Not sure if this was covered (searched recent threads didnt find anything) BUT....

I am able to run Android Browser (!) and Android Settings which are apparently installed on my PB!

Here is how to do it:

1) Download Ghost Commander file manager from AppWorld
    2) Launch it
    3) On the main page (left panel) tap on Applications
    4) Tap and hold Browser or Settings (the only two that appear to work for me) and select "Launch"
    5) Enjoy
    02-23-12 09:29 PM
    Email works now too! Was able to connect to my exchange server from Android email. I guess I had too many apps running first time I tried.
    02-23-12 09:32 PM
    Thanks man.

I use a home launcher like Go Launcher EX. All those default apps/setting are there.
    02-23-12 09:34 PM
    can you clarify? you side loaded a launcher and it worked giving you a gingerbread desktop with native apps?
    02-23-12 10:36 PM
    can you clarify? you side loaded a launcher and it worked giving you a gingerbread desktop with native apps?
    Didnt sideload anything - its a stock OS2. All I did was downloaded Ghost Commander. I think the Android runtime included on all PlayBooks has all those apps they are just not enabled / visible.
    02-23-12 10:43 PM
    Not sure if this was covered (searched recent threads didnt find anything) BUT....

I am able to run Android Browser (!) and Android Settings which are apparently installed on my PB!

Here is how to do it:

1) Download Ghost Commander file manager from AppWorld
    2) Launch it
    3) On the main page (left panel) tap on Applications
    4) Tap and hold Browser or Settings (the only two that appear to work for me) and select "Launch"
    5) Enjoy
    There's another awesome addition which we got for signing over our souls to androidi I found in there:

"DRM Protected Content Storage"

Yay, I get to have cyber policing on my playbook now yaaay!

Booooo
    02-23-12 10:45 PM
    you can also do this... i had ICS on my PB for the beta just to see how it looked.
    but i like QNX way too much now.
    02-23-12 10:45 PM
    Google native apps were installed from Cyanogen Google Apps files with my preview rooted 2.0.0.6149 prior to upgrading to official 2.0.0.7971.

I followed the instruction here to install android Market and other Google apps.
    Last edited by i-love; 02-23-12 at 10:49 PM.
    02-23-12 10:47 PM
    Google native apps were installed from Cyanogen Google Apps files with my preview rooted 2.0.0.6149 prior to upgrading to official 2.0.0.7971.

I followed the instruction here to install android Market and other Google apps.
    Again - my PB is not rooted and i didn't sideload anything. It was just there ;-)
    02-23-12 10:53 PM
    I can confirm, tried it and it works, found a bunch of stuff some work some do nothing and some crash. Never been rooted, or any side loading Android apps.
    They are probably required to for the android player to function.
    02-23-12 11:47 PM
    Again - my PB is not rooted and i didn't sideload anything. It was just there ;-)
    Yes, I too downloaded Ghost Commander, at your suggestion. I can now have my work email which is on an exchange server that I could not set up on OS2.

I can access the android browser,email,calendar, clock, download files,
    I see access to marketplace, Skype, and more but seem to have trouble with them.

I don't know how to set the android apps on the homepage yet, I keep opening ghost commander. I just started looking at what was on there.

Thanks Linknote!
    maestroplaybook likes this.
    02-24-12 12:15 AM
    This is awesome! Has anyone found a way to add say the clock as an app on the home screen yet? Would be a big step up from the PB clock IMO.
    02-24-12 12:33 AM
    Android 2.3.3
    02-24-12 01:09 AM
    This is awesome! Has anyone found a way to add say the clock as an app on the home screen yet? Would be a big step up from the PB clock IMO.
    I had heard that os2 would have widget support. Who knows.
    02-24-12 01:17 AM
    Whoooooohaaaaaaa, thanks Linknote, this is a backdoor to Android... I could open mail and browser. Will try other apps in the morning... Astounding... Love this little beast!!!
    maestroplaybook likes this.
    02-24-12 07:07 AM
    Interesting find.

Looking through settings, I noticed Android has been tricked into thinking it's connected to a BlackBerry wireless network.

I wonder if these VPN settings would work for Android apps...
    02-24-12 08:55 AM
    Yes. Followed your instructions and it works! Ironically, the android browser renders websites better than the PlayBook stock browser. (the verge, for instance. See attached)

PB can't even beat android gingerbread?
    02-24-12 08:58 AM
    I downloaded Ghost Commander and can't get it to run. In fact, I can't get ANY Android app to run. They all seem to do nothing. I have searched the forums and I believe I am the only person for whom Android apps won't run on OS2. Does anyone have a suggestion for me? I'm usually pretty good at this stuff.
    02-24-12 10:07 AM
    I downloaded Ghost Commander and can't get it to run. In fact, I can't get ANY Android app to run. They all seem to do nothing. I have searched the forums and I believe I am the only person for whom Android apps won't run on OS2. Does anyone have a suggestion for me? I'm usually pretty good at this stuff.
    Close ALL other apps and try again. I have noticed when I have some apps open any Android app I start will just say initializing and will either hang or just quit.
    02-24-12 10:11 AM
    Yes. Followed your instructions and it works! Ironically, the android browser renders websites better than the PlayBook stock browser. (the verge, for instance. See attached)

PB can't even beat android gingerbread?
    wow nice stretch there. Opening the android browser still runs it on QNX there chuckles. Try comparing the Android browser actually running on GB to the PB stock browser running on QNX 2.
    02-24-12 10:16 AM
    I've had the Android runtime crash and become unresponsive. No android apps start in this state. Needed to reboot the PB to get android working again. The stability problems of the runtime limits its usefulness to me.

I noticed the android browser has its UI (the url box) removed.
    02-24-12 10:22 AM
    I found another cool thing through the "Gallery" application. You can crop and save photos and also share them through email.

I was hoping this would help in the wallpaper issues (image gets zoomed in), but even cropping and saving the image doesn't change the PlayBook's issue of displaying the original sized image.

Still looking for an on-device way of making wallpapers work easily.... ever since the initial PB release!
    Last edited by kyleheney; 02-24-12 at 11:00 AM.
    02-24-12 10:57 AM
    Email works now too! Was able to connect to my exchange server from Android email. I guess I had too many apps running first time I tried.
    Thanks for heads up on this app. I can now get my email from telus.
    02-24-12 01:40 PM
    Interesting! I'm even getting the Google Maps App to work!
    02-24-12 01:46 PM
    Dont see what the fuss is about.
    Native apps work fine already - sideloaded apps still work fine without having to navigate a file browser.
    Other than an andriod fan going all weak at the knees, whats a benefit?
    02-24-12 01:48 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD