Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,676 Global Posts

Default Re: Would you pay RIM for BB10 OS upgrade on your PlayBook?

I don't know why we are discussing this. BB10 will either be released for the Playbook free, or not released for the Playbook at all.
    Economics wise they will not charge for the upgrade.
    Given that there are 2 Million Playbooks out there, and they charged $20 for an upgrade.(both of which are high estimates) They will make $40 Million dollars. Which is chump change, and not worth the bad publicity they would get for charging for an upgrade.
    Logistics wise, it also makes no sense, how and where would they collect the charges. They can't put the update on App World, thats not how the content server was designed for. And similar to how we can download the OS upgrade, and share the files with other people right now because the OS file is universal, what is stopping people from doing that in the future?
    Incremental wise, BB10 for the Playbook will most definitely be an incremental update in terms of of the UI and app modules. The current BB10 UI is simply not matched for the Playbook. Can you imagine trying to swipe up and right to access your emails on a screen that is over 3x larger than the BB10 phones?
    RIM has never charged for consumer operating system upgrades, and as long as they are in the handset business, they won't charge for an upgrade to a device that we have purchased.

End of Story.
    Time Lord

Global Posts
    10,334 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by joshua_sx1 View Post
    RE: Would you pay RIM for BB10 OS upgrade on your PlayBook?

iSheep: "No way!... regardless of what!"

BlackSheep: "Of course!... regardless of what"

IndieSheep: "...depends..."
    Didn't Apple used to charge for OS updates once upon a time?
    “There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”

[ Mobile Nations Sites: Android, iOS, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, Smartwatch Fans]
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    873 Global Posts

Ios dont, android dont. It would be the kiss of death for RIM, so it is highly unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Bla1ze View Post
    Didn't Apple used to charge for OS updates once upon a time?
    I remember having to pay something like $20 to update the OS on my old1st gen iPod touch so that it could get Mail, Maps, Weather, Notes and Stocks. Successive updates were free though. Looking back, it's hard to imagine an iOS device not having those apps...
    Retired: 8703, 8130, 8330, 9630, 9800, 9900, PlayBook
    Current: Z10, Nexus 5, iPad mini retina, Nexus 7
    CrackBerry Abuser

Yes if $ 40 bring me a totally new 10PB it would be a great deal.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chaosdivine View Post
    My questions to you are: Suppose it did come to the PB, but only as a paid OS upgrade, how much would you be willing to pay for it to bring your PlayBook OS from 2.x up to BB10? Also, would you be upset that the OS would not be free?
    I would not pay for release OS10.0.x, I might pay for release OS10.1. BB10 initial release might be great but like most initial releases, it will have some "unplanned features". Their severity will likely spur the first earlier than planned upgrade.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MoolahMitch View Post
    I for one would pay if they decided to charge but still be disappointed if they did.
    Research In Motion should be paying BlackBerry Tablet users whom were early adopters. If they make us pay for BlackBerry OS 10, the burning torches and pitchforks will come out.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ryacht View Post
    Given the low price I paid for it, I'd pay a small fee for upgrade - AND IF IT HELPS for a perfect update version, excellent support afterwards and ongoing fast bugfix-versions to eliminate bugs appearing at real life use.

Ray
    The problem is the track record Research In Motion has in regards to timely updates and delivering a perfect software release is abysmal to say the least. The BlackBerry PlayBook development seems to be inept interns except many of the development team members are well-paid, allegedly experienced software engineers and programmers. The corporate culture remains out of touch with reality. Thorsten talks a good game but under his watch as Chief Executive Officer we have borne witness to multiple delays affecting current BlackBerry PlayBook users as well as the announced BlackBerry 10 OS. The fact Thorsten was in a senior management role overseeing BlackBerry PlayBook prior to his appointment as CEO should not be forgotten. If RIM drops the ball in 1Q2013 the rumours of death will not have been exaggerated.
    chaosdivine likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by melb_me View Post
    I suspect BB10 WILL be available for playbook. I also suspect that is why there is no 2.1 upgrade. They are keeping the features that would be available in 2.1 for the BB10 release.
    BlackBerry Tablet OS 2.1 has been released yet the features do not hint at anything new in BlackBerry 10.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kevinnugent View Post
    Have you ever seen or heard a direct answer to a direct question from these guys? It's like trying to round up cats.
    Rounding up cats is surprisingly easy when you shake a bag of Temptations Treats. Getting a straight answer from Research In Motion's talking heads, not so much.
    chaosdivine likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Default pay for upgrade

NO!
    ... will sell it and then say goodbye to Blackberry forever
    ...sadly
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,023 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBerry Guy View Post
    I remember having to pay something like $20 to update the OS on my old1st gen iPod touch so that it could get Mail, Maps, Weather, Notes and Stocks. Successive updates were free though. Looking back, it's hard to imagine an iOS device not having those apps...
    No you don't, apple only sold mobile me subscriptions
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,237 Global Posts
    PIN
    330c56f6

I've bought significantly stupider things in my life, ie a pair of 420$ sunglasses. So paying for a software upgrade wouldn't bug me. If I had an ipod touch I probably would by that update. But I don't. Paying wouldn't be that big of a deal. PLUS not like they are getting paid for service via bis or bes. So if it was 10$ or less I would without question. Maybe even 20$
    CrackBerry Addict

What is this, console gaming where you get your pocket lifted on the regular with DLC?

No, no and no.
    CrackBerry User

no... paid full price for my first playbook the week it came out..
    Playbook x2
    Transformer tf101 tf300
    Ipad 2 3
    Nexus 7
    various e-readers
    CrackBerry Genius

NO

RIM has stated in the past that the PlayBook would get BB10 and they made no mention of additional cost. Personally while I think the PlayBook OS is better than anything else I've used, ther are many apps that are way to basic (like email) that I feel we should not have had to wait so long to see the polished up.

Not sure how anyone used te PlayBook before it got email... but those that paid full price, only to see huge discounts a few months later should really not have to pay for any upgrades.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    32FE97BA

Default Would you pay RIM for BB10 OS upgrade on your PlayBook?

No. I bought my PB at full price on release. With RIM selling them so cheap now I think they can afford to throw me a BB10 update for free.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,180 Global Posts

no!. . .
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    PIN
    Yup I like you too...

I would sell my playbook (or at least try) instantly
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    271 Global Posts

Seriously?

No way. Never. Ever.
    CrackBerry Master

This thread is still going on BB10 will be FREE when released for the playbook, end of story...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Absolutely not. They've never provided a fully functioning OS - look at the crappy email application currently being used (no full IMAP support). They owe me a refund as far as I can see. So, if my PB battery is still functional when BB10 arrives, it had better be free. Otherwise, Nexus 7 (or it's implementation at that time) here I come.
    CrackBerry Master

They playbook OS was never the final version. Owe you a refund give me a break, where else can you get a powerful hardware packed tablet for under $150? Maybe you should just go to android so we don't hear you whine.

Use a Real email provider imap works fine..
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

This thread gets people so worked up. Relax folks, it was just an innocent question. It didn't come from RIM. There's no reason to think they would do this.
    They talk about me like a dog, talkin' about the clothes I wear
    But they don't realize they're the ones who's square.
    CrackBerry User

I'd happily pay for the upgrade. I don't expect my computer operating system to be upgraded for free and I see my playbook as a laptop substitute so why not? However, saying that, I didn't pay for my copy of windows 7 because I saw it as my compensation for vista [which I paid full price for]. I know some will feel the same about the playbook, especially if they've had it since it's release.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast