It's no secret that RIM has had it a bit tough financially this last year but seem to be on the verge of turning a new chapter in their history thanks to BB10. We saw yesterday that RIM seems to still be on track for a Q1 2013 BB10 release with their new phones. We also know that they have been holding a firesale on their PlayBook tablets and the user base has grown rapidly as a result of the insanely cheap prices (myself included).

Now, we have heard before that they said BB10 will come to the PlayBook sometime in 2013 and we are making an assumption that they'll indeed keep their promise. Lets say that they do deliver the OS to the PB's but only in the form of a paid OS upgrade instead of a free upgrade.

My questions to you are: Suppose it did come to the PB, but only as a paid OS upgrade, how much would you be willing to pay for it to bring your PlayBook OS from 2.x up to BB10? Also, would you be upset that the OS would not be free?

I myself would be disappointed the OS upgrade would not be free, but I would also understand the considerable investment RIM has made in the new OS and that they've had a pretty lean last couple of years as a result. I would still want it on my PlayBook and be willing to pay ~$40-50 for the right to the new OS on my tablet. It would give RIM cash in their coffers and me a new lease on the life of the tablet with all the goodies BB10 brings.
    Last edited by chaosdivine; 09-26-12 at 12:13 PM.
    09-26-12 12:07 PM
    I for one would pay if they decided to charge but still be disappointed if they did.
    phylez likes this.
    09-26-12 12:21 PM
    I would be very disappointed, and would actually consider not paying as a form of protest. If no one bought it, they'd get the hint.

Plus, we're bound to be able to get it free "somehow" (not that I condone piracy of any form, just saying it would be foolish to make us pay when someone could mirror the files for others to install via Dingleberry. I wouldn't do that personally, but I would be less opposed to it than some other forms of piracy).
    09-26-12 12:26 PM
    Don't know if I'd pay. I have 5 PlayBooks, so it would add up.

BB10 on the PB would be a marketing tool for RIM. They already have 2 or 3 million devices out there that can run the OS and spread the word for them.

Many people bought the Playbook because it was so cheap but wouldn't think of buying a BB10 device. If RIM pushes BB10 into their hands and they are impressed, it could lead to sales.
    09-26-12 12:31 PM
    This happens everyday in the PC / Mac world... It would be dissapointing, but I for one would pay a nominal fee!!
    09-26-12 12:32 PM
    No

What happens to the current OS when 10 comes out?

If there are continued updates to the current for a good number of years - 5? then yes 10 could become a chargeable upgrade.

However doesn't 2.1 become 10? - ie no more 2.x updates? A product that becomes unsupported within 2 years wouldn't go down well would it?

You are forced (like we're not all waiting for it anyhow :-) ) to 10 to get fixes therefore it's a non starter
    masqueofhastur likes this.
    09-26-12 12:37 PM
    Depends on how much and if they include BBM as an extra for free use as well, also it would have to be a one off upgrade fee with updates FOC.
    09-26-12 12:47 PM
    Yes and no. Since my current contract will still have several months to go when the BB10 devices come out I would hold off paying for BB10 on my PlayBook until I get a BB10 device. Who knows maybe by then it will be free. I bought my PlayBook 2 days after the release for full price. Look at the prices now.
    09-26-12 12:50 PM
    Perhaps we could just pass a hat and take up a collection for RIM...
    09-26-12 12:53 PM
    Honestly, I would consider dropping the PB and trying to find something else out there that could fill the gap. For me as an early adopter, it would feel like a kick in the teeth if they stopped supporting the current PBOS and then charged for a BB10 OS. I wouldn't feel so strongly if I was given the choice (stick with PBOS that is still supported or pay for the upgrade to BB10) and would likely pay for the upgrade, but if they forced it down my throat that way, I would be pretty peeved that I suppported the pb platform from day 1 and was treated like that in turn. There has to be some customer loyalty...I get that it's a business, but if you don't treat your customers right, they go to someone who will... IMO, that's one of the things that put RIM so behind everyone else, not treating customers right by not listening or trying to give them what they want...just my thoughts.
    masqueofhastur, xantius and T-Raww like this.
    09-26-12 12:53 PM
    That would be the behavior I would expect out of Microsoft not RIM.
    No way I would pay. No matter what the cost.
    T-Raww likes this.
    09-26-12 12:54 PM
    On second thought I could pay them like the release upgrades.
    Promise to pay then tell some stuff and continue to move payment back.
    Then when they get mad because of slow payment I will send a picture of a check written to them for full payment and call it a BETA Version.
    balding1, clowrym, nnomad and 13 others like this.
    09-26-12 12:56 PM
    I'd be disapointed in RIM, but would likely pay a reasonable price ($10?)
    09-26-12 01:00 PM
    the check's in the mail
    madman0141 and NightSlayer like this.
    09-26-12 01:02 PM
    I know this is hypothetical, but there's no way this scenario would ever play out...it would be suicide for RIM (who's already on their deathbed trying out some experimental medicine in the hopes to recover).

When BB10 comes out, the appropriate update for the PB will be released the same as all of the previous updates...from a business standpoint, it doesn't even make sense to try and support 2 different OS's, anyway. They'd just assume forget about the debacle of the PBOS 1 and 2, and move everyone into the 'new' - any revenue they might make by charging for the upgrade, they'll make up, and some, via positive experiences and reviews with BB10.
    CairnsRock likes this.
    09-26-12 01:03 PM
    check written to them for full payment and call it a BETA Version.
    thats hilarious!!!
    madman0141 likes this.
    09-26-12 01:05 PM
    SHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhh...

Why even put the idea into RIM's head, we pay for enough already.
    BSFA2008 likes this.
    09-26-12 01:10 PM
    I would be very disappointed and would move to android or apple
    09-26-12 01:12 PM
    Nope. Never complained about paying more for mine than a lot of people here. Make me pay for an update that has been said many times will be on my device and I will start complaining about paying more for mine than a lot on here.

Do iOS users pay for OS updates? How about android users?
    balding1 likes this.
    09-26-12 01:26 PM
    First I have to order new checks because mine expire 2012.
    Next batch I order will be open ended.
    Just thinking maybe will be cheaper to buy a new PB than donate a few bucks for upgrade.lol
    Last edited by balding1; 09-26-12 at 01:43 PM.
    09-26-12 01:31 PM
    Id agree to pay and tell RIM that the check is coming...."SOON"
    09-26-12 01:39 PM
    First I have to order new checks because mine expire 2012.
    Next batch I order will be open ended.
    Just thinking maybe will be cheaper to buy a new PB than donate a few bucks for upgrade.lol
    Your probably right about buying a new one. Heck I paid like $700 for my 64 when it came out and now for that same $700 I can buy over 100 shares of RIM. No get me wrong I love my PlayBook and I love that others are getting the same enjoyment even if it costs a lot less.
    Bobert_123 likes this.
    09-26-12 01:49 PM
    I'd say, we pay for the OS (maybe $10) and we can select 3 (normaly paid) apps from the appworld.
    Alphax45 and maddspt like this.
    09-26-12 01:50 PM
    Hope they don't charge.. But I wouldn't mind paying if it is a decent price..
    anyway the people who got it at dirt cheap prices don't really get to complain.. only other quality tablet going for lower would be the touchpad..

Do iOS users pay for OS updates? How about android users?

Well Apple charged ipod touch users for major update releases..
    and well most android users never end up getting major releases..so no subject of charging.. most are still stuck at 2.x.. when I say most I'm not talking bout galaxy s3 users..

Not that I want RIM to charge..
    Alphax45 and kbz1960 like this.
    09-26-12 02:04 PM
    It's no secret that RIM has had it a bit tough financially this last year but seem to be on the verge of turning a new chapter in their history thanks to BB10. We saw yesterday that RIM seems to still be on track for a Q1 2013 BB10 release with their new phones. We also know that they have been holding a firesale on their PlayBook tablets and the user base has grown rapidly as a result of the insanely cheap prices (myself included).

Now, we have heard before that they said BB10 will come to the PlayBook sometime in 2013 and we are making an assumption that they'll indeed keep their promise. Lets say that they do deliver the OS to the PB's but only in the form of a paid OS upgrade instead of a free upgrade.

My questions to you are: Suppose it did come to the PB, but only as a paid OS upgrade, how much would you be willing to pay for it to bring your PlayBook OS from 2.x up to BB10? Also, would you be upset that the OS would not be free?

I myself would be disappointed the OS upgrade would not be free, but I would also understand the considerable investment RIM has made in the new OS and that they've had a pretty lean last couple of years as a result. I would still want it on my PlayBook and be willing to pay ~$40-50 for the right to the new OS on my tablet. It would give RIM cash in their coffers and me a new lease on the life of the tablet with all the goodies BB10 brings.
    lol....fck no

So you are seriously asking if we would 'pay' for an upgraded operating system when they still have bugs in the orginal o/s......You would think they would deliver a stable product First!

wow all this waiting for an o/s upgrade has turned your brain to mush... next thing we'll be asking if we can all chip in a couple of dollars to help RIM finish it.

How much would you pay RIM for a 'Tablet'....

oh sorry...you've already done that.....
    09-26-12 02:29 PM
161 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD