- 12-28-2012, 05:56 AM #126Proud Member of the PlayBook Beta Test Team (Since June 2011)
- CrackBerry Addict
12-28-2012, 06:21 AM #127
- 811 Posts
I know from experience that my aging Android tablets that only have 512M RAM, are completely fine on original / stock 2.2 Android ROM, but try and put on ICS or JB, and the modest RAM makes it a lot less usable / performant.
If / when BB10 does come to the PlayBook, I think I'll be much more circumspect in terms of updating and see what consensus is, before automatically jumping, as I have with previous PlayBook updates.
- CrackBerry User
12-28-2012, 10:37 AM #129
- 54 Posts
Have to say that we have iPad, Samsung Tab2 in addition to my PB at home. The PB's hardware is so nicely thought-out that it really highlights the half-baked OS's holes, instabilities and lack of optimisation - no need to repeat here the long list of "facepalms" they regularly generate for me and many others...
But I persevere with it because I'm hopeful BB10 will be a transformative upgrade. If it isn't, or we the faithful are kept waiting more than maybe 2 quarters to get it on PB I may have to do the unthinkable and buy a DROID...yikes. Shudder etc
I'd pay a nominal fee because the 10 appears to be so much more, but all of this is of course predicated on 10 launching well and generating cash for RIM to finish the job on the volume handset products, and later acknowledge the patience its PB user base have shown
- CrackBerry Abuser
12-29-2012, 08:50 PM #131
- 260 Posts
I expect the update to be free.
I would be disappointed with and embarrassed for RIM if they charged for the update.
Having said that, I would probably pay a reasonable fee for the update.
I really like my PB and I really LOVE new stuff.
I have wasted thousands of dollars getting the latest greatest in my lifetime.
- 12-29-2012, 11:29 PM #134
I love updates. I think they are still trying to perfect the tablet and the upgrade should be free. Once things are up and running properly and if a new version of the Playbook is release, then probably so.
- 01-06-2013, 12:20 PM #143
Why would i need to pay? I don't see iOS 5.0 users paying anything to upgrade to iOS 6.0 We don't even know how this *new* OS is going to perform against android and apple.
For a Windows OS upgrade, i would pay. Why? Well, because it is a whole OS and it is far more advanced than any other OS's on the market now.
- 01-13-2013, 10:27 AM #144
Would you pay RIM for BB10 OS upgrade on your PlayBook?
nope it is owed to me for waiting and i need a fix for DM which has not worked since the 2.1 update tried all forum reboots Nuthin
Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 until my kick a$$ BB10 is released ! I'm stickin with RIM til one of us dies.A Proud Prosumer of a Z10 & PlayBook
- 01-17-2013, 11:48 AM #146
Well I would not be happy but would pay a nominal fee. That said, it would depend on the current state of my PlayBook's health. By then it will be 2 years old give or take.
However, for the people that have paid full price for it it would be a slap in the face to pay MORE to upgrade it. I just don't see it happening.Phone too slow? Then you need Flow.
The World's Most Fabulous Crack-Droid!
- 01-17-2013, 11:58 AM #147
Are you kidding? Would RIM pay me the 600$ difference of the actual price and the price I put in it after the launch?
P.S. And it's nothing like Apple who sell their outdated models for fewer prices, Rim sells the PBs for nothing now only because it was a fiasco.
- 01-19-2013, 04:13 PM #149
Re: Would you pay RIM for BB10 OS upgrade on your PlayBook?
This was a hypothetical question. At least that's how I was taking it.Phone too slow? Then you need Flow.
The World's Most Fabulous Crack-Droid!
- 01-21-2013, 11:40 AM #150
I was a loooongtime BB user, that finally jumped ship after my contract ran out with my 9650. I loved my BBs, but the fact that the functionality was lacking compared to other platforms was what finally ran me off. (Forgetting about the constant lagging/freezing/battery pulls.) I bought a PB when they hit $149, based on the promise of BB10 being implemented on the device.
I'm sure I'm not alone in that scenario...I'm sure that there are others who were die-hard BB fans that left for one reason or another, and were drawn back in based on the PB's eventual price point and promised BB10 compatibility. And now, with my contract nearing it's end again, the PB running BB10 would be my testing board for possibly getting a BB10 phone. If the features and functionality on the PB is a step up from OS6, I will surely get a BB10 phone.
Like others have stated, BB10 on the PB is worth more in marketing by word of mouth by being free than they could ever hope to make up by charging an upgrade fee. I know this is the claim, and it's definitely the right way to go.