11-27-15 06:21 PM
    Nice! That's a nice lineup of phones, and the PRIV deserves to be included.
    sam81 likes this.
    11-27-15 06:34 PM
    Considering that the Priv hasn't been released in any country but USA,Canada,UK, and considering that the device will probably launch in 2016 in any other country aside from those 3, it it bit weird to include the Priv in a "best phone of the year" list....Nobody in the world other than the people in those countries can test this thing as of now. Maybe the rest of the world doesn't even agree with listing the Priv, certainly the the people involved with making that list, didn't take into account all the issues people are having with their devices as can be read on Crackberry lol. Should be titled: "best smartphones of the year according to Canadians".
    11-27-15 06:56 PM
    Considering that the Priv hasn't been released in any country but USA,Canada,UK, and considering that the device will probably launch in 2016 in any other country aside from those 3, it it bit weird to include the Priv in a "best phone of the year" list....Nobody in the world other than the people in those countries can test this thing as of now. Maybe the rest of the world doesn't even agree with listing the Priv, certainly the the people involved with making that list, didn't take into account all the issues people are having with their devices as can be read on Crackberry lol. Should be titled: "best smartphones of the year according to Canadians".
    So what you are saying is the Priv made the list by knocking off other phones that had the advantage of being released to the entire world? Good point!
    00stryder, Carmels and chang69 like this.
    11-27-15 07:55 PM
    They could have at least shown an image of the BlackBerry Priv...
    middbrew likes this.
    11-27-15 08:19 PM
    USA is really the only country that matters. We set all the trends.

Posted via CB10
    Camelhmpz likes this.
    11-27-15 08:21 PM
    Yeah because they showed an image of all the other phones. Those biased jerks.....
    11-27-15 09:50 PM

Posted via CB10
    As boisterous as this claim is, I unfortunately have to agree...

Posted via CB10
    11-28-15 07:23 AM

Posted via CB10
    (irony on)
    Hehe yes and look where the world is now. Well done.... (irony off)

Oh dear.

quinnspoppy and ridmaur like this.
    11-28-15 09:24 AM
    I didn't say it was right. I am just stating truth.

This is why a Verizon delay, or even skipping Verizon all together is such a risky move by a Smartphone maker.

You might argue Apple bucked this trend with the AT&T exclusivity. You would be wrong.

Verizon created Android popularity that did not exist before. Apple would have been like Windows on the PC had they launched on all carriers at once (in terms of market share, not blue screens). Android would still be that crap G1 on T-Mobile.

Because the USA sets all smartphone trends it's a fatal mistake to skip Verizon or delay. It's true CDMA is a niche technology in terms of the rest of the world. However, without it you won't have a big enough splash in the USA market. Therefore, the rest of the world won't buy your smartphone.

Anyone who says GSM first is a smart strategy misunderstands the power of the American consumer and Verizon's market share.

Posted via CB10
    00stryder likes this.
    11-28-15 12:25 PM

Posted via CB10
    And sadly that is why other nationalities don't like to sit by middle-aged Americans on cruise ships. LOL We love Americans but they tend to let us all know how great they are.
    00stryder and Carbonman1 like this.
    11-28-15 12:30 PM
    I didn't say it was right. I am just stating truth.

This is why a Verizon delay, or even skipping Verizon all together is such a risky move by a Smartphone maker.

You might argue Apple bucked this trend with the AT&T exclusivity. You would be wrong.

Verizon created Android popularity that did not exist before. Apple would have been like Windows on the PC had they launched on all carriers at once (in terms of market share, not blue screens). Android would still be that crap G1 on T-Mobile.

Because the USA sets all smartphone trends it's a fatal mistake to skip Verizon or delay. It's true CDMA is a niche technology in terms of the rest of the world. However, without it you won't have a big enough splash in the USA market. Therefore, the rest of the world won't buy your smartphone.

Anyone who says GSM first is a smart strategy misunderstands the power of the American consumer and Verizon's market share.

Posted via CB10
    Basically this.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-15 12:52 PM
    Basically this.

Posted via CB10
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._phones_in_use

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-28-15 01:13 PM
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._phones_in_use

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    I'm not sure what exactly that proves? We all know that both India and China have larger populations that the US, and by extension more potential smartphone users, but that doesn't have anything to do with how worldwide trends are started. The American media dictates everything. Don't believe me? Ask anyone familiar with 80s/90s hip-hop about twerking and tell me how many list Miley Cyrus as a founding member of the movement.

I don't want to believe this to be true, but I know better.

(Just FYI, not that it really matters, but my family immigrated to Canada where I grew up most of my life and I'm now living in the US. And despite all that, I still agree with brian_peterson.)

Posted via CB10
    11-28-15 01:27 PM

Posted via CB10
    & nobody else in their right mind would plunk down 700 samolians for that creaky thing cobbled together with outsourced parts & some old stuff left in the back room of the maquiladora next to the bottles of dollar store glue...

Posted via CB10
    11-28-15 01:46 PM
    Again, I am not exactly always proud that the consumerism of the world revolves around the USA.

My main point is that BlackBerry has not figured this out. They always try and release on AT&T and wonder why they are failing. Many here advocate the same failed logic.

To be successful in the smartphone business you need to release CDMA and GSM at the same time.

This is a very significant contributing factor to BlackBerry's failings.

I wish Chen got this. But he hasn't. I get it. It is logical to release GSM first because of the numbers that the Wikipedia article above states. But if BlackBerry would get how American consumerism drives world demand they might start crushing it with the Priv.

Samsung gets it. Apple now gets it (but it took a long time that ended up producing an Android revolution).

Microsoft also doesn't get it. Don't bother in the smartphone business if you don't release simultaneously on all major USA carriers. It will kill the demand they hope to seek.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-15 04:50 PM
    My wife's needs to are filled by a smaller format with a good camera... she just picked up a Motorola Droid Mini released July 223, 2013 on Verizon. She now uses it on ATT since it has both GSM & CDMA radios. It still sells briskly.

Why didn't BlackBerry simply make one model with all bands enabled & QI charge ?? Carriers in the US must unlock for foreign travel on demand even on subsidized models.

Dumb...
    11-29-15 06:00 AM
    So what you are saying is the Priv made the list by knocking off other phones that had the advantage of being released to the entire world? Good point!
    Do you always twist/interpret peoples words to your advantage?
    11-29-15 07:59 AM
    I was thinking the same thing. They obviously can't find one anywhere
    11-29-15 08:40 AM
    Again, I am not exactly always proud that the consumerism of the world revolves around the USA.

My main point is that BlackBerry has not figured this out. They always try and release on AT&T and wonder why they are failing. Many here advocate the same failed logic.

To be successful in the smartphone business you need to release CDMA and GSM at the same time.

This is a very significant contributing factor to BlackBerry's failings.

I wish Chen got this. But he hasn't. I get it. It is logical to release GSM first because of the numbers that the Wikipedia article above states. But if BlackBerry would get how American consumerism drives world demand they might start crushing it with the Priv.

Samsung gets it. Apple now gets it (but it took a long time that ended up producing an Android revolution).

Microsoft also doesn't get it. Don't bother in the smartphone business if you don't release simultaneously on all major USA carriers. It will kill the demand they hope to seek.

Posted via CB10
    Actually Apple went to Verizon first and Verizon, being Verizon, wouldn't meet Apple's demands for no bloat ware or branding on the phone etc because, "we're Verizon and you need us more than we need you. Our way or not". Apple said sayonara and went to AT&T who was willing to play. Now while I agree that not having Verizon on board is a tough proposition for gaining market share, in the case of the iPhone, the product was so truly revolutionary in terms of mobile phone use that people actually left their carriers to go to AT&T. Verizon lost out huge on that one. They were able to come back by promoting the crap out of droids and subsequently were hugely responsible for helping android gain market share.
    00stryder likes this.
    11-29-15 09:47 AM
    in the case of the iPhone, the product was so truly revolutionary in terms of mobile phone use that people actually left their carriers to go to AT&T..
    I swapped carriers to get the Priv.
    11-29-15 10:00 AM
    Actually Apple went to Verizon first and Verizon, being Verizon, wouldn't meet Apple's demands for no bloat ware or branding on the phone etc because, "we're Verizon and you need us more than we need you. Our way or not". Apple said sayonara and went to AT&T who was willing to play. Now while I agree that not having Verizon on board is a tough proposition for gaining market share, in the case of the iPhone, the product was so truly revolutionary in terms of mobile phone use that people actually left their carriers to go to AT&T. Verizon lost out huge on that one. They were able to come back by promoting the crap out of droids and subsequently were hugely responsible for helping android gain market share.
    That's kind of my point. Apple should have allowed all the Verizon crap. I agree Verizon ended up creating AT&T because they refused the iPhone by making Apple walk. They both lose on that. But Android was made popular by this spat.

Posted via CB10
    11-29-15 11:46 AM
    A Globe & Mail article that mentions BlackBerry without prefacing them as 'beleagured phone maker'... now that's gotta be a first
    11-29-15 05:56 PM
    I agree. They didn't show an image of all the phones, but the Priv is the only phone that's not simply a slab of glass.

Typically, you would show the unique item on the list rather than all similar ones with only difference in looks being where their name badge is and what that badge is

Posted via CB10
    11-29-15 06:08 PM
    The Priv is here in Hong Kong as I got to check one out at Smartone/Vodaphone while getting a sim card for my new Passport SE. Sharp phone & free on a 2 year contract. While I was checking it out the salesperson was quite knowledgable about "The Priv" and said it was the best selling BlackBerry they have had in awhile & then proceeded to show me his Priv left the IPhone 6 for it. I do see things looking up for BlackBerry and increasing market share. Rocking 24-7 with my Passport SE, 64GB Playbook, & Retired Z10
    11-29-15 09:40 PM