So thinking about heading to the nearest retail store and demanding marshmallow for my phone. I will lay down and block the entrance so no one is allowed in and out. Sounds pretty dumb and idiotic correct?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    mmcclure0453 likes this.
    07-26-16 11:18 AM
    Go for it!

But the best you might get would be an offer to allow you to return the PRIV. Worst is a night in Jail.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-26-16 11:24 AM
    I have thought about calling customer service/retention and suggesting that this failure to issue MM after almost every other carrier has done so is making me consider moving carriers since they don't seem to support the devices that they sell. And also suggesting that if I changed carriers I could purchase an unlocked machine which gets updates directly from the manufacturer.

Does Verizon have a twitter link?
    07-26-16 12:53 PM
    I was at the Blackberry Security Summit and mentioned this very issue. in fact, I mentioned that we PRIV users on VZW have yet to receive the July Security update regardless of Blackberry's "zero-day" patching strategy.

He took notes and promised to get back to me (sorry i don't remember his name but he was VERY young). He did indeed come and find me during the lunch break and told me he had reached out to VZW and that the July Security update will be rolled into the Marshmallow update and that it was coming "very soon".

Considering that it is July 26th, I am hoping (but not overly optimistic) about seeing MM before 1 August.

Take that FWIW...
    FF22 and 00stryder like this.
    07-26-16 01:11 PM
    So thinking about heading to the nearest retail store and demanding marshmallow for my phone. I will lay down and block the entrance so no one is allowed in and out. Sounds pretty dumb and idiotic correct?

A night in jail might be the least of your issues - you may be charged with the "lack of productivity" for that specific store during the time of your "lay-down" But interesting idea...

VZW - it's all about the $ 's.
    00stryder likes this.
    07-26-16 01:13 PM

Stand outside the nearest VZW Kiosk with a sign that reads "Can't make Smores 'cause I have no Marshmallow!"
    In the past contacting the FCC has worked pretty well, VZW has to answer when you open a case against them.
    Or better yet call your local news stations and tell them there is a man picketing the VZW store, if even one shows up you got Gold.
    Last edited by 1linuxfreak; 07-26-16 at 02:43 PM.
    00stryder and FF22 like this.
    07-26-16 01:34 PM

Yeah, but 'dumb' and 'idiotic' actually seems to be effective these days... Take a look at the majority of large corporations' antics and/or how Government bodies operate... 'Dumb' and 'idiotic' works when the consumer base fits the profile... Fortunately for you, now is the time to capitalize... Lie down on the sidewalk! I'm sure you'll get something out of it... That something may or may not be a ride in the back seat of some pigs' patrol cruiser, but hey, at least you'll have the satisfaction of knowing Verizon heard you... #FistPumpOfSolidarity

Posted via CB10
    07-26-16 02:11 PM
    Verizon Priv Owners Matter
    Last edited by 1linuxfreak; 07-26-16 at 06:19 PM.
    ummie4, fknaut, medic22003 and 3 others like this.
    07-26-16 06:04 PM
    I was at the Blackberry Security Summit and mentioned this very issue. in fact, I mentioned that we PRIV users on VZW have yet to receive the July Security update regardless of Blackberry's "zero-day" patching strategy.

He took notes and promised to get back to me (sorry i don't remember his name but he was VERY young). He did indeed come and find me during the lunch break and told me he had reached out to VZW and that the July Security update will be rolled into the Marshmallow update and that it was coming "very soon".

Considering that it is July 26th, I am hoping (but not overly optimistic) about seeing MM before 1 August.

Take that FWIW...
    " soon"... so Verizon uses that line on BlackBerry execs too

Posted via the CB App for PRIV
    FF22 likes this.
    07-26-16 06:58 PM
    Blackberry matters
    ubbulls likes this.
    07-26-16 07:08 PM
    All blackberries matter...

mmcclure0453 and ubbulls like this.
    07-26-16 07:19 PM
    I have thought about calling customer service/retention and suggesting that this failure to issue MM after almost every other carrier has done so is making me consider moving carriers since they don't seem to support the devices that they sell. And also suggesting that if I changed carriers I could purchase an unlocked machine which gets updates directly from the manufacturer.

Does Verizon have a twitter link?
    Here is info on Verizon's twitter address: https://twitter.com/verizon
    LOL the hash tag slogan they have on their page is #BetterMatters. If the Priv owners on Verizon use Verizon's own hash tag in messages to them, maybe that would get their attention.
    If you change carriers for your main phone, and you need the coverage Verizon gives in the wilderness you can get a prepaid phone to carry for emergencies. My main carrier is T-Mobile and I bought my Priv directly from ShopBlackBerry. But I have a backup prepaid Verizon (it does calls and texts) phone for when I go to areas that are not covered by T-Mobile. The plan is $10 a month with minutes rolled over if not used.
    FF22 and mmcclure0453 like this.
    07-30-16 02:55 AM
    Verizon the same for all phones? Does it always take that long?

Posted via Passport SE Maximus Productivity
    07-30-16 05:39 AM
    Verizon the same for all phones? Does it always take that long?

Posted via Passport SE Maximus Productivity
    It has been this way since my first smartphone, a Treo 270. With WebOS I used to take the verizon package out of the loader and put it in another loader, otherwise it took several months to get an update. They claimed it was because they had to fully test it in their network, but I never had a problem with a franken-loader on WebOS. The additional nice feature was that I could remove some of the verizon bloatware before installing.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-30-16 06:15 AM
    Here is info on Verizon's twitter address: https://twitter.com/verizon
    LOL the hash tag slogan they have on their page is #BetterMatters. If the Priv owners on Verizon use Verizon's own hash tag in messages to them, maybe that would get their attention.
    If you change carriers for your main phone, and you need the coverage Verizon gives in the wilderness you can get a prepaid phone to carry for emergencies. My main carrier is T-Mobile and I bought my Priv directly from ShopBlackBerry. But I have a backup prepaid Verizon (it does calls and texts) phone for when I go to areas that are not covered by T-Mobile. The plan is $10 a month with minutes rolled over if not used.
    Thanks for the Twitter link.

Okay, I have to admit I don't do much Tweeting. I generally only follow a few "twitterers!" How long after I tweet them will it show up on the stream?
    07-30-16 09:19 AM
    The major carriers are a JOKE when it comes to updates. I had a Moto X play for a few months (until I bricked it, going nuts with ROMs) and it worked on every carrier and got updates like clockwork straight from Motorola/Lenovo/whomever. Iphones get the same. BlackBerry should jump out of the carrier channels and do the same, and release phones that work on every network.

I'm really asking, is there a reason this is impossible? Does it cost extra money for a manufacturer to do this?

I picture a literal chimpanzee locked in a room at Verizon and AT&T headquarters poking at a computer with his filthy ape fingers, running virtual android machines on a laptop, with a desk stacked with DVDs on ROMs waiting for approval, surrounded by bananas and chimpanzee poo.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android (Priv)
    07-30-16 10:36 AM
    While you're laying down demanding Mashmallow, may as well start to demand Nougat.

Android 7.0 Nougat tipped for August release as internal testing build leaks | Android Central

Heh.
    07-30-16 11:16 AM
    While you're laying down demanding Mashmallow, may as well start to demand Nougat.

Android 7.0 Nougat tipped for August release as internal testing build leaks | Android Central

Heh.
    The way it looks right now MM is a long shot, the sad part is that Nougat will probably never happen on the Priv, but the Priv will be capable of running Nougat and the future Android "O".
    When the phone is yours you should not be locked out of installing whatever you want on it.
    I buy a computer and it comes with Winders 10, but I want Linux on it, Micro$oft tried to lock the BIOS with UEFI but thankfully I can run any Linux Distro that bought the UEFI license. A device is yours, putting Linux or BSD on a laptop does not "HARM THE NETWORK" as Verizon would have you or the FCC believe, nor does custom ROMs on phone, the ROMs are not targeting the NETWORK.

Oh FYI, no Network is secure.
    FF22 and shabbs like this.
    07-30-16 12:22 PM

Heh.
    Touche !

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android (Priv)
    07-30-16 06:52 PM
    Well, I must have not TWEETED properly. I do not see my Tweet on the verizon link.
    07-30-16 08:01 PM
    It's coming soon.

07-30-16 10:36 PM
    The carriers always find a reason to drag out the update process. They want you to think your device is outdated and you need to trade up. Buy unlocked and get the updates quick

07-31-16 12:27 AM
    The carriers always find a reason to drag out the update process. They want you to think your device is outdated and you need to trade up. Buy unlocked and get the updates quick

The problem, again, is that you canNOT buy the Verizon model of the Priv or any BB phone from ShopBB or any other outlet that sells factory unlocked phones. Some of us find Verizon has the best coverage in more remote areas while others have really good older plans. And the Verizon BB phones are UNlocked and you can use other sims in them without jumping through unlock code hoops. But you can't get OS updates any sooner than when Verizon releases them.
    6120111 and bluesqueen23 like this.
    07-31-16 12:55 AM
    So far, including in this thread, I haven't seen anything that contradicts the current talk of an August release, maybe even in the next week or two.
    07-31-16 08:50 AM
    . And the Verizon BB phones are UNlocked and you can use other sims in them without jumping through unlock code hoops. But you can't get OS updates any sooner than when Verizon releases them.
    They're required to be unlocked, thank Google and the 700mhz auction for that.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-31-16 08:51 AM
52 123