True. However, understand that this is an android phone first with BlackBerry tweaks so for the most part, you will learn stuff about using the phone if you learn how to use Android and not expect it to be BlackBerry 10. That's why it was marketed as the BlackBerry Productivity Suite added to Android.

I think that's where most people go wrong and miss out on a lot of the built in android functionality.

It's the same like when I moved from bbos to BlackBerry 10. It's a new learning curve.

Posted via the BlackBerry Priv�
    Still want BlackBerry to either develop or select and bundle a secure file manager. I have reviewed all of the "top ten" lists I can find and can't find any that I would trust with my clients' data. I'd love for someone with an Enterprise security background to explain how this issue is handled in their shop.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    07-21-16 09:57 PM
    Still want BlackBerry to either develop or select and bundle a secure file manager. I have reviewed all of the "top ten" lists I can find and can't find any that I would trust with my clients' data. I'd love for someone with an Enterprise security background to explain how this issue is handled in their shop.

Posted via CB10
    Apparently, there is a BB File Manager in the MM release. If I recall, you find it under the Settings/Storage option or somewhere not obvious. I don't yet have MM so very little about it.

And, I think you inquiry might merit a separate thread "How do you find a File Manager to handle Secure Files/Data?" or something similar.
    07-21-16 10:32 PM
    Respectfully, because the posters here are thoughtful people, I really don't understand these criticisms. You can access account by swiping right on the Android Hub the same as the BB10 one. That aside, the Hub is very serviceable. Better than anything on android previously.

BlackBerry 10 is DYING. Really, I am disappointed at that fact but I find the Priv to be the best Android phone I've ever used, and I've used a few including full price Samsung Notes (several generations). BlackBerry has definitely improved the experience, to the point that I retired my Passport.

The good news is that the Priv can be gotten for 299 and a deluxe silver Passport for just a little more.

I don't think BlackBerry is getting its due for the physical and software improvements to the Android experience.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android (Priv)
    FF22 likes this.
    07-21-16 11:51 PM
    Dying is relative to the user. I have a Priv and a PP SE and will use the passport for work email and calls until they shut it off or disable it

I can easily swap accounts and get all android apps I need (I stress the word need as in most cases would be better for folks to say "feel I need") through my Priv.

There's nothing bb10 and my SE currently lack for what I am doing present and near future. This could change if they discontinue exchange active sync or something

Posted via CB10
    07-22-16 01:42 AM
    I wish I was in your situation because I would have happily used my Passport for years to come. My 9900 still works fine, as do several prior generations that I still have.

The difference is that with the Passport I cannot use at least one of the few apps that I have to have for work. A billing app. Also, a commercial instant messenger. I found a very old version of the latter that would work but it is a pain to find it again if anything happens and several newer versions won't work at all because of the dated runtime. I doubt the runtime situation is going to get better more than one or two times to come.

I had to abandon my OS7 devices because of multi factor authentication issues.

And don't get me started about the several PlayBooks I bought for my office. I really misjudged that one.

I applaud your purchases and agree that bb10 is a great OS for an increasingly small number of people (smaller yet than the smallish number, myself included, who helped keep BlackBerry alive by buying bb10 devices).

BlackBerry has all but said that it is leaving bb10 for Android, killed the Classic, and I think it is pure fantasy that BlackBerry will produce new bb10 phones (as suggested elsewhere).

I don't just buy one device for myself. I am a technology tyrant in my office so we all get the same thing, maybe after I have vetted anything new like the Priv. My employees have seen bb10 devices as a punishment since they arrived on the scene, at least relative to the iphones and android devices they prefer.

So while reasonable minds can certainly differ and I am not always right, I still persist in my conclusion. With that in mind, I think you have the coolest retro phones that can be bought. I've had my Passport since just after they came out, and am a professional who deals with the public at various locations every day, and to this day I have not seen a single Passport in anyone else's hands unless I put it there, nor have I seen any other BlackBerry (including the Priv) in any hands other than my own, unless I put it there. And I don't live on an island, I live in Texas. So that's a pretty sad state of affairs.

In my middle age it has gone from being a sign of success to cool to have a BlackBerry, to counterculture, to a different culture altogether. Sad.

Last edited by CharlieV; 07-22-16 at 09:43 AM.
    07-22-16 02:44 AM
    Listen, if you don't like it, that's your option.

I only picked out this statement since it is not true. I was just in Europe for three weeks. Since Verizon's generous "global" plan would have meant mortgaging the house, I really did not use data or my cell. While out hiking in rather remote areas, I used the gps with the Nogago Tracks app to log my hikes. Data, cell and generally wifi were all off. I was in Airplane mode. The gps tracked me fine with those functions OFF.

Attached are screen captures of two hikes. At the upper right you can see airplane mode was on. The gaps in one of them was due to the fact that the hike went through two tunnels, one a kilometer long and the other about half that. The third image is the imported track into Garmin software.

Again, just trying to make sure folks know that the gps works in airplane mode.

Attachment 404460
    Attachment 404461
    Attachment 404462
    Genuinely interested in this. Because mine most certainly does not. Even after the MM update.

The moment I go into airplane mode, poof, there goes the GPS as well.

You happen to know if this is app dependent is something to do with Android?

As for the rant. Yeah sorry. I was being a negative nacy in the most 'Internet' of ways. I did say sorry. But, I figured buddy should know before he drops a G-note on a phone thinking it might be something that it's not.

The Priv is a phone that isn't anything special from any other android really.

EXCEPT THE KEYBOARD, and the form factor. Even though I had to rip open my $900 top-tier phone last night to stuff folded paper inside of it to stop it from creaking like an 80-year-old character home... the keyboard remains exceptional. Better than any other on the market (but probably not the best BlackBerry has done).

Having to stuff my phone with paper like a tweenage girl trying to impress the masses probably didn't help me mood in posting yesterday.

If it weren't for the keyboard and the form factor, I would have stayed with BB10 until they went out of business and then went for the flagship android-du-jour.

Honestly, I think the Z10 is probably the best option for quick messaging ability and glancing whatever media/social media that gets you off. Great battery, too.

Anyways.. I probably upset some diehards in here. And believe you me, my friends love to joke about me probably having a BlackBerry logo tattooed somewhere on my body. I've been more loyal to this brand than any other for any reason. I'm a huge fan of the Arvo Aero, too. You should Google it. But that's why I got all in a bustle.

PS: if you Priv's backdoor creaks and squeaks like it's been burgled.. Fold a piece of paper twice over on itself to measure about 4x4cm (so four sheets thickness). Normal printer paper did the trick for me. If I had been thinking ahead, I would have cut some vent holes like one of those cool snow flakes to allow the phone to cool more efficiently.

This did work great. There's in ONE good vid on YouTube to very quickly give you an idea on how to Bob Vila the backdoor off. Be careful. You might just snap it in half though.

PPS: Priv does have a little more processing punch than your average BlackBerry, but android does a pretty good job of sapping that up before it gets your finger tips. Still an improvement though.

Make'ya choice. The coolaid still tastes pretty good if you drink it quickly.
    07-22-16 06:49 AM
    You're wrong. Just swipe from the left of your screen when you're in the hub and your accounts pane will slide across.

You need to know how to use it before u bash it mate.

Neat.

Thank you. That actually helps a little.

Any neat trick to get back to the accounts screen or main Hub screen from BBM, "messenger" , whatsapp, etc? Cause that would be super-neat.
    07-22-16 06:52 AM
    Respectfully, because the posters here are thoughtful people, I really don't understand these criticisms. You can access account by swiping right on the Android Hub the same as the BB10 one. That aside, the Hub is very serviceable. Better than anything on android previously.

BlackBerry 10 is DYING. Really, I am disappointed at that fact but I find the Priv to be the best Android phone I've ever used, and I've used a few including full price Samsung Notes (several generations). BlackBerry has definitely improved the experience, to the point that I retired my Passport.

The good news is that the Priv can be gotten for 299 and a deluxe silver Passport for just a little more.

I don't think BlackBerry is getting its due for the physical and software improvements to the Android experience.

As the OP, I am not interested in criticism. I want BlackBerry to succeed with Android. What I'm trying to assess is whether the BlackBerry Android experience has improved to the point where it could replace my BB10 phone soon.

I bought a Priv at launch and returned it several days later because it didn't offer any advantages over my z10 for my work. (I don't need Android apps.). In fact, it slowed me down considerably.

I attributed some of the problems to Android's Lollipop limitations and wanted to know what improvements had come with Marshmallow.

For me, a detailed analysis of the differences in the user experience between BB10 and Android for message handling does not imply criticism of either OS.

Most if us know that BB10's days are likely numbered, but that doesn't mean the time is yet here to leave BB10 for Android. For me, message handling and Web browsing are still the only critical functions of my mobile device. Until I'm sure the Android experience is as efficient as BB10 for my use case, I will remain inclined to postpone the move to Android.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-16 08:07 AM
    As the OP, I am not interested in criticism. I want BlackBerry to succeed with Android. What I'm trying to assess is whether the BlackBerry Android experience has improved to the point where it could replace my BB10 phone soon.

I bought a Priv at launch and returned it several days later because it didn't offer any advantages over my z10 for my work. (I don't need Android apps.). In fact, it slowed me down considerably.

I attributed some of the problems to Android's Lollipop limitations and wanted to know what improvements had come with Marshmallow.

For me, a detailed analysis of the differences in the user experience between BB10 and Android for message handling does not imply criticism of either OS.

Most if us know that BB10's days are likely numbered, but that doesn't mean the time is yet here to leave BB10 for Android. For me, message handling and Web browsing are still the only critical functions of my mobile device. Until I'm sure the Android experience is as efficient as BB10 for my use case, I will remain inclined to postpone the move to Android.

Posted via CB10
    I think it's more a matter of deciding to try something new and sticking to it.

If you are waiting for some, arbitrary, optimal threshold of BB10'ness to be achieved, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

It is a different experience, that will require different muscle memory, workflow, and techniques.

All I can say for myself is that I made the transition, and, ironically enough, get frustrated when I pick up my BB10 devices because everything seems to be out of place. Overall, my efficiency has increased, and I can do a lot more on my device than I ever could before.
    07-22-16 08:16 AM
    Genuinely interested in this. Because mine most certainly does not. Even after the MM update.

The moment I go into airplane mode, poof, there goes the GPS as well.

You happen to know if this is app dependent is something to do with Android?

As for the rant. Yeah sorry. I was being a negative nacy in the most 'Internet' of ways. I did say sorry. But, I figured buddy should know before he drops a G-note on a phone thinking it might be something that it's not.

The Priv is a phone that isn't anything special from any other android really.

EXCEPT THE KEYBOARD, and the form factor. Even though I had to rip open my $900 top-tier phone last night to stuff folded paper inside of it to stop it from creaking like an 80-year-old character home... the keyboard remains exceptional. Better than any other on the market (but probably not the best BlackBerry has done).

Having to stuff my phone with paper like a tweenage girl trying to impress the masses probably didn't help me mood in posting yesterday.

If it weren't for the keyboard and the form factor, I would have stayed with BB10 until they went out of business and then went for the flagship android-du-jour.

Honestly, I think the Z10 is probably the best option for quick messaging ability and glancing whatever media/social media that gets you off. Great battery, too.

Anyways.. I probably upset some diehards in here. And believe you me, my friends love to joke about me probably having a BlackBerry logo tattooed somewhere on my body. I've been more loyal to this brand than any other for any reason. I'm a huge fan of the Arvo Aero, too. You should Google it. But that's why I got all in a bustle.

PS: if you Priv's backdoor creaks and squeaks like it's been burgled.. Fold a piece of paper twice over on itself to measure about 4x4cm (so four sheets thickness). Normal printer paper did the trick for me. If I had been thinking ahead, I would have cut some vent holes like one of those cool snow flakes to allow the phone to cool more efficiently.

This did work great. There's in ONE good vid on YouTube to very quickly give you an idea on how to Bob Vila the backdoor off. Be careful. You might just snap it in half though.

PPS: Priv does have a little more processing punch than your average BlackBerry, but android does a pretty good job of sapping that up before it gets your finger tips. Still an improvement though.

Make'ya choice. The coolaid still tastes pretty good if you drink it quickly.
    I have been using Nogago Tracks even on my BB10 Z10 and Z30. I don't think it needs anything special. But I will note that I'm still on Lollipop (Verizon, you know) so who knows what's happening if you are in MM. Blackberry Virtual Expert has a gps test. Also folks like GPS Status to test the gps.
    07-22-16 09:07 AM
    I think it's more a matter of deciding to try something new and sticking to it.

If you are waiting for some, arbitrary, optimal threshold of BB10'ness to be achieved, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

It is a different experience, that will require different muscle memory, workflow, and techniques.

All I can say for myself is that I made the transition, and, ironically enough, get frustrated when I pick up my BB10 devices because everything seems to be out of place. Overall, my efficiency has increased, and I can do a lot more on my device than I ever could before.
    I'm curious what you mean by doing "a lot more" on your device. Are you speaking about all of the additional apps and features available on the Android platform or about additional features in the Hub, or about being faster at message handling in the Hub?

My reason for this post us that the ONLY reason for me to switch to Android at this time would be if I was assured of equal or superior message handling, using the Hub. That's the only thing I'm trying to assess in this thread. I am already convinced that Android is a much superior platform for 3rd party apps.

For example, I like the ability in the Android Hub to snooze a message until a specified network is available. That's a feature unavailable in BB10 that would allow me, for example, to postpone handing of personal emails until I return home at night.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by bb10adopter111; 07-22-16 at 09:46 AM.
    07-22-16 09:24 AM
    Hub is a total disaster on the Priv. I don't see any improvement with the Marshmallow update. If BlackBerry could get the Hub figured out on Android (shouldn't be an app!!!!!!!) - the phone would be great.
    Ive had the Priv since April and I still grab my Passport most days during work since it's the more efficient communication tool.
    chiefx13 likes this.
    07-22-16 09:26 AM
    Neat.

Thank you. That actually helps a little.

Any neat trick to get back to the accounts screen or main Hub screen from BBM, "messenger" , whatsapp, etc? Cause that would be super-neat.
    Just use the swipe shortcut from anywhere and you're back in the hub.. Or whatever app or action u set them too. I use the "up and right" swipe sorta like bb10.

07-22-16 09:51 AM
    I'm curious what you mean by doing "a lot more" on your device. Are you speaking about all of the additional apps and features available on the Android platform or about additional features in the Hub, or about being faster at message handling in the Hub?

My reason for this post us that the ONLY reason for me to switch to Android at this time would be if I was assured of equal or superior message handling, using the Hub. That's the only thing I'm trying to assess in this thread. I am already convinced that Android is a much superior platform for 3rd party apps.

For example, I like the ability in the Android Hub to snooze a message until a specified network is available. That's a feature unavailable in BB10 that would allow me, for example, to postpone handing of personal emails until I return home at night.

Posted via CB10
    File management, and moving/sharing data is important for me. Deeper integration and the more robust functionality of Android file managers opens up many capabilities I didn't have access to prior - like access to webdav, ftp, and LAN connections.

I have also become a cloud sync guy as I constantly move between devices (Priv, desktops, laptops) and need seamless access. Android is built around that - from files to browser bookmarks.

I am not a power app user, but I need some - like MS Office and a number of banking apps to do mobile deposits. These were not available on BB10.

