Would you pay RIM for BB10 OS upgrade on your PlayBook?
It's no secret that RIM has had it a bit tough financially this last year but seem to be on the verge of turning a new chapter in their history thanks to BB10. We saw yesterday that RIM seems to still be on track for a Q1 2013 BB10 release with their new phones. We also know that they have been holding a firesale on their PlayBook tablets and the user base has grown rapidly as a result of the insanely cheap prices (myself included).
Now, we have heard before that they said BB10 will come to the PlayBook sometime in 2013 and we are making an assumption that they'll indeed keep their promise. Lets say that they do deliver the OS to the PB's but only in the form of a paid OS upgrade instead of a free upgrade.
My questions to you are: Suppose it did come to the PB, but only as a paid OS upgrade, how much would you be willing to pay for it to bring your PlayBook OS from 2.x up to BB10? Also, would you be upset that the OS would not be free?
I myself would be disappointed the OS upgrade would not be free, but I would also understand the considerable investment RIM has made in the new OS and that they've had a pretty lean last couple of years as a result. I would still want it on my PlayBook and be willing to pay ~$40-50 for the right to the new OS on my tablet. It would give RIM cash in their coffers and me a new lease on the life of the tablet with all the goodies BB10 brings.
Last edited by chaosdivine; 09-26-12 at 12:13 PM.
- 09-26-12, 12:26 PM #3
I would be very disappointed, and would actually consider not paying as a form of protest. If no one bought it, they'd get the hint.
Plus, we're bound to be able to get it free "somehow" (not that I condone piracy of any form, just saying it would be foolish to make us pay when someone could mirror the files for others to install via Dingleberry. I wouldn't do that personally, but I would be less opposed to it than some other forms of piracy).
- 09-26-12, 12:31 PM #4
Don't know if I'd pay. I have 5 PlayBooks, so it would add up.
BB10 on the PB would be a marketing tool for RIM. They already have 2 or 3 million devices out there that can run the OS and spread the word for them.
Many people bought the Playbook because it was so cheap but wouldn't think of buying a BB10 device. If RIM pushes BB10 into their hands and they are impressed, it could lead to sales.
- CrackBerry Addict
09-26-12, 12:37 PM #6
- 871 Posts
What happens to the current OS when 10 comes out?
If there are continued updates to the current for a good number of years - 5? then yes 10 could become a chargeable upgrade.
However doesn't 2.1 become 10? - ie no more 2.x updates? A product that becomes unsupported within 2 years wouldn't go down well would it?
You are forced (like we're not all waiting for it anyhow :-) ) to 10 to get fixes therefore it's a non starter
- 09-26-12, 12:50 PM #8
Yes and no. Since my current contract will still have several months to go when the BB10 devices come out I would hold off paying for BB10 on my PlayBook until I get a BB10 device. Who knows maybe by then it will be free. I bought my PlayBook 2 days after the release for full price. Look at the prices now.
- 09-26-12, 12:53 PM #10
Honestly, I would consider dropping the PB and trying to find something else out there that could fill the gap. For me as an early adopter, it would feel like a kick in the teeth if they stopped supporting the current PBOS and then charged for a BB10 OS. I wouldn't feel so strongly if I was given the choice (stick with PBOS that is still supported or pay for the upgrade to BB10) and would likely pay for the upgrade, but if they forced it down my throat that way, I would be pretty peeved that I suppported the pb platform from day 1 and was treated like that in turn. There has to be some customer loyalty...I get that it's a business, but if you don't treat your customers right, they go to someone who will... IMO, that's one of the things that put RIM so behind everyone else, not treating customers right by not listening or trying to give them what they want...just my thoughts.
- 09-26-12, 12:56 PM #12
On second thought I could pay them like the release upgrades.
Promise to pay then tell some stuff and continue to move payment back.
Then when they get mad because of slow payment I will send a picture of a check written to them for full payment and call it a BETA Version.
- 09-26-12, 01:03 PM #15
I know this is hypothetical, but there's no way this scenario would ever play out...it would be suicide for RIM (who's already on their deathbed trying out some experimental medicine in the hopes to recover).
When BB10 comes out, the appropriate update for the PB will be released the same as all of the previous updates...from a business standpoint, it doesn't even make sense to try and support 2 different OS's, anyway. They'd just assume forget about the debacle of the PBOS 1 and 2, and move everyone into the 'new' - any revenue they might make by charging for the upgrade, they'll make up, and some, via positive experiences and reviews with BB10.
- 09-26-12, 01:26 PM #19
Nope. Never complained about paying more for mine than a lot of people here. Make me pay for an update that has been said many times will be on my device and I will start complaining about paying more for mine than a lot on here.
Do iOS users pay for OS updates? How about android users?
- 09-26-12, 01:49 PM #22
- 09-26-12, 02:04 PM #24
Hope they don't charge.. But I wouldn't mind paying if it is a decent price..
anyway the people who got it at dirt cheap prices don't really get to complain.. only other quality tablet going for lower would be the touchpad..
Well Apple charged ipod touch users for major update releases..
and well most android users never end up getting major releases..so no subject of charging.. most are still stuck at 2.x.. when I say most I'm not talking bout galaxy s3 users..
Not that I want RIM to charge..
- 09-26-12, 02:29 PM #25
So you are seriously asking if we would 'pay' for an upgraded operating system when they still have bugs in the orginal o/s......You would think they would deliver a stable product First!
wow all this waiting for an o/s upgrade has turned your brain to mush... next thing we'll be asking if we can all chip in a couple of dollars to help RIM finish it.
How much would you pay RIM for a 'Tablet'....
oh sorry...you've already done that.....