Hi everyone. I've just purchased a priv. In light of the announcement. Should I keep it. From the point of view of support and future updates etc. Thank-you

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-30-16 09:03 AM
    Keep it man. I posted this comment in another forum. You are good to go for years with Blackberry.

Blackberry is going to concentrate on software now. They are committed to devices well into 2018.

Think of it, others build the hardware, and Blackberry makes the software. And what makes any device amazing, is it the hardware or software? Do people love the iPhone hardware? No it is iOS that they love. Is it The Passport that we love or is it the amazingly well written software that runs the Passport that we love?

Blackberry has done something nobody has done and spread the hardware costs to the manufacturer. So this immature business attitude some of you have is just silly. Blackberry has and always has been software.

I want a world secured with Blackberry software than a world without it. And think about it, if TCL were willing to build the hardware, what would stop Blackberry now from building a version of Blackberry 10 that can run on that hardware since now they allocate the money they would have spent on hardware on further Blackberry 10 development.

Just think about that for a bit. That is what I think the executive team means by saying they have "future expectations of Blackberry 10". So let's just trust Chen and his fantastic team. Remember, Heins and Basile are the two incompetents that put Blackberry in this mess and Chen has had to work with what he has, and what he has done is 'COURAGE' and determination at its finest.

09-30-16 09:16 AM
    Hi everyone. I've just purchased a priv. In light of the announcement. Should I keep it. From the point of view of support and future updates etc. Thank-you

If you can return it without penalties... yeah I would.

We really have no idea if BlackBerry will keep developing their own version of Android..... I would expect that Nougat is already in the works, but after that.... I doubt sales of the DTEK line will justify it, and the licensing model doesn't require the licensing of BlackBerry's "security" features. And Chen's not one to keep employees or departments around that he can get rid of....

From my STORM (no updates after about 13 months), PlayBook (no as promised BB10) and now Z10 (it's over, other than a couple of security patches). I just would not count on seeing Android updates other than the rubber stamped monthly security stuff... first one of those that screws up something with their "special sauce" and they might not continue them.

Go with a KNOWN mobile solution.
    andy957 likes this.
    09-30-16 09:30 AM
    No, it's going to melt in your hand and explode in your face. It's extremely dangerous and BlackBerry won't do anything about it anymore, now that they're out. So you should give it to me, I'll give you about $3.50 for it.
    G_Unit MVP and tbonecopper like this.
    09-30-16 09:51 AM
    If you can return it without penalties... yeah I would.

We really have no idea if BlackBerry will keep developing their own version of Android..... I would expect that Nougat is already in the works, but after that.... I doubt sales of the DTEK line will justify it, and the licensing model doesn't require the licensing of BlackBerry's "security" features. And Chen's not one to keep employees or departments around that he can get rid of....

From my STORM (no updates after about 13 months), PlayBook (no as promised BB10) and now Z10 (it's over, other than a couple of security patches). I just would not count on seeing Android updates other than the rubber stamped monthly security stuff... first one of those that screws up something with their "special sauce" and they might not continue them.

Go with a KNOWN mobile solution.
    So the fact that they are coming out with 3 new devices in the next 6-8 months is not committed? Odd.

Wise Owl likes this.
    09-30-16 09:52 AM
    No, it's going to melt in your hand and explode in your face. It's extremely dangerous and BlackBerry won't do anything about it anymore, now that they're out. So you should give it to me, I'll give you about $3.50 for it.
    Love this comment. At least some people have the good sense to read what Blackberry is doing and not sensationalize and not read a blasted thing. Blackberry is here to stay in devices and updates will be forthcoming. Not sure how many times John Chen has to say it.

sonicpix and newcollector like this.
    09-30-16 09:54 AM
    Love this comment. At least some people have the good sense to read what Blackberry is doing and not sensationalize and not read a blasted thing. Blackberry is here to stay in devices and updates will be forthcoming. Not sure how many times John Chen has to say it.

Yeah, the histeria of some people is unbelievable... all of a sudden devices are unusable...
    newcollector likes this.
    09-30-16 09:59 AM
    So the fact that they are coming out with 3 new devices in the next 6-8 months is not committed? Odd.

Sorry.. last I hear the DTEK60 was being release as it is already in production. And Chen said he didn't know if they would release the Mercury... I have not heard of a 3rd phone (was three back before the DTEK50 was launched). What is it suppose to be?

Did you not listen to the Earning Call and what Chen said about getting all the debit associated with ordering, distributing and selling hardware off the books? I'm not sure how he could even do that it the time frame he gave..... And with this announcement, I doubt he is going to sell even 400K units this next quarter (at least not at a profit).
    09-30-16 10:03 AM
    Sorry.. last I hear the DTEK60 was being release as it is already in production. And Chen said he didn't know if they would release the Mercury... I have not heard of a 3rd phone (was three back before the DTEK50 was launched). What is it suppose to be?

Did you not listen to the Earning Call and what Chen said about getting all the debit associated with ordering, distributing and selling hardware off the books? I'm not sure how he could even do that it the time frame he gave..... And with this announcement, I doubt he is going to sell even 400K units this next quarter (at least not at a profit).
    And that is your reason to trow a brand new Priv to the trash? Really dude?
    09-30-16 10:11 AM

MPP Michael Harris name-drops the unreleased DTEK60 in Ontario Legislature speech | CrackBerry.com

I'll just leave this here. I'm fairly sure Bla1ze has a much better grasp of the situation that any of us.
    09-30-16 10:11 AM

More so the bigger point is, "who effin cares."

I've personally used a "dead" Pre 3 for 3 straight years, and I bought it AFTER the webOS announcements, as part of HP liquidating the stock to their employees. I still use it as my Skype desk phone, and this it's still surviving several rounds of Skype cutting out old clients. Besides, how bad can it get, the Priv still running the current Android. I have a TouchPad with Android 4.4 and it still runs fine. It will take a while before Marshmallow go truly out of support.

If you have problems deciding what to do with your own money and need someone to tell you what to do, you have bigger fish to fry than an "out of support" phone that is not KNOWN.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    09-30-16 10:14 AM
    Yeah, the histeria of some people is unbelievable... all of a sudden devices are unusable...
    Usable... yes.

You guys really need to read the transcript of the earning call BlackBerry's (BBRY) CEO John Chen on Q2 2017 Results - Earnings Call Transcript | Seeking Alpha

What Chen says there is official business... what he or someone else says afterwards is fluff. Kinda like last years... "we are committed to BB10", which many here stretched to future updates and future hardware.
    09-30-16 10:22 AM
    Usable... yes.

You guys really need to read the transcript of the earning call BlackBerry's (BBRY) CEO John Chen on Q2 2017 Results - Earnings Call Transcript | Seeking Alpha

What Chen says there is official business... what he or someone else says afterwards is fluff. Kinda like last years... "we are committed to BB10", which many here stretched to future updates and future hardware.
    What this has to do with the OP question about the Priv????

You really need to read what the guy is asking...
    09-30-16 10:27 AM
    And that is your reason to trow a brand new Priv to the trash? Really dude?
    I said return it if he could without penalties.... said nothing about it should be thrown in the trash or was worthless.

The phone will work just fine, even if it stops getting updates. But updates were one of the OP concerns, and I just don't think you can count on BlackBerry continuing work on Android....
    09-30-16 10:28 AM
    Well time will tell. But I still use my PlayBook every single day for work as it is still the ONLY tablet certified secured for my line of work. It hasn't received updates in years and still a phenomenal device.

But as correctly stated, if a device stops becoming useful or a burden then it is time to replace it. But to get rid of something because of your suspicions is just wasting money. My Priv and Passport and PlayBook have and will continue to serve me well.

Your alternatives are exploding phones or devices that have planned obsolescence built in with every single update... cough... cough... apple.. Cough . While our Blackberry devices get faster, better and more efficient. Enjoy Android or iPhone life. It's sunnier on this side. Hahahaha

G_Unit MVP likes this.
    09-30-16 10:37 AM
    Gasp!! Still working. And it even charges on the Priv 's nest charger. Now that is awesome Blackberry thinking. But go to apple and have adapters, chargers and everything else. Meanwhile my iPad mini is useless and slow and I sold it while my 4G PlayBook is still rocket fast.

Attached Thumbnails advice, what should I do-44133.jpg  
    G_Unit MVP likes this.
    09-30-16 10:41 AM
    Gasp!! Still working. And it even charges on the Priv 's nest charger. Now that is awesome Blackberry thinking. But go to apple and have adapters, chargers and everything else. Meanwhile my iPad mini is useless and slow and I sold it while my 4G PlayBook is still rocket fast.

I have to admit that I do not use my Playbook often but it is still the device that I use for recipes while cooking in the kitchen. Nice size, easy to swipe and scroll and easy to load with files. And its Otterbox makes it impermeable to flour and raw eggs!
    09-30-16 11:02 AM
    Keep the Priv. It's a great device and as a software company, BlackBerry is going to keep supporting it.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-30-16 11:15 AM
    More so the bigger point is, "who effin cares."

I've personally used a "dead" Pre 3 for 3 straight years, and I bought it AFTER the webOS announcements, as part of HP liquidating the stock to their employees. I still use it as my Skype desk phone, and this it's still surviving several rounds of Skype cutting out old clients. Besides, how bad can it get, the Priv still running the current Android. I have a TouchPad with Android 4.4 and it still runs fine. It will take a while before Marshmallow go truly out of support.

If you have problems deciding what to do with your own money and need someone to tell you what to do, you have bigger fish to fry than an "out of support" phone that is not KNOWN.
    I have a pre3 with the best slider PKB ever... also a slightly cramped veer & dual OS TouchPad with webOS & cyangoen android... those were the victims of great Hardware & Software headed up by a sellerie PEZ... sound familiar?

09-30-16 04:08 PM
    Keep it man. I posted this comment in another forum. You are good to go for years with Blackberry.

Blackberry is going to concentrate on software now. They are committed to devices well into 2018.

Think of it, others build the hardware, and Blackberry makes the software. And what makes any device amazing, is it the hardware or software? Do people love the iPhone hardware? No it is iOS that they love. Is it The Passport that we love or is it the amazingly well written software that runs the Passport that we love?

Blackberry has done something nobody has done and spread the hardware costs to the manufacturer. So this immature business attitude some of you have is just silly. Blackberry has and always has been software.

I want a world secured with Blackberry software than a world without it. And think about it, if TCL were willing to build the hardware, what would stop Blackberry now from building a version of Blackberry 10 that can run on that hardware since now they allocate the money they would have spent on hardware on further Blackberry 10 development.

Just think about that for a bit. That is what I think the executive team means by saying they have "future expectations of Blackberry 10". So let's just trust Chen and his fantastic team. Remember, Heins and Basile are the two incompetents that put Blackberry in this mess and Chen has had to work with what he has, and what he has done is 'COURAGE' and determination at its finest.

Keep the phone it is defiantly worth it I got a Priv just 4 days ago and I already love it. Even with the BlackBerry licensing there hardware it will last at the least 3 or 4 more years before there might be a real issue

09-30-16 07:27 PM
    Keep the phone, it's awesome.

Clicked and flicked with my Priv.
    09-30-16 08:08 PM
    Thanks all. I've been a blackberry user off and on for some time. My main reasons for the priv were blackberry claim of most secure and the frequent updates. My concern was would the company lose momentum or interest. After all. Providing support for the priv is not going to make
    Chen any money.

10-01-16 04:31 PM

Thanks all. I've been a blackberry user off and on for some time. My main reasons for the priv were blackberry claim of most secure and the frequent updates. My concern was would the company lose momentum or interest. After all. Providing support for the priv is not going to make
    Chen any money.

10-01-16 04:43 PM