Haven't found anything to like so far. Email doesn't work and where are all these new apps that were promised?
    02-22-12 12:58 PM
    serious problem with app world. when i download and install an app. it shows up "installation error 0003-0005: there is a problem during installation.please try again." i just want playbook1.0's appworld back.
    02-22-12 01:22 PM
    Sorry I didn't mean to turn it into that, I have both and the playbook can't compete in any arena. (I take it back, the speakers on the playbook kill the ipad). I was just trying to get some info about how people use the playbook. And I feel like it's been nearly two or three years since I've been bothered by a flash problem on my ios device.

I know you think it's funny but iOS users don't have to use the browser and I was calling them out for the ubiquity of their apps. If you want more examples of the playbooks lacking apps how about shazam, pandora, Flickr, instagram, or even angry birds. Or should i use the browser for this too? Ok so there is angry birds but it's 500% more than its andriod and iOS counterparts.

There are more free apps on ios than there on the playbook in its entirety.

Thank you for your useful comment. I will look into it.

I too have both an iPad 2 and a PlayBook and I think there are areas where the iPad has a clear advantage and there are areas where the PlayBook has a clear advantage. I love the fact that when I don't have wi-fi available I can still use my PlayBook browser using my BlackBerry for free. I don't know what websites you use, but I have found many sites where the Safari browser will not work because of Flash. Not only does the PlayBook Browser handle Flash I find it to be faster than Safari.

Yes, there are many more apps for iPad - but it's been out much longer and has a much larger user base. Hopefully, more developers will bring their apps over to PlayBook. But why do I care about getting an Amazon or Ebay app when it works perfectly on the Browser just the same as on my laptop? And if you're mad about the price of Angry Birds complain to Rovio, not RIM. I'm sure that extra couple $ is really killing you.
    Syonoq likes this.
    02-22-12 01:37 PM
    things i like:

Contacts App - the details put into this is amazing. If you have a friend's email, but don't have him on linkedIn, theres a 'invite' button. The contacts app also serve as a very easy way to keep up to date on what your friends are up to. For people you added on linkedin but can't remember who they are, there is a history of places you guys checked in together, or common friends from both fb/linkedin. If you see their employers but have no idea what they do, there is a newsfeed that pulls in information on their employers. I've spent hours just playing around with the contacts app.
    02-22-12 02:48 PM
    Super awesome- Bluetooth audio support! the messages app takes as many gmail accounts as you care to enter, AVIs that didn't used to play now do, and it's a perfect keyboard for almost any ones phone around me.

Super missing- Skype, Kindle app, good gvoice integration with messaging, offline maps app to use with GPS, a jetpack, and while I doubt it will/can happen an ubuntu chroot or something would be swell.

Still, excellent update that's better late than never and the addition of bluetooth audio means I rarely have to carry two tablets now for presentations or picnics.
    Last edited by bable; 02-22-12 at 03:19 PM.
    02-22-12 03:12 PM
    The 2.0 update seems okay, the new OS looks nice. The new apps won't affect me at all, I never use the PlayBook for communications. But what I DON'T like is the number of purchased apps that stopped working.

Book Reader will now only load one book (whatever book I try first after reinstalling the app), and the library in both my comic readers is broken (one of them just scans forever and won't actually work at all). Book Reader is in fact 90% of my usage... I love the Playbook for this. Dead. PlayEpub does seem to work well, but I've always hated it: ugly page animation, no margins... very unpleasant for long sessions. It looks to me like some of the folder permissions have been changed... I actually got a warning about this from PlayEpub, which needed a reinstall to cure the problem. Reinstalling the other apps has NOT helped (though it did wipe out all my content libraries).

I have not seen nearly enough assessment of this kind of collateral damage amidst all the glowing reviews of the new email facility. Had I known, I'd have held off much longer on the upgrade.
    02-22-12 03:15 PM
    Don't like that there are separate native and bridge apps for calendar, contact, e-mail. Rather, I would like to see the native apps become populated with the bridged information whenever my BB is bridged, and lose that data when it is not.
    02-22-12 03:47 PM
    A follow-up to my message above: I just had an email response from Untangled Development, re Book Reader. They say that late changes in the final OS2 build created incompatibilities. An update of Reader has already been submitted to AppWorld, and should appear for download in 2-3 business days. This should fix the problem with switching books.

For 99 cents, you really get your money's worth! I can't say enough nice things about this app... It's not fancy, but I like it just as well as the best e-book apps I've seen so far on any OS. (And of course I far and away prefer the PlayBook as an ebook platform...)
    02-22-12 05:14 PM
    Overall I like the update to the PlayBook but it really only now is coming with features that it should of had 10 months ago. RIM in my eyes are still 10 months behind the competition.

I am noticing a lack of attention to details such as categories for contacts, syncing information between Native and Bridge Apps.

Print To Go seems like it has much potential (I'm using a Mac so I manually have to copy my files over and sort them). Colour coding and subfolders would really make my life easier as being in the engineering field I deal with hundreds of documents for one project that need more finite filing.

Adobe Reader just plain sucks, I can find what I looking for in a 7 inch stack of paper sooner than I can using this thing. Shame Print To Go uses it also.

Overall app UI is lacking in the Adobe Air apps that come with the PlayBook, App World, Music Player, Video Player and Podcasts. My god the Weather app is better then these apps and whats up with the colours for these apps. Lime green for Podcasts
    02-22-12 06:37 PM
    Two things so far,

Unless I haven't figured it out completely yet (which is possible), I don't see any way to disable the preview (right side) pane so that you only see the email subjects. Along with that, I don't like having to delete each email one at a time.

This second item isn't necessarily a 2.0 issue, rather just something that didn't (and SHOULD) get corrected. Why the heck can't I connect to my android phone and transfer files back and forth. I can pair the two devices (playbook and android phone), but I cannot connect them once paired. If I'm not doing something right, please someone let me know.

Overall though, a good update. Needs to be better though. Still cannot compete with the flexibility and functionality of android or iOS devices.

Hopefully things continue to improve, and at a more rapid pace, or BB will go the way of Palm.
    02-22-12 07:10 PM
    I think the Bridge 2 and OS 2 are by far the greatest thing that happen to playbook and RIM. Just a comment about IPAD, its probably a little more polished than playbook. But these people who complain about IPAD being better, then why did you buy a playbook? to me with all the updates, playbook is far better than ipad, like the size, price is so much better and i can do just about the same things as Apple with my pockets not filing for backrupt. just my two cents and here's to RIM making a comeback
    With the exception of the sound, there is not a single thing that the playbook can do better than the ipad. But I will give you the price point. It's certainly a lot cheaper than an iPad and the only reason I bought one .
    I too have both an iPad 2 and a PlayBook and I think there are areas where the iPad has a clear advantage and there are areas where the PlayBook has a clear advantage. I love the fact that when I don't have wi-fi available I can still use my PlayBook browser using my BlackBerry for free. I don't know what websites you use, but I have found many sites where the Safari browser will not work because of Flash. Not only does the PlayBook Browser handle Flash I find it to be faster than Safari.

Yes, there are many more apps for iPad - but it's been out much longer and has a much larger user base. Hopefully, more developers will bring their apps over to PlayBook. But why do I care about getting an Amazon or Ebay app when it works perfectly on the Browser just the same as on my laptop? And if you're mad about the price of Angry Birds complain to Rovio, not RIM. I'm sure that extra couple $ is really killing you.
    Ok, so I guess my use of the ebay and amazon apps didn't go over well for the blackberry crowd (my apologies-do these apps exist for the blackberry phones?). I find the opposite to be true, I find websites I can't load on my playbook that load fine on the iPad. I don't know if this is a flash issue or not.

My complaint was the lack of free ubiquitous apps for the playbook. Kindle, netflix, skype, shazam, pandora etc. And I don't mind paying for the app. My gripe is that the same apps are .99 or free in the other ecosystems, that's what bothers me. The attitude seems to be 'we're too good for all of those apps here at RIM, just use the browser' or 'see, you get the privlidge of paying $5 for the app that's free on android'. (And the argument, why don't you use those platforms then isn't the point-I want to use and love my playbook!)

And in a way this is RIM's fault. Not for discussion here, but they should have done more to court developers (I am not the only one that remembers the Sega Saturn? Great Hardware; bad software=no sales).
    02-22-12 07:29 PM
    Two things so far,

Unless I haven't figured it out completely yet (which is possible), I don't see any way to disable the preview (right side) pane so that you only see the email subjects. Along with that, I don't like having to delete each email one at a time.

This second item isn't necessarily a 2.0 issue, rather just something that didn't (and SHOULD) get corrected. Why the heck can't I connect to my android phone and transfer files back and forth. I can pair the two devices (playbook and android phone), but I cannot connect them once paired. If I'm not doing something right, please someone let me know.

Overall though, a good update. Needs to be better though. Still cannot compete with the flexibility and functionality of android or iOS devices.

Hopefully things continue to improve, and at a more rapid pace, or BB will go the way of Palm.
    You can delete more than one email at a time! Pay attention!

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    02-22-12 07:34 PM
    I wish they had a native task management app included in 2.0.
    02-22-12 07:41 PM
    What I don't like:

1. Facebook contact syncing has a flaw; all of your contacts pictures won't show up on the contacts app and sometimes when the account is deleted and re-added no pictures show up, I've deleted/re-added my account numerous times to no avail.

2. You can't remove the LinkedIN account integration within the PlayBook (I don't use LinkedIN and never will, don't like seeing something that's rather useless to me taken up space and floating around the OS)

3. The AppWorld redesign is nicer but AppWorld itself is a bit choppy/laggy in it's usability. Although I still feel that we need another overhaul on the layout, we might just get another sooner or later.

4. The only social account options are FaceBook, LinkedIN and Twitter. How about adding more to the already awesome OS that 2.0 is making it even more preferable and appealing to current and prospective new PlayBook owners?

5. No alarm ringtones, adding your own songs or a selection of default ones would be nice to have.

6. No camera extra functions were added, for instance, panoramic shots.

7. The image gallery wooden background should be customizable to the background of your liking or have the option to replace it with one of the default wallpapers.

What I like:

Everything else
    02-22-12 09:03 PM
    I'd like the option to sync contacts and calendar with my phone, and have the social network integration more like they have it on the current BlackBerries (where it's selective, and I don't get all these people I follow on Twitter show up in my contacts list).
    02-22-12 09:04 PM
    You can delete more than one email at a time! Pay attention!

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    Perhaps if you feel the need to reply to my post, you could also be so kind as to point me to the answer?
    02-22-12 09:53 PM
    Ive had the PlayBook since launch day 0 and 2.0 is light years ahead from last april. Sure, we a missing a few apps...but all in good time. It's called lobbying

Well done RIM, well done
    02-23-12 09:55 AM
    I paid for those 2 games a week ago T.T
    Don't feel bad, they got me too.

People who paid should have gotten a credit, after all, we were supporting the platform, not freeloading.
    02-23-12 12:33 PM
    With the exception of the sound, there is not a single thing that the playbook can do better than the ipad. But I will give you the price point. It's certainly a lot cheaper than an iPad and the only reason I bought one .
    Other then Music show me IPad multitasking, or Flash running on an IPad.

Apps were a crutch for the bad internet experience on the IPad, The Internet is the app on the Playbook.

Having trouble with a mis-informed website forcing you to a mobile version?

Try SimpleBrowser it allows you to change the identifier for a full desktop experience on misinformed websites.
    02-23-12 12:42 PM
    Overall, kudos to the Dev Team. The Playbook should not be about how to catch up with iPad or other Androids tablets but to further promote the BB strong points - Security, addictive BBM etc. I would love to see more functionalities integrated into the BBM seamlessly (e.g. calendar reminder with BBM contacts, one-touch calling....)

However, in my one day of use and set-up of the new OS 2.0, i come across a few frustrating and sometimes puzzling anomalies.

My service provider is Rogers in Toronto, Ontario, Canada

OS 2.0 Issues

1. BB Bridge Browser Icon - Where has the BB Bridge Browser button gone? Looked up BB Bridge Help in Playbook and it mentioned that one can hide or show particular BB Bridge icons by customizing setting thru my BB Torch BB Bridge Device Properties. However, the Device Properties does not have the BB Bridge Browser. OTOH, under the Playbook HELP - 'About BB Bridge', it clearly showed an icon for BB Bridge Browser.

2. Video Play Anomaly - Without the Bridge Browser, Playbook appears to be still able to access the internet via the normal Browser when BB Bridge is enabled and connected. (I have the WiFi turned off for such a test). However, I cannot play the video on some sites (e.g. BBC.co.uk) but have no such problem with You Tube. In addition, if I then disconnect the Bridge and go to a Wifi environment, the Browser still cannot play the BBC (and Globe & Mail) videos without hard reset the Playbook.

3. Email Connectivity - Cannot set up Rogers email account. It says "The server imap.mail.yahoo.com is not responding?

4. Inconsistent Key Pad - The new touch screen keypad with the extra numeric keys at the top is a brilliant touch. However, this new keypad only shows up when entering 'Passwords' and not under normal typing when the old keypad is shown.

5. I bluetooth the Playbook to my car and able to access the Music Playlist and play it thru the car audio system. Fantastic. Unfortunately, the volume setting is set to about half of what the normal volume and I need to crank it up. Pretty annoying and hazardous to me ear drums if I then decide to switch to my car CD, radio etc and forgot to turn the volume down first.

Old Issues Still Not Fixed

6. Old issue from previous OS - when playing video in Browser, it would stop if I slide to another application (e.g. eBook, Sudoku, MineSweeper) which do not require video card function. OTOH, I can continue to play music from my Music Playlist when I slide to these other applications as well as when I slide to surf the web. This is annoying.

7. Still cannot sort Browser bookmarks

8. Sliding between opened applications should be a continuous loop (like what you have in App World) and not directional to the end and then have to slde back to get to previous applications.

9. No easy way to export pictures from my Torch to the Playbook.

10. The 'universal' default auto screen dimming is annoying when using eBook.

11. No Skype!?

Overall, noticeable improvements but the functionality, packaging, logistic design can do with a bit more polishing and consistency. People talk and notice less about what is great and more about what doesn't work, especially when RIM tries to do catch up.
    02-23-12 02:53 PM
    Overall, kudos to the Dev Team. The Playbook should not be about how to catch up with iPad or other Androids tablets but to further promote the BB strong points - Security, addictive BBM etc. I would love to see more functionalities integrated into the BBM seamlessly (e.g. calendar reminder with BBM contacts, one-touch calling....)

1. BB Bridge Browser Icon - Where has the BB Bridge Browser button gone? Looked up BB Bridge Help in Playbook and it mentioned that one can hide or show particular BB Bridge icons by customizing setting thru my BB Torch BB Bridge Device Properties. However, the Device Properties does not have the BB Bridge Browser. OTOH, under the Playbook HELP - 'About BB Bridge', it clearly showed an icon for BB Bridge Browser.

2. Video Play Anomaly - Without the Bridge Browser, Playbook appears to be still able to access the internet via the normal Browser when BB Bridge is enabled and connected. (I have the WiFi turned off for such a test). However, I cannot play the video on some sites (e.g. BBC.co.uk) but have no such problem with You Tube. In addition, if I then disconnect the Bridge and go to a Wifi environment, the Browser still cannot play the BBC (and Globe & Mail) videos without hard reset the Playbook.

3. Email Connectivity - Cannot set up Rogers email account. It says "The server imap.mail.yahoo.com is not responding?

4. Inconsistent Key Pad - The new touch screen keypad with the extra numeric keys at the top is a brilliant touch. However, this new keypad only shows up when entering 'Passwords' and not under normal typing when the old keypad is shown.

5. I bluetooth the Playbook to my car and able to access the Music Playlist and play it thru the car audio system. Fantastic. Unfortunately, the volume setting is set to about half of what the normal volume and I need to crank it up. Pretty annoying and hazardous to me ear drums if I then decide to switch to my car CD, radio etc and forgot to turn the volume down first.
    Before posting something wrong, you should check it properly.
    here are answers to your ques:

Bridge Browser: There is no bridge browser icon 'coz now in 2.0 you are using same playbook browser instead of another one more browser. It connect automatically to your phone and use your phone network connectivity while browsing.

Video Play Anomaly: Some websites need higher internet speed as those have heavy data on the pages to download, so it takes time and if your phone internet or phone network connection is weak or slower then it will not play as it shows time out message.

Email Accounts: check following link to find how to set up emails: http://crackberry.com/setting-accoun...ry-playbook-20

Inconsistent Key Pad: new keyboard with extra numeric row on top is for password entering only because it makes it eaiser to insert numeric passwords and it is not available all times as it will make avialable screen smaller to use or watch.

Volume Issue: you can click on gear icon on right hand upper corner and go to Sounds and increase default volume and even can use headphone volume boost to increase volume while using headphone or car audio system.

I hope that i hv given you solution for all your problems (as u mentioned). So next time, seek assistance before writing any thing unreasonable.

Enjoy!
    02-23-12 06:44 PM
    Inconsistent Key Pad: new keyboard with extra numeric row on top is for password entering only because it makes it eaiser to insert numeric passwords and it is not available all times as it will make avialable screen smaller to use or watch.
    There should be an option to specify the virtual keyboard. The schizophrenic behavior really bugs me. One thing I really liked about he TouchPad was there is always a number row. Having to go back and forth is a PITA. This is the single biggest reasons why I quit using the iPad after O got a TouchPad.

It would be even better if the Playbook would let you also specify different keyboard sizes, but...
    02-23-12 06:54 PM
    There are a lot of things that PB can do but not iPad. If i start to tell there will no place for you to hide with your iPad.
    Just for your kind imformation I am writing a few here:
    iPad cost you �400 but Playbook only �169
    Ipad does not support flash but Playbook does. Can you play YOUTUBE desktop version on iPad, noooooooooooooooooo.
    Ipad opens only websites which are incoded in HTML5, it can nvr evr open flash websites.
    Ipad does not support flash games.
    ipad has only VGA fron and back camera, so your ipad can not take picture with more resolution than 600x480 but Playbook has 3MP and 5MP HD cameras.
    Ipad has 1024x768 screen resolution for 10inch screen which means 78643 ppi and Playbook has 1024x680 for 7 inch screen which means 99475 ppi. So playbook screen is better than ipad screen.
    Brighest screen available in market is of Playbook not of ipad.
    QNX is world's most reliable and advanced OS not ios. Nasa uses QNX for spaceships not crap piece(ios)
    PLaybook is truely multitasking as you can simultaneously use two apps while in ipad one apps goes in pause while you use another.
    Playbook is dual OS enabled (QNX and android) while ipad support only ios
    playbook is more secured than ipad.

and there are many more thing to consider but i think watever i told is more than enough.

last thing: we are here talking about tools not toys!
    DudeJaat likes this.
    02-23-12 07:22 PM
    There should be an option to specify the virtual keyboard. The schizophrenic behavior really bugs me. One thing I really liked about he TouchPad was there is always a number row. Having to go back and forth is a PITA. This is the single biggest reasons why I quit using the iPad after O got a TouchPad.

It would be even better if the Playbook would let you also specify different keyboard sizes, but...
    But TouchPad has been flopped!
    DudeJaat likes this.
    02-23-12 07:27 PM
    But TouchPad has been flopped!
    True. The TouchPad, and webOS in general, were a mixed bag. And webOS was a stronge influence on the design of Playbook OS, so in a way it lives on.:-)

Overall I think the Playbook is much better., and I think the Playbook is the best tablet available today. But, that doesn't mean that RIM can't still learn from Palm.

As a comparison, the Playbook OS is much better in these areas:

- more stable and much more responsive
    - ability to run lots of apps at once
    - I like the webOS gestures, but RIM one upped Palm with even more -- accessing options, switching apps, etc.
    - Blackberry bridge apps are killer when on the road
    - Bridge remote app is also cool
    - Open On is total killer -- blows away anybody I show it to
    - overall hardware package -- size, display, cameras, HDMI, and magnetic charging cable
    - print to go will be nice when RIM supports MacOS
    - email and calendar and even the contacts are even better than their Syngery inspiration

But there are a few things that I miss about the TouchPad when I use the Playbook:

- resizable virtual keyboard with number row
    - individual cards for everything -- web pages, email messages, etc.
    - the Enyo multi-pane GUI elements employed by apps like email or Communities
    - ability to dial and receive calls from TouchPad speakerphone -- and SMS for some phones

I would love to see these on the Playbook. I would rather they add some of these features thatn try to emulate that piece of junk called iOS
    Last edited by boldmiata; 02-23-12 at 09:07 PM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-23-12 08:39 PM
113 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD