I don't get it.

All signs point to a 4:01am EST, Feb 21'st release. Why isn't RIM promoting this?

Enough of this timid stuff, sneaking products/upgrades out. Time to get loud with a capital "L" RIM.
    02-20-12 01:40 PM
    If it is released tomorrow morning, I'm going to light some fireworks!
    02-20-12 01:46 PM
    RIM will never put themselves in a position of promising a date and then missing(again), not gonna happen
    DAnklaud likes this.
    02-20-12 01:47 PM
    The exact time is not as important as actual release. All indications are for tomorrow. I do not care when it hits tomorrow because I will be rarin' to go!

This is actually kind of fun...anticipation and realization...kind of like a surprise party!!
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    02-20-12 01:48 PM
    Honestly, they dont have to. They announced "Feb 2012". With all the negative press in the past, the missed deadlines, and the delays, not releasing a specific date is smart IMO. Them letting info leak now to me shows it just may be tomorrow. What would honestly be the point of all the pomp and circumstance for something that should be the norm - on-time releases?
    Let the masses and media rejoice when its released on-time as promised and with the improvements made, let the double-takes begin!
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    02-20-12 02:02 PM
    Honestly, they dont have to. They announced "Feb 2012". With all the negative press in the past, the missed deadlines, and the delays, not releasing a specific date is smart IMO. Them letting info leak now to me shows it just may be tomorrow. What would honestly be the point of all the pomp and circumstance for something that should be the norm - on-time releases?
    Let the masses and media rejoice when its released on-time as promised and with the improvements made, let the double-takes begin!
    9of13,

I agree with you, that RIM shouldn't throw out random guesstimate dates months in advance. All it can do is cause problems.

But now, with ~12 hours to go, it's a big difference. They have still not officially announced the launch date of 2.0. What we know is the result of multiple leaks all pointing to the same date, Feb 21st. Assuming that the release is tomorrow, shouldn't they be officially announcing its availability?

Apple announced iOS5 8 days prior to its public availability (I'm not trolling, this is just the result of a quick search for an example):

Apple iOS 5, iCloud Coming October 12 | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
    flapadlr likes this.
    02-20-12 02:41 PM
    No, they announced "end of summer 2011", then "fall 2011", then "Feb 2012"- No wonder the stocks tanking...
    I gave up and bought a new Galaxy 7.0 plus tab and loving the FULL android platform. I still have a Bold, and 2 weeks to return this Sammy, but 2.0 better be legit!
    Last edited by That70sGAdawg; 02-20-12 at 10:11 PM.
    02-20-12 02:46 PM
    9of13,

I agree with you, that RIM shouldn't throw out random guesstimate dates months in advance. All it can do is cause problems.

But now, with ~12 hours to go, it's a big difference. They have still not officially announced the launch date of 2.0. What we know is the result of multiple leaks all pointing to the same date, Feb 21st. Assuming that the release is tomorrow, shouldn't they be officially announcing its availability?

Apple announced iOS5 8 days prior to its public availability (I'm not trolling, this is just the result of a quick search for an example):

Apple iOS 5, iCloud Coming October 12 | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
    Apple honestly doesnt have the bad rep when it comes to release dates. and any shortcomings get looked over with little or no media coverage.

No, they announced "end of summer 2011", then "fall 2011", then "Feb 2012"- No wonder the stocks tanking...
    I gave up and bought a new Galaxy 7.0 plus tab and loving the FULL android platform. I still have a Bold, but gave up on RIM for a tablet.
    I understand your frustration as many brought the PB when it was first released. But now with new leadership for the new year, this is make or break for them in some aspects. Not that they'll go under. it will take much more than the fallout of not releasing before March 1st. I didnt get mine till Christmas but i was envying all of you PB users despite its bad press. But as a BB user for 5 years. I know the frustration.
    I think tomorrow will be the beginning of a new era.
    And im not gonna lie, that Galaxy is official!
    But i NEED Bridge.
    02-20-12 03:07 PM
    They might change their mind. But consider the marketing that has been done toward the dealers, it should add importance to the scheduled roll out.
    02-20-12 04:02 PM
    People might want to consider that the reason there is no press is:

1) It is not coming out tomorrow; or
    2) RIM is not really planning on investing much in the platform moving forward and this release is to satisfy the existing customer base.
    02-20-12 04:52 PM

2) RIM is not really planning on investing much in the platform moving forward and this release is to satisfy the existing customer base.
    You don't read much around here, do you.
    02-20-12 05:03 PM

Your "1)" could very well be the case and them (leaking but) not announcing a specific date gives them until the end of the month before they can justifiably crucified for "being late"

But I would have to disagree with "2)" I highly suspect that we will see PlayBook updates for at least the rest of the year with an OS 3.0 coming out before 2013. I would also suspect that BB10 features may tested on playbook this spring/summer just as they are using the playbook to fill appworld as much as possible before any BB10 phones launch.

If BB10 is a hit for RIM I see them sticking with the playbook. If RIM fails to deliver to the Americans with BB10 maybe PlayBook gets forgotten about....

One thing I miss about Mike L is that I am pretty sure he would have ran RIM into the ground before admitting the PlayBook was a flop and canceling it.... Which as a PlayBook fan made my heart glow with joy
    02-20-12 05:14 PM
    I don't get it.

All signs point to a 4:01am EST, Feb 21'st release. Why isn't RIM promoting this?

Enough of this timid stuff, sneaking products/upgrades out. Time to get loud with a capital "L" RIM.
    RIM will probably have an official press release that the OS2 is now available for download on the morning of Feb 21. I guess they have a new policy of not announcing until it is already available.
    02-20-12 05:19 PM

1) Possible, but now extremely unlikely. BlackBerry Bridge v2.0.0.25 was just released.
    2) 100% disagree. RIM is throwing all of their eggs into the BB10 basket (which is exactly what they should do).
    02-20-12 06:09 PM
    Alec saunders just told someone on twitter to the question ; os 2 tommorrow ?

i cant tell you one way or another ... sorry
    02-20-12 06:12 PM
    Yes, because Apple and Google DO NOT make a big fuss when releasing major updates... :/ Lets be honest here, Apple paused the entire tech community when they added the breakthrough technology of "cut and paste" into iOS...
    02-20-12 06:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD