A BIG NO!!!

Unless RIM lost their mind, they will not do that.

Tell me which tablet or smart phone on the market charges for OS upgrade?
    12-12-12 04:14 PM
    A BIG NO!!!

Unless RIM lost their mind, they will not do that.

Tell me which tablet or smart phone on the market charges for OS upgrade?
    Not sure if that's rhetorical.

But the last time I had to pay for a software update, was a couple of years back with an (original) iPod touch. Didn't sit right with me, but was / is my wifes' so wanted it reasonably up-to-date. Don't know if Apple still do that sort of thing, but that's the only instance I've ever encountered where certain software updates were chargeable (well outside of true computer updates / new OS releases).
    12-13-12 04:03 AM
    Agreed, BB10 is definitely an upgrade worth more than any of the "Apps" that I have purchased. I would say US$25 to US$50 would be acceptable.
    12-15-12 09:28 AM
    PS - by comparison Windows 8 is now US$40 even from old XP OS base.
    12-15-12 09:29 AM
    No. I kind of bought the Playbook out of charity in the first place.

"Please pay $x for an upgrade to a failed product that you have all been basically unpaid beta-testers for!"

Yeah right.
    phylez likes this.
    12-15-12 10:11 AM
    I really doubt they would charge for it. Like some have said, they pushed the PlayBook to get QNX in the hands of consumers. Putting it out for free is is great advertising for the phones. I wouldn't want to pay for it.

James
    TomJasper likes this.
    12-15-12 11:50 AM
    I'd happily pay for the upgrade. I don't expect my computer operating system to be upgraded for free and I see my playbook as a laptop substitute so why not? However, saying that, I didn't pay for my copy of windows 7 because I saw it as my compensation for vista [which I paid full price for]. I know some will feel the same about the playbook, especially if they've had it since it's release.
    At old days, we pay for OS upgrade because OS is the final product that vendor get paid. However, for Tablet OS and most likely some future computer OS, they are built as a vendor machine. Vendors get paid on every applications that you purchase thru this Vendor Machine (AppStore/AppWorld etc) in indefinitely, and some cases, there will be commercials to be pushed to your devices as well, and they make money on that as well.

As an results, consumer will no longer need to pay OS upgrades, because no one wants to pay for an vendor machine's upgrade.
    12-17-12 04:19 PM
    I would pay $40.00 .I bought a playbook with older software , why should I expect the R&D for the new software for free? Plus , it would be a choice whether I upgraded or not ,not like I was forced to .
    12-17-12 08:58 PM
    Anyone who bought the PlayBook for its 500-700 dollar price tag and endured the broken promises , Im sure would feel smacked in the face if BB10 was a paid upgrade. For those who bought the tablet for 129 to 200 probably wouldn't care as much

With that being said, BlackBerry10 OS will be a FREE upgrade.
    TomJasper and rcab like this.
    12-17-12 09:35 PM
    I paid full retail for my 64gig PB, in a word, MFW!
    12-17-12 10:36 PM
    I would pay $40.00 .I bought a playbook with older software , why should I expect the R&D for the new software for free? Plus , it would be a choice whether I upgraded or not ,not like I was forced to .
    Simple. Research In Motion released the BlackBerry PlayBook feature incomplete and worse with repeated promises of the missing pieces "soon" or "within 60 days." Remember? I do. The only thing RIM did right was release BlackBerry Bridge within the first 30 days; this allowed us to overcome some of the limitations of the then current BlackBerry Tablet OS 1.x.
    12-17-12 11:10 PM
    PS - by comparison Windows 8 is now US$40 even from old XP OS base.
    Yebbut, even as being MS-MVP and an MCP and normally a big MS fan, Windows 8 is horrible. It may work fine for the tablets/touch screens etc but for normal PC's and laptops it's just horrible, however once I installed Classic Shell (which is free woo hooo ) it was very useable again !! Welcome to Classic Shell
    12-18-12 06:24 AM
    Is the current Playbook powerful enough to handle BB10?
    My wife was told the other day at Staples that the reason they are hot selling all Playbooks at fire bargains is because a new BB10 Playbook with more powerful processor will be introduced mid-2013....
    12-18-12 06:32 AM
    Anyone who bought the PlayBook for its 500-700 dollar price tag and endured the broken promises , Im sure would feel smacked in the face if BB10 was a paid upgrade. For those who bought the tablet for 129 to 200 probably wouldn't care as much

With that being said, BlackBerry10 OS will be a FREE upgrade.
    Agreed from one who purchased at the original price with less than business app capabilities. I am sure the phone will cost plenty but I can't see paying to upgrade my tablet at this time.
    12-18-12 08:57 AM
    Simply put, absolutely not. It almost sounds like a trial balloon being floated by RIM. Let's see what people say on a friendly website....
    The Playbook was brought out before it was ready with promises of getting better soon. It did improve, not perfect but certainly better. Then the lack of price integrity frustrated many, especially early adopters who are the most loyal fans. To then turn around and slap people with an upgrade cost would give millions the final straw to move on to other options. Can you imagine the outrage if people are told they have to pay for an upgrade to properly link their Playbooks to their newly purchased BB10 phone?

It wouldn't matter the amount of the charge, any would be too much. The negative spin created by an upgrade charge would make a black hole look tame.
    TomJasper likes this.
    12-18-12 10:02 AM
    I most certainly would. BB10 is gonna be super awesome. I must say overall I'm just happy that my Playbook will run BB10. I truly wonder what its going to look like on my PB.
    12-18-12 11:24 AM
    I have several Playbooks and if the upgrade was cheap ( $10 - $20 ) I would pay, they need to make some money too. With that being said;

1: I don't think they would do that? Does Apple or Google make the user pay for O/S upgrades?

2: Getting BB10 on the PB for free would aide in the marketing of the BB10 phones.

-Jeff
    12-20-12 08:50 AM
    The BB10 upgrade on the Playbook will be free and I'm sure the reasoning behind that will be Blackberry thanking us Playbook owners for sticking with Blackberry Playbook from inception and spreading the Blackberry name. Smart Thor will never bite the hand that feeds, I'm 110% sure of that.
    12-20-12 09:19 AM
    think RIM really needs as many BB10 numbers as they can get to attract developers, so even the 2 million or so PlayBooks updating to BB10 would be a big boost for them.
    12-20-12 09:30 AM
    I would be pretty ticked off if I had to pay. I paid full price for my PB 64 the day it was released. Considering what they cost now, I think I have already paid my extra.
    rcab likes this.
    12-26-12 02:59 PM
    Yebbut, even as being MS-MVP and an MCP and normally a big MS fan, Windows 8 is horrible. It may work fine for the tablets/touch screens etc but for normal PC's and laptops it's just horrible, however once I installed Classic Shell (which is free woo hooo ) it was very useable again !! Welcome to Classic Shell
    Our development lab had to buy Windows 8 machines for testing....asked if anyone wanted to use them as their main laptop and everyone ran for the door ; ) What a POS OS for a computer that has a mouse...

However, loving my new 64Gb at $149!
    12-26-12 04:37 PM
    I would not pay at all. RIM needs to give it free to make up for the short falls of the PB, Honestly, its not looking to goo d right no for BB10. I wouldnt pay for something that RIM cant prove will work,. They just dont have the track record
    12-27-12 05:11 PM
    I won't even update my BlackBerry PlayBook to BlackBerry OS 10 until the applications that I have come to reply upon are available. I have a small cadre of high-quality applications running on my BlackBerry PlayBooks and will not downgrade my experience for a new tablet UI unless those applications are available in BlackBerry AppWorld. I will pay a upgrade fee for those applications if necessary but never pay another penny to Research In Motion for an update to the BlackBerry Tablet OS / BlackBerry OS 10.
    12-27-12 08:19 PM
    No. I kind of bought the Playbook out of charity in the first place.

"Please pay $x for an upgrade to a failed product that you have all been basically unpaid beta-testers for!"

Yeah right.
    12-27-12 10:23 PM
    i will but not over 10 bucks.
    12-28-12 02:40 AM
161 ... 34567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD