It seems that unless you are a Berrygeek it's not a good idea to upgrade right now. I can't believe all the threads here where people are trying to de-install it and are running in to problems. My PB is working just fine and unless I start to see a change in the posts about 2.1 I'll be waiting for the official release. What is so great about 2.1 anyway?
    06-18-12 01:21 AM
    There is a whole thread on the advantages of 2.1. But in my mind the prime advantage is the ability to run multiple android apps simultaneously, plus the fact that the android player runs much more stable. It no longer freezes up, which used to require a reboot to fix. Further some apps, Google Maps being a prime example, would often crash before. No more. In addition, the android player now has access to the PB camera, meaning some android apps that need camera access now can at least potentially work.

Some like that the Messages app can now be used in portrait mode- though that's not too important to me. Remember, that people tend to post to report problems. They generally don't post to say everything is OK, and I think that most are not experiencing significant problems. Remember also, that if you choose to update, do a full backup beforehand.
    Last edited by pacoman03; 06-18-12 at 01:46 AM.
    06-18-12 01:43 AM
    The only downside I've noticed is a small keyboard lag sometimes. Otherwise, the 2.1 beta is quite nice. I love the way you can load multiple Android apps. Almost feels like you're using native applications! And the multi-tasking with gestures is probably one of my favorite features of this OS.
    Sucroid likes this.
    06-18-12 02:10 AM
    There is a whole thread on the advantages of 2.1. But in my mind the prime advantage is the ability to run multiple android apps simultaneously, plus the fact that the android player runs much more stable. It no longer freezes up, which used to require a reboot to fix. Further some apps, Google Maps being a prime example, would often crash before. No more. In addition, the android player now has access to the PB camera, meaning some android apps that need camera access now can at least potentially work.

Some like that the Messages app can now be used in portrait mode- though that's not too important to me. Remember, that people tend to post to report problems. They generally don't post to say everything is OK, and I think that most are not experiencing significant problems. Remember also, that if you choose to update, do a full backup beforehand.
    I just un-sideload (un-install) the core apps ( like android player ) and reinstall the 2.1 beta one ! Because of that I run the Core 2.0.1.358, with 2.1 components. For example; I have the 'new' keyboard on .358 and the new browser + android player
    06-18-12 04:55 AM
    Are you not going to update when it is official also?
    06-18-12 05:36 AM
    Is 2.1 a DEVELOPERS' Beta? I stay away from the beta OSes RIM releases for the PB. What I observe is most people who complain about the issues of 2.1 are not developers.
    Barljo likes this.
    06-18-12 06:46 AM
    Is 2.1 a DEVELOPERS' Beta? I stay away from the beta OSes RIM releases for the PB. What I observe is most people who complain about the issues of 2.1 are not developers.
    +1 for you !
    06-18-12 11:00 AM
    I stay away from "beta" of any platform letting the dev'techies use it and (hopefully) point out to the maunfacturer what seemingly needs code fixed so in the some timeline it will be mainly bug-free for a general roll-out to general users such as myself !
    06-18-12 11:25 AM
    If rumor is true the production version 2.1 will be available next month. It's not a long wait.
    06-18-12 11:31 AM
    For me, 2.1 has been a revelation. The capability to run multiple android apps seamlessly, with good performance and reliability has really opened up the PB's potential. I find I'm using apps like taptalk and google maps more and more now since they just work. No more lockups of the player. No more rebooting to unfreeze the VM. If RIM had shipped 2.1 with the original launch hardware we'd be discussing the PB's dominance of the business tablet sector by now.
    RCK
    Last edited by rkennedy01; 06-18-12 at 12:20 PM.
    Cracklen likes this.
    06-18-12 12:18 PM
    I had used OS 2.1 for a few hours ... As a DEV (like me) it is just good enough for Developement. But for Developement + Private use it just sucks hard !

The 'swipemenu.js' doesn't even work with 2.1 ... I had used that component for one simple reason ; Simple interface.
    Because of that, I had to start from scratch, and use 'bbui.js' . (Though, the bbui.js looks better )
    06-18-12 12:43 PM
    I have 3 android apps, so multitasking them isn't a huge deal for me. Is there anything else in the beta that a non-dev should consider?
    06-18-12 04:15 PM
    I just un-sideload (un-install) the core apps ( like android player ) and reinstall the 2.1 beta one ! Because of that I run the Core 2.0.1.358, with 2.1 components. For example; I have the 'new' keyboard on .358 and the new browser + android player
    care to share instructions how you unsideloaded 2.0.1 apps (browser/android) and sideloaded 2.1 android and browser. where did you find the bar files for browser and android?
    06-18-12 05:24 PM
    You need the offline files from .358 and 2.1
    With DDPB you can uninstall the browser and reinstall the 2.1 version.
    Some people say that it works, but some people say it doesnt work.

NOTE: UNINSTALL the APP, not REINSTALL! Then you cant use that APP anymore (double installation = crazy pb)
    06-19-12 12:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD