A question for you seasoned Priv drivers. Today was my second full day of using my Priv and I've noticed what I deem unusual battery life based on the threads I've read here.

I've had my Priv a week but just got around to doing the data transfer from my Z30 this weekend and finally activating it Sunday night. Yesterday I brought it to work with me and although using it some to get used to it, I really didn't pay much attention to the battery state. Today I tried using it quite a bit, browsing, emails, texts, some music, adjusting personal settings and reading while at lunch, pretty much anything I could think of as my normal personal use (I have a work assigned Z30) and it was never on WiFi because this phone isn't allowed on our network. I did make about 15 calls of varying length as well as downloading several data files. I also took several photos and sent them to my home PC.

With the above in mind, the first anomaly I noticed was this morning, about 7am driving in that my phone was showing a 100% charge, it being unplugged about 6:15am. That in itself I blew off as a glitch with the indicator, but checking it again at 9:48 , even after some use, it was still displaying 100%. See the attached screen shots. Definitely an error. Another check at 10:44, after quite a bit of use, now showed 94%. So it was starting to show use but 6% drain after being unplugged for 4.5hrs and in moderate use, unlikely. Another screen shot at 14:43 shows 87% after quite a bit of use. At 17:41 it was then showing 75% , after a full day of moderate, with short intervals of heavy, use. 25% battery drain in an almost 12hr day does not jive with the average reported experiences of the posters here.

I question the accuracy of the monitor. I also took a screen shot of the battery monitor graph, which is mirroring the monitor screen display, showing a very gradual drain, but definitely not what I expected.

I plan on letting it run to dead to see how accurate it is during that full drain. Is there a recommended battery app that is trusted to be reliable? I'll try that as well.

As a side note that may or may not effect the battery situation, last night I disabled a number of pre-installed bloat apps, as well as many Google apps, curious as to the effect on battery drainage. Most any app I found running in the background but not needed or used by me, I disabled. No system apps, BlackBerry or Google, were disabled.

Thoughts?

p.s. How do I attach photos in edit with this android CB app? I don't see the usual options I had on my Z30.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 08-30-16 at 08:27 PM.
    08-30-16 07:33 PM
    In my experience most device battery monitor indicators are about as accurate as most car fuel gauges, and behave in a similar way by showing 100% when the actual value is less and by changing values more rapidly as they get close to empty.
    08-30-16 07:48 PM
    Discharge it and charge it fully a couple of times. It should calibrate.
    08-30-16 08:20 PM
    Forgot to attach the screen shots and couldn't do it in edit.

Attached Thumbnails Accuracy of battery state indicator?-3191.jpg  
    08-30-16 08:30 PM
    It wouldn't upload them together

Attached Thumbnails Accuracy of battery state indicator?-3186.jpg  
    08-30-16 08:32 PM
    One more after this one

Attached Thumbnails Accuracy of battery state indicator?-3190.jpg  
    08-30-16 08:33 PM
    Last one

Attached Thumbnails Accuracy of battery state indicator?-3185.jpg  
    08-30-16 08:34 PM
    Discharge it and charge it fully a couple of times. It should calibrate.
    That's what I'm doing. I never had this bad of inaccuracies with my other BB phones, they were actually fairly reliable in battery monitoring but I also used an another battery monitor app to compare them with.

08-30-16 08:38 PM
    That's what I'm doing. I never had this bad of inaccuracies with my other BB phones, they were actually fairly reliable in battery monitoring but I also used an another battery monitor app to compare them with.

Me neither. Not even with the PRIV. My friend did have something like that with a z30 for a few days. It would only charge to 90 as well.
    08-30-16 08:39 PM
    13hrs off the charger now and showing 71%.

Attached Thumbnails Accuracy of battery state indicator?-3194.jpg  
    08-30-16 08:41 PM
    Well keep us updated. Maybe the recent version of Priv is that good :v

08-30-16 09:14 PM
    Darn phone is downstairs so I can't well which battery app I'm using. But I think they do a reasonable job.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    08-30-16 10:42 PM
    Darn phone is downstairs so I can't well which battery app I'm using. But I think they do a reasonable job.
    Don't be lazy go downstairs!
    rotorwrench likes this.
    08-30-16 11:01 PM
    22:00 and at 43% now, after moderate correspondence, heavy browsing and app updates. Still not dead. I'm beginning to believe the battery monitor is possibly correct. We'll see.

Attached Thumbnails Accuracy of battery state indicator?-3196.jpg  
    08-30-16 11:07 PM
    Don't be lazy go downstairs!
    Eventually, I did just that. But I am to be forgiven, my hip is not exactly functioning. So I limp up and especially down my rather steep staircase.

GSam Battery Monitor Pro. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...amlabs.bbm.pro
    Mirko935 and Uzi like this.
    08-30-16 11:58 PM
    Midnight and still alive, 38%. Much better than I expected.

Attached Thumbnails Accuracy of battery state indicator?-3197.jpg  
    08-31-16 01:03 AM
    I don't know what has changed but my battery life of the Priv has just skyrocketed in the last couple of days. I unplugged the phone at 5:30 am this morning and it is now 12:30am the next day and with 2.5 hrs SOT I'm still sitting at 30% I was kind of skeptical at first too because it took about 3 hours before the battery meter started dropping in the morning LOL
    08-31-16 02:32 AM
    Eventually, I did just that. But I am to be forgiven, my hip is not exactly functioning. So I limp up and especially down my rather steep staircase.

GSam Battery Monitor Pro. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...amlabs.bbm.pro
    I just wanted to recommend GSam There is also a free version.

Regarding accuracy, the battery charge percentage is calculated from the battery's voltage (from around 4.2 to 3.6 V for Li-ion batteries). It's never one hundred percent precise and such drops can happen. Especially if you use a very power-hungry app, just drawing a lot of power from any power source, including batteries, lowers the voltage temporarily, so it can even go up in some cases after that power draw is stopped. Haven't seen that since Android 4.1 so I guess they enhanced the measurement algorithms, but you needn't worry if there are sudden drops like that or even slight fluctuations. For the above-mentioned reason it's impossible to measure the percentage in real time, so to say, it's approximated over time so it's normal that it skips a few percent now and then.

I'm not an electro-technician so do take this with a grain of salt.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-31-16 03:36 AM
    Is the OP using marshmallow?
    The power saving is supposed to be better with that os
    FF22 likes this.
    08-31-16 06:27 AM
    I think he is stuck with Verizon, so LL!
    rotorwrench likes this.
    08-31-16 09:14 AM
    25hrs and still not dead. I'm thinking the battery monitor is not that inaccurate now. Keep in mind though that from midnight to 6am my phone was in airplane mode, which I'm sure makes a difference. I'm at work and will continue to let it run down.

Attached Thumbnails Accuracy of battery state indicator?-3202.jpg  
    08-31-16 09:34 AM
    I wish, but no, I'm a VZW slave still on Lollipop.

08-31-16 09:38 AM
    I think he is stuck with Verizon, so LL!
    That's right, rub it in!

08-31-16 09:39 AM
    11:00 and at 18% , 29hrs since last charge and the battery monitor appears to be indicating properly, since the phone hasn't gone dead yet. General email and text correspondence, browsing associated with work, 4 phone calls and 30mins of listening to some music at my desk. I'm grudgingly becoming impressed with this Priv in SOME areas, battery being one of them.

Attached Thumbnails Accuracy of battery state indicator?-3204.jpg  
    FF22 likes this.
    08-31-16 12:14 PM
    That's right, rub it in!

You are not alone - unfortunately!
    08-31-16 12:22 PM
37 12