the release is most likely three weeks away, if they are speculating the release date, the might be testing the the release candidate.
    01-30-12 01:43 PM
    There will probably be some videos from BlackBerry DevCon Europe, which is next week. We'll be there.
    BaconMunch likes this.
    01-30-12 03:53 PM
    What better way to kick off devcon europe than releasing OS 2.0??
    So excitez!
    01-30-12 09:55 PM
    So excitez!
    Won't happen. RIM asked devs to submit updated apps for OS 2.0 by February 7th. RIM's standard turnaround to review an approve an app is 10 days. That makes February 17th, or a week after Devcon, the very earliest it could be released.
    01-30-12 10:54 PM
    The absolute blackout and silence regarding the state OS 2 is in, at this point so close to their release timeframe, should start raising up the alert flags.
    01-31-12 05:31 AM
    Won't happen. RIM asked devs to submit updated apps for OS 2.0 by February 7th. RIM's standard turnaround to review an approve an app is 10 days. That makes February 17th, or a week after Devcon, the very earliest it could be released.
    I guess they want the apps to be there when the OS is released? Otherwise the apps have nothing to do with the OS.
    01-31-12 06:22 AM
    The absolute blackout and silence regarding the state OS 2 is in, at this point so close to their release timeframe, should start raising up the alert flags.
    blackbout and silence?? They just showed it off at CES. Alec Saunders was tweeting about a new build yesterday.
    aminrajabi and peter9477 like this.
    01-31-12 06:51 AM
    There will probably be some videos from BlackBerry DevCon Europe, which is next week. We'll be there.
    So will I ...
    01-31-12 06:58 AM
    I highly doubt the reason for release date is because they are waiting for 3rd party apps, they have enough features to showcase in their 2.0 debut, and some great 3rd party apps a week after release would show good flow and re enforce greatness. Good theory though.

Also, as mentioned, Feb 17th has been a rumor for quite sometime, given RIM track record you'd think they confirm or deny by now.
    01-31-12 07:23 AM
    I guess they want the apps to be there when the OS is released? Otherwise the apps have nothing to do with the OS.
    Apps aren't a pre-req for the OS. But if they were planning to release Feb 1 they would have told devs to submit by January 20th. The fact they told us Feb 7th is enough time for apps to be reviewed and published before OS 2.0 launch is a pretty strong sign.
    01-31-12 01:23 PM
    yeah, it seems to me that it a sign that OS 2.0 will be on track for feb release. that'd probably put the release date at around 17th or 21st feb. but hey, as long as i know it will definitely be out in feb, a few days or a week more of waiting doesnt matter to me.
    01-31-12 05:16 PM
    So excitez!
    That really would be exciting, but I don't think it'll happen, either.
    If they do, they might be distracted with issues and not be able to focus on the show.
    Besides, it's good advertising time to boost the anticipation level...
    01-31-12 07:27 PM
    Interesting video from the FT on RIM's turnaround / hurdles. They note that RIM has only previewed 60% of the features of the Playbook 2.0, which leaves you wondering about the 40% surprise. I'm tagged as a "newbie" so can't post links - you will have to lookup.

History is stacked against RIM (ft.com)

Jan 30 2012 There are more examples of technology companies that fell from greatness than of successful turnrounds, says Andrew Edgecliffe-Johnson, FT media editor. But he says despite the odds against Research in Motion and its new head Thorsten Heins, the market will reward innovation (3m 32sec)
    01-31-12 07:35 PM
    The video is Heins aims for BlackBerry turnround, not break-up - FT.com .

I think the comment was referring to BB10 though. Saying that OS 2.0 still isn't where BB10 will be when it's released later this year, which should be obvious given its lack of BBM, etc.
    02-01-12 04:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD