Does it burn battery resources excessively or not? If yes, is BlackBerry going to fix it? Isn't it supposed to be a power conserving feature? What's the scoop here?
    08-24-16 05:56 PM
    Good question

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-24-16 07:31 PM
    Adaptive brightness works. And it has no appreciable effect on battery consumption.
    artemis-kun likes this.
    08-24-16 08:10 PM
    I've used it since MM update and it doesn't drain my battery.

Posted from my BlackBerry Priv on Rogers Network.
    artemis-kun likes this.
    08-24-16 09:32 PM
    I can't tell if it saves or needs more battery but some users favour LUX:
    How to Improve Your Android Phone?s Automatic Brightness With Lux

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d=com.vito.lux

Needs quite some permissions, but at least lists why it needs them.
    08-25-16 01:35 AM
    I believe the main purpose of adaptive brightness is for your viewing comfort. As for energy consumption, it pretty much depends on where you are during the day, or more precisely the lighting conditions you use your phone in.

Posted from my  Passport
    andy957 likes this.
    08-25-16 04:49 AM
    The only complaint I have with it is that it is too slow to respond if you get an incoming call outdoors. By the time it cranks the brightness the call has gone to voicemail, so you can't see who's calling.
    08-25-16 08:40 AM
    I guess what works is a relative term. Yes it adjusts your brightness relative to the ambient light. But it is completely non-configurable, so you need to rely on what the Google developers considered was an appropriate brightness level for all ambient light conditons. I suppose making it relative to the brightness set on slider setting was an attempt to fix that problem, but it only makes it worse. Under very bright ambient conditions (such as sunlight) there is no override so your screen becomes almost invisible if you have it set to anything less than maximum. In other words, it only works some of the time, and only according to the parameters established by others. Does it save battery? Beyond the brightness setting already configurable on the slider...I doubt it has much of an impact. And it's confusion adjusting to the ambient light can also be a bit irritating. In short, I can appreciate what they are trying to do, but it still needs some work.

Posted via BlackBerry Priv STV100-1
    gallouly and andy957 like this.
    08-25-16 12:25 PM
    I turned mine off and did notice a increase in my battery life.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    tp0d and texn884 like this.
    08-25-16 12:42 PM
    The only complaint I have with it is that it is too slow to respond if you get an incoming call outdoors. By the time it cranks the brightness the call has gone to voicemail, so you can't see who's calling.
    I completely agree. It needs a good 10 seconds to realize your outside which is really annoying when someone is calling or if you need to unlock your phone quickly

Posted via my Priv
    gallouly, dan99x99 and Wezard like this.
    08-25-16 01:01 PM
    I completely agree. It needs a good 10 seconds to realize your outside which is really annoying when someone is calling or if you need to unlock your phone quickly

Posted via my Priv
    Take a look at Velis Auto Brightness.
    I used it on my previous phone and it seems to work well on Priv as well.
    It has an Advanced settings mode which allows you to change sensitivity, i.e. smoothing time and set override for faster reactions when large changes in ambient light occur. That should help you with your problem.
    Adaptive Brightness, the truth?-screenshot-26-aug-2016-01_57_09-.jpg
    FF22 likes this.
    08-25-16 07:01 PM
    I'm using velis too. Works great.

Ride or die:  PRIVelege-acy
    Mirko935 likes this.
    08-25-16 08:40 PM
    Does it burn battery resources excessively or not? If yes, is BlackBerry going to fix it? Isn't it supposed to be a power conserving feature? What's the scoop here?
    In my experience...

Adaptive brightness;
    1. If you set it, and the brightness you apply is high, then yes, it uses up battery terribly.

2. If you set it, and apply about 60% brightness, then no it doesn't use the battery so much.

3. If you always use it somewhere that is very bright, like mid summer outdoors, then the battery gets used up faster because the adaptive brightness is trying hard to keep the screen visible.
    Last edited by Gajja; 08-26-16 at 06:37 AM.
    FF22 and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    08-26-16 06:06 AM
    In my experience...

1. If you set it, and the brightness you apply is high, then yes, it uses up battery terribly.

2. If you set it, and apply about 60% brightness, then no it doesn't use the battery so much.

3. If you always use it somewhere that is very bright, like mid summer outdoors, then the battery gets used up faster because the adaptive brightness is trying hard to keep the screen visible.
    I believe what the OP is trying to ask is whether or not adaptive brightness uses more battery than manually setting desired brightness, because of the constant activity of the light sensor and the calculations that the phone has to do in order to continually set ideal brightness value.

Perhaps I understood it wrong. But if that is the question, I don't believe it has much impact on battery life, it's not a complicated feature.
    08-26-16 06:28 AM
    I believe what the OP is trying to ask is whether or not adaptive brightness uses more battery than manually setting desired brightness, because of the constant activity of the light sensor and the calculations that the phone has to do in order to continually set ideal brightness value.

Perhaps I understood it wrong. But if that is the question, I don't believe it has much impact on battery life, it's not a complicated feature.
    I don't know what was in the OP's mind, but I think you are right about the calculations and sensor etc not using a lot of power.
    If the question is about screen power consumption, then yes it's the screen itself using up the power when the adaptive brightness cranks up the screen output (power consumption) in sunny/bright places to maintain the level of visibility relative to the level that happens to have been selected on the brightness slider.
    Mirko935 likes this.
    08-26-16 06:43 AM
    Technically true, but if you are using mainly outdoors / summer, then you will by necessity, have the brightness high manually. Which is also going to suck more battery. And on the occasions when you are not in the sun, there will be no adaptive to cut the screen, possibly resulting in even more battery use. Or necessitating playing with manual brightness before you do anything.

60% with adaptive ON is where I keep mine. Great battery life.
    It's usable, just barely, in the midday sun, (after the 10 - 15 sec adjust time) and in most situations works well.
    The adaptive algorithms are far from optimal, but in my opinion, better than not having it.

Velis looks intriguing, I will have to try it, though I tend to not use apps I don't really need. I may find I need this one.
    08-26-16 06:49 AM
    Take a look at Velis
    How / why do you have 'tomato' showing as your carrier?
    08-26-16 06:52 AM
    How / why do you have 'tomato' showing as your carrier?
    Well, because my carrier's name is really 'tomato' Tomato - Najjeftinije i točka.
    Try Velis, you might like it. Aside from what I pointed out earlier, you can set the entire Ambient light-Display brightness graph manually if you don't need as much brightness as the built-in Adaptive brighness sets so you can save power etc., it's really great. At least give it a go. If you find that you don't like it, uninstall it and that's it.
    08-26-16 07:01 AM
    I even did a search for 'tomato cell carrier' before I asked, nothing can up.

I did just download Velis, phones still on charge, and have to head to work, so won't get to play wiyh it for a while.
    08-26-16 07:09 AM
    I even did a search for 'tomato cell carrier' before I asked, nothing can up.

I did just download Velis, phones still on charge, and have to head to work, so won't get to play wiyh it for a while.
    Yes, it's a silly name to say the least

Just don't forget to disable built-in adaptive brightness when you activate Velis. I think the built-in feature has priority so Velis won't be able to work.
    08-26-16 08:00 AM
    I'm liking Velis, didn't have a chance to play with anything, just went through the set up wizard.
    Had a chance to use it outside, full sun and partly cloudy - inside, dimish warehouse, bright conference room, and in my darkish office.
    Works great, and fast, speed of change was the only thing I didn't leave on default. Prob won't even mess with settings till I get curious and / or bored.
    Thanks
    Mirko935 likes this.
    08-26-16 03:45 PM
    The part that I don't get is why it even takes it so long to respond to the lighting conditions... I mean, I get that you don't want it instantly responding to lighting changes, but the sensor updates in real time if you use an app that shows you the lux reading from it, so it could totally be made to respond faster, I'd say.

As for the topic itself, at best, adaptive brightness would use an undetectable amount of excess battery. It'll all come down to where you normally are with the phone, if you never go outside with it in bright sunlight, then having it on won't make a difference at all. If you're regularly out in the sun, then yes, it'll use more battery by virtue of making your screen brighter.
    08-26-16 04:28 PM
    With my physical challenge I drive using hand controls both hands being occupied either on the accelerator break or on the steering wheel. Therefore I need to be able to see who's calling during driving so that I can know if I need to pull over and take the call or if I need to call back or if I need to do something else. When I go in the car it's a pain in the neck each time to adjust the brightness level since phone is just about invisible if it's left on a low level appropriate to indoor use. That is the reason for my interest in this....
    FF22 likes this.
    08-26-16 04:31 PM
    That is the reason for my interest in this
    Give the Velis a try, if you don't like it, you can always uninstall.
    Mirko935 likes this.
    08-26-16 05:20 PM
    I'm liking Velis, didn't have a chance to play with anything, just went through the set up wizard.
    Had a chance to use it outside, full sun and partly cloudy - inside, dimish warehouse, bright conference room, and in my darkish office.
    Works great, and fast, speed of change was the only thing I didn't leave on default. Prob won't even mess with settings till I get curious and / or bored.
    Thanks
    Told you it was good Here are my settings (manual graph edit), if you want it a little dimmer to save some battery. My max is at 220 and it's still quite visible in direct sunlight. I might even make it a little darker overall. I get migraines from bright light so my screens are always as dim as possible.
    Adaptive Brightness, the truth?-screenshot-27-aug-2016-15_51_52-.jpg

Btw, I noticed a little bug... If you use the Superdimming feature the Productivity tab's background becomes completely transparent. Otherwise the app works great on Priv.

The part that I don't get is why it even takes it so long to respond to the lighting conditions... I mean, I get that you don't want it instantly responding to lighting changes, but the sensor updates in real time if you use an app that shows you the lux reading from it, so it could totally be made to respond faster, I'd say.
    I guess they wanted to make it respond to light changes very smoothly, try Velis with very quick response time and you'll see that it looks as if the screen is flickering which can be a little distracting and annoying. But, yes, built-in adaptive brightness is way too slow for my taste as well. I don't know is it Android's default behaviour or is it BB that made it so slow.
    trott3r likes this.
    08-27-16 09:06 AM
29 12