As to pitting message handling against each other, they each have advantages. I respond to dozens of emails a day, and have no issues flying around the HUB. There is a decent level of customization available.
    07-22-16 09:58 AM
    Hub is a total disaster on the Priv. I don't see any improvement with the Marshmallow update. If BlackBerry could get the Hub figured out on Android (shouldn't be an app!!!!!!!) - the phone would be great.
    Ive had the Priv since April and I still grab my Passport most days during work since it's the more efficient communication tool.
    As I've said before, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I do have to ask what aspects of the "hub is a total disaster"? I don't find it that much different. Of course, it is different but I find it pretty effective. I can reply to emails. I can filter by account. I don't do a lot of texting. But bbm is not that much different. I'd like attachment handling to be easier on both sending and receiving/downloading.
    07-22-16 12:29 PM
    File management, and moving/sharing data is important for me. Deeper integration and the more robust functionality of Android file managers opens up many capabilities I didn't have access to prior - like access to webdav, ftp, and LAN connections.

I have also become a cloud sync guy as I constantly move between devices (Priv, desktops, laptops) and need seamless access. Android is built around that - from files to browser bookmarks.

I am not a power app user, but I need some - like MS Office and a number of banking apps to do mobile deposits. These were not available on BB10.

As to pitting message handling against each other, they each have advantages. I respond to dozens of emails a day, and have no issues flying around the HUB. There is a decent level of customization available.
    Thanks for the details. If I had your priorities, I wouldn't hesitate to get the Priv. For my needs I am very happy with BB10 file management using Box, Dropbox and One Drive. My biggest issue is that I cannot use One Drive for Business because it is SharePoint-based. That may become a critical issue soon.

I go through several hundred work-related emails a day, so I spend 90%+ of my time in the Hub. Many days, that, the stock browser (for reading online periodicals), and the file manager are the only things I open. Consequently, I am not willing to make any compromises on message handling ease and efficiency for the sake of additional functionality.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-16 02:59 PM
    at least we have pinch now.
    07-22-16 03:09 PM
    I don't have pinch. Is there pinch?

07-22-16 05:15 PM
    I just want to report back that I am very, very excited by BlackBerry's release of its Android app suite in the Google Store for all MM devices. I am now 100% persuaded that they are serious about bringing the best possible user experience to Android.

This is exactly what I had been hoping for when I started this thread.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    08-03-16 12:57 PM
    Android BlackBerry can't compete with bb10.
    But tbh, the hub they did is not bad.
    Sadly the BlackBerry android phones are not good enough

Posted via CB10
    08-03-16 02:42 PM
    Sadly BlackBerry 10 phones were lacking and their android phones are leaps and bounds better for everything.

Good job BlackBerry.

RIP BlackBerry 10.

08-04-16 02:22 AM
    I'm looking at possibly jumping from the Z30 to one of the new BlackBerry phones.

This thread is a few months old so I was wondering if anyone knows how the Android hub ranks to the bb10 hub. Are there any features other then hub that has been taken from bb10 and integrated into Android .

I'm reluctant to change because I still use blend and believe it or not bridge with PlayBook. PlayBook is used to remote desktop into my office programing computer.

I use link to access my mapped computer files on my phone remotely. Is this available?

Posted via CB10
    02-23-17 08:26 PM
    I'm looking at possibly jumping from the Z30 to one of the new BlackBerry phones.

This thread is a few months old so I was wondering if anyone knows how the Android hub ranks to the bb10 hub. Are there any features other then hub that has been taken from bb10 and integrated into Android .

I'm reluctant to change because I still use blend and believe it or not bridge with PlayBook. PlayBook is used to remote desktop into my office programing computer.

I use link to access my mapped computer files on my phone remotely. Is this available?

Posted via CB10
    I know this is odd but I still have my Z30 feeding blend for my Desktop and laptop computers but use the Priv as my primary phone. It serves the purpose.

NO Blend is not available for Android although folks have made suggestions about 3rd party software but none of it compares!!!! Bridge is another feature GONE but not forgotten.

I find the Hub is pretty close on the Priv. There are some who still miss features but in the main it is quite good.

Some of your questions might be less lost if you created a new thread for some of them.

Good luck coming to a decision.
    03-01-17 09:19 AM
73 123