Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Using Joikuspot with Playbook?

I am using a Nokia phone running Joikuspot and the Playbook does not detect the hotspot that this software creates. I have no issues connecting my ipod touch or laptop.

How do I connect the wifi to the playbook from my Nokia phone? I don't want to do internet teetering as there will be charges not covered by my mobile browsing plan.

Will OS 2.0 support joikuspot, or is this RIM's failure once again?

Thanks
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,074 Global Posts
    PIN
    just ask

If its just creating a hotspot it should pick up fine, I've used mine with several different hotspot apps from phones. Try rebooting your playbook. If that doesn't work try inputting the ssid and encryption manually.
    Torch 9810 Bridged with 32GB Playbook
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

I tried creating the settings manually and the joikuspot supports WEP open or WEP shared only and for some reason it does not seem to connect to the playbook.
    Last edited by hightechto; 02-08-2012 at 08:32 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

If Joikuspot only creates an ad-hoc connection, it won't be recognized by the Playbook. For some safety or whatever reason it can only connect to hotspots in infrastructure mode.
    I wasted some hours trying to connect to my Windows Mobile before finding out about that
    CrackBerry Genius

Sorry guys, Playbook doesn't support Ad-hoc wifi.

It is possible to enable Ad-hoc wifi if you are rooted. No one seems to have done it yet.
    Hint: Hex edit the check in wpa_supplicant_ti
    Developer of PPSSPP, ReQognise, Dingleberry, PB Connect, Sachesi, Sachup + Sachibar and other Qt apps. Porter of many opensource Qt apps.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xsacha View Post
    Sorry guys, Playbook doesn't support Ad-hoc wifi.

It is possible to enable Ad-hoc wifi if you are rooted. No one seems to have done it yet.
    Hint: Hex edit the check in wpa_supplicant_ti
    Is anybody working on this?

It would be really appreciated!
    CrackBerry Abuser

same here i am unable to use hotspot from my Nokia C5 using JoikuSpot. someone please post rooting methods.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    967 Global Posts

mate just pair the playbook to your nokia via blue tooth.... i did that and i didnt have to use joikuspot.... i had the same problem...your playbook has all the tethering profiles
    CrackBerry Genius

Bluetooth tether works on Nokia but it's much slower than wifi tether :P
    My phone can download files at 8-16Mbit/s consistently but the bluetooth tether only gets to around 2.5Mbit/s max.
    Developer of PPSSPP, ReQognise, Dingleberry, PB Connect, Sachesi, Sachup + Sachibar and other Qt apps. Porter of many opensource Qt apps.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default How to enable Ad-hoc on Playbook

Someone please help.. can rooting the Playbook enable Ad-hoc ? Is anybody working on it? Could someone please post the method..
    CrackBerry Abuser

It's not possible to root 2.0.1.

It's fine to use Bluetooth connection, until I need the internet on more than my PlayBook. So I also hope that they will add ad-hoc WiFi in the future.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gerii View Post
    It's not possible to root 2.0.1.

It's fine to use Bluetooth connection, until I need the internet on more than my PlayBook. So I also hope that they will add ad-hoc WiFi in the future.
    I totally agree with you that the blue tooth connection is sufficient... I use a nokia with 3g streaming and can still see YouTube on my playbook without cache lag..

But I doubt if they would update for ad hoc support now that a sim based playbook is on the verge of release.....
    CrackBerry User

Default nope, it isn't

Quote Originally Posted by cavemen View Post
    I totally agree with you that the blue tooth connection is sufficient... I use a nokia with 3g streaming and can still see YouTube on my playbook without cache lag..

But I doubt if they would update for ad hoc support now that a sim based playbook is on the verge of release.....
    it is NOT ENOUGH because you are forgetting one important point:
    you can only access app world over WIFI
    i know because i have tried and failed over bt tether and i believe so have others on crackberry
    rim should really add ad hoc wifi support
    CrackBerry User

If I had known that the Playbook couldn't connect to Joikuspot (ad-hoc), I wouldn't have picked up a playbook . Not having this ability is a MAJOR problem for me. What a complete pain in the arse :-( I had already tested it with my laptop and it worked flawlessly and hadn't even considered that this might be an issue :-(
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    24D72E0F

to be honest many androids also lack the ability to connect to ad hoc networks unless they're rooted. You could just as easily complain about Nokia limiting their wifi services so that Joikispot is only able to offer ad hoc not infrastructure.

If it's a big deal there are mobile hotspots availlable that I believe the likes of O2 etc in the UK do for about 10 a month which is not an outlandish price to resolve the issue?

O2 | Mobile Broadband Pocket Hotspot | Your own personal, portable hotspot to get online, on the move.