- CrackBerry Abuser
- 315 Posts
Unofficial Playbook OS2 BETA Findings, Tips, Tricks, and Issues
With all the work we've been doing in the forums regarding porting Android Apps to the Playbook, I realized that we never really set up a thread to discuss our findings about the OS itself (including found issues as to why some Android apps work, while others don't). What we think. New tricks. Any issues.
Here is what I've found so far:
Folders instead of tabs
- this is bay far the biggest visual change that users will immediately notice
- Gone are the Home/Media/Favorites/etc...
- This has been replaced with a quick launch tray where you can store up to 6 "icons"
- Why do I say icons instead of apps? well, that's because in addition to the folders on the home screen, you can also drag those folders to the tray. For those complaining about missing a tabbed view, this is a nice alternative without having to keep swiping over and over again.
Security Wipe is a good idea before upgrading
- During our porting of Android apps, we found that a single, initial Security Wipe and resinstallation of the OS2 BETA fixed 'most' issues (at least when attempting to run BAR applications that have been documented in the thread as working).
WPS activation through router didn't work
- Perhaps it was just me, or my router, but after performing the Security Wipe, I attempted to reconnect to my network using the WPS button, but it would not connect. I then tried it through the router's web interface and tried it with the PIN. Neither worked. This may have been due to a hidden SSID, but I've never had it be an issue with any other device before. I ended up having to input the settings manually.
Camera won't focus.
- This was perhaps THE most frustrating thing I've experienced so far in the BETA (that we weren't told about).
- I attempted to use both the still camera and the video camera, but neither would focus. Tried the holding down of the button halfway trick (I know, touchscreen, so hold for a few seconds instead). No luck. Can anyone else confirm that the camera will not focus?
Bridge requires a workaround to use
- See this thread "HERE'S HOW to use Bridge in the 2.0 beta"
How to install Android APKs
APKs that have been converted, tested, or requested
Camera will not work in Android Apps
- One of the biggest Android APK files that everyone was trying to convert has been Skype.
- We have it working WITHOUT VIDEO.
- Currently, the Android player has been locked out of the Playbook Camera.
Native Android e-mail client
- See this thread for more details Native email (both personal and Exchange) available in Android player
Ogg playback seems to be borked
- Settings button does nothing (at least not yet)
- To switch between open Android Applications (multitasking), use the icons found in the Navigation Bar at the bottom of the screen
Killing Android Applications/Tasks
- Once you are done with an application, make sure to CLOSE it by backing all the way out to the ANDROID HOME SCREEN.
- Make sure you download the Task Killer Android App to make sure everything gets closed, just in case.
- When all else fails, close the Android Player completely and reopen using a DIFFERENT application than the one that caused it to break.
Last edited by technomensch; 10-20-2011 at 07:41 AM.Marc K.
BNXTreme Community Manager
Is your address book a mess?
Are you drowning in duplicate contacts?
Give it a good cleaning with Scrubly.
Use the following link to save 10%:
- CrackBerry User
10-20-2011, 10:02 AM #4
- 71 Posts
Re: camera -- the pics look fine to me (similar to before) but you can't focus on objects that are really close (i.e. do macro shots)
Re: Kobo -- same here...swiping doesn't work, but then I've always used tapping rather than swiping
Re: folders -- a great feature on 2.0. Every time I install a new app, it's so easy to drag and drop it into a folder I've already made. Not sure why people complain about having to drag them across multiple screens. It's not like you're likely to have more than 3 screens to swipe through unless you avoid using folders (you CAN have more than 3 screens, btw). I personally have most things in folders so I have almost everything on just one screen!
10-20-2011, 11:59 AM #6
- 5,627 Posts
- Hey, what did you expect ?
I confirm the wipe advise prior to install. My PG 32Gb went maybe 20% faster and much more stable after I security-wiped it and go install 2.0 again.
- Camera, both video and photo works ... now. I've encountered some problems, but I think it is after having tried to launch photo in an Androïd app. No focus problem.
- Charging : no problem with micro-usb or charger. PB wakes up if micro-usb.
- For "foreigners", the bridge workaround
is no-goworks ; seems that bothif PB and Phone have to beis en/US localized.
- Froggies & rest of the world again : no more NaN syndrom ! yeppeeee !
Last edited by Superfly_FR; 10-21-2011 at 04:02 PM.
- 10-20-2011, 02:16 PM #9
I want to say that my camera works BETTER now. Its much faster taking stills and didn't jump (much) after a few seconds recording 1080p video. Now we need to talk to RIM about colour correction during video. Its bad when you change lighting conditions or even just the objects. A rock can be grey and the same rock can be red-ish in the same video BTW the rock is actually grey.
- 10-20-2011, 02:36 PM #10
There is one thing that bugs the *** out of me. When you swipe across the bezel to automatically go to the next window (no minimizing) the animation/transition is sooo slow to bounce to the foreground. Everything is nice, smooth and fast except that transition. I really hope they fix it. I thought they could speed it up before, now its painful. Anyone else?
- CrackBerry Addict
10-20-2011, 02:50 PM #11
- 785 Posts
- NoPin - BBID rulez
When updating to OS2 from DM - one of the modules was called AirTunes ....
Does that mean that we can use the Playbook to stream to Airtunes devices (such as APple TV) - or can the PB now be used as a AirTunes "speaker"?
- 10-20-2011, 05:11 PM #15
I have 2.0 installed but I haven't loaded any Android apps. Saw in the PlayBook apps forum that you can have multiple Android app windows open at the same time as with the native applications.
Just want confirmation that this is true.
And do the Android apps work with the Bridge data connection? This is huge for me.
Last edited by Hush9300; 10-20-2011 at 05:17 PM.
- CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses
10-20-2011, 08:43 PM #17
- 6,140 Posts
I could live without the bridge apps, but I could not get WiFi to connect ... that's just too big an issue, as it also caused Software Updates to hang up searching for the current OS version. Tried everything to get it working, but no luck. Ended up reverting to 1.07 for now. Anxiously waiting for the real OS 2 to arrive now.
But I think I see where they're going with the web-based bridge apps, and if it's where I think they're going, Balsillie may not have been that far off with his leapfrog comment.Ed
Be bold. Be pantless. Then go take a nice long nap.
- CrackBerry User
10-20-2011, 08:48 PM #18
- 73 Posts
wifi - auto connect and doesnt allow me to disconnect or connect. besides that, i cant even know wat network im currently connected to.
bar files - tried to sideloads some android apps but when selection on the icon, nothing seem to happen.
- 10-20-2011, 09:26 PM #19
Bridge works fine for some
WiFi issues - try resolving by deleting saved networks
New Youtube app, much better
New background in App World
Reader view in browser
Scrolling much faster in many apps (e.g. Glimpse, Blaq) - due to Air update?
MKV support (limited audio codecs)
New Bluetooth services (Audio/Video Remote Control) - no use yet
Docs To Go updated
BlackBerry ID info in settings (or was that always there and I never notice?)
Out of interest:
Andorid apps work very well and even provide native PB notifications. For fun I used Google Maps Navigation last night in the car (passenger). I tethered my BB9700 (though it seems to work through bridge the data rate is very slow here in Australia) and low and behold the GPS worked and it gave me turn by turn directions as we drove along... fantastic! I was shocked to see it provide native PB notifications too!
Last edited by tofo17; 10-20-2011 at 09:36 PM.
- CrackBerry User
10-20-2011, 10:38 PM #22
- 12 Posts
OS1 wakes up from Standby with SWIPE ACROSS screen or BEZEL-TO-BEZEL.
OS2Beta wakes up from Standby with a SINGLE TOUCH within the screen.
I prefer swipe gesture and bezel-to-bezel.
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
- CrackBerry User
10-20-2011, 10:57 PM #23
- 14 Posts
I just want to say that I really hate the new UI. I hope they optimise it a bit more. I used to think my PB had the best UI out there, but this new one is underwhelming.
There's no easy way to exit the folders, and since I almost always use it one-handed, I have to grab the other edge and aim for the X. This makes no sense. Surely they can add a swipe exit gesture.
Also the fact that you cannot swipe directly from the first panel to the last is quite irritating. I use 5+ panels, since I don't really like the folders implementation, