could only fit on the back of the device, make the device a bit thicker, with a slightly smaller battery, and cost $30 more, would that be OK?
    12-13-15 07:41 AM

As much as I love my Passport, I would have to agree that I typed just a little bit faster on my Z30. However, having read this thread, I guess that I am lucky that neither device has a fingerprint scanner so no one has ever felt the need to cut off one of my digits to break into my device and I still have all of my fingers to type with. I am not certain, but I think that my typing speed on either VKB or PKB would suffer considerably with a few less fingers.
    JeepBB and kirson like this.
    12-13-15 07:42 AM
    You know that if they came out with this feature you (or anyone else) wouldn't have to use it. Why not have it be a premium option that people can pay more to have? Or implement it for all. But either way users can still use a passkey or other locking mechanism if they don't want to use the biometrics.

Lastly, many people run their Privs completely unlocked with no security of any kind. So whether it is no lock, passkey, picture password, or biometrics.... It does not make any device more or less secure than what the user decides for security as best fitting their needs.

Who's to say it's "less security"? The fingerprint scanner is to prevent unauthorized access to your phone, right? My Priv has it's own security measures to prevent unauthorized access. So now what? Time to debate which one can be circumvented easier than the other? Not for me.

Although my Priv does not have a fingerprint scanner, you can't access it and you never will. But if having a fingerprint scanner is that important to you, simply get a different phone. Easy.

EDIT: By the way, when you wrote "Lastly, many people run their Privs completely unlocked with no security of any kind.". What are you talking about? You just pulled that out of your ___, didn't you? I doubt you conducted a survey to see how many people with Privs keep it unlocked, nor did you read it anywhere. You just made it up... because in your head... you wanted it to be true to fit your narrative. Just invented it out of thin air. Nice.
    12-13-15 07:48 AM
    As much as I love my Passport, I would have to agree that I typed just a little bit faster on my Z30. However, having read this thread, I guess that I am lucky that neither device has a fingerprint scanner so no one has ever felt the need to cut off one of my digits to break into my device and I still have all of my fingers to type with. I am not certain, but I think that my typing speed on either VKB or PKB would suffer considerably with a few less fingers.
    Yeah, I guess I'm lucky that my Lumia doesn't have a fingerprint scanner to act as temptation to bad guys either.

I can sleep safe in the knowledge that the risk of losing a couple of my fingers in the night - an event that would cause me to become an even more terrible guitarist than I am currently - is slight!

Pheww!
    12-13-15 08:01 AM
    Who's to say it's "less security"? The fingerprint scanner is to prevent unauthorized access to your phone, right? My Priv has it's own security measures to prevent unauthorized access. So now what? Time to debate which one can be circumvented easier than the other? Not for me.

Although my Priv does not have a fingerprint scanner, you can't access it and you never will. But if having a fingerprint scanner is that important to you, simply get a different phone. Easy.

EDIT: By the way, when you wrote "Lastly, many people run their Privs completely unlocked with no security of any kind.". What are you talking about? You just pulled that out of your ___, didn't you? I doubt you conducted a survey to see how many people with Privs keep it unlocked, nor did you read it anywhere. You just made it up... because in your head... you wanted it to be true to fit your narrative. Just invented it out of thin air. Nice.
    I'm not debating which one is more or less security, simply suggesting that BlackBerry add it as a feature and consumers can choose which security level is right for them.

I love my Priv and would happily pay more to have a fingerprint scanner. I do not wish to have another phone. I will keep using my Priv and if they come out with biometrics for BlackBerry, great, if not, I will continue to use BlackBerry. It would simply make my life in terms of how I use my phone more convenient.

The word "many" suggests there are more than a few people doing it. We don't need stats to assume that people are using their devices in different ways.

Not sure why you are getting so hostile. All I am suggesting is that to me it isn't about whether biometrics are more or less secure since people can choose the level of security for themselves, but there there is some demand out there (including myself) and I would love to see that option included in the future.

Dunt Dunt Dunt and kirson like this.
    12-13-15 08:04 AM

For all those people complaining about a lack of fingerprint scanner...-63855.jpg
    cmykink, JeepBB and kirson like this.
    12-13-15 08:08 AM

On this note, this thread is not going anywhere. O+2 has no nfc, even though priced accordingly, it is what it is. High end, no nfc, while other 'flagship' has nfc, fingerprint or not, move on folks...
    12-13-15 08:08 AM
194 ... 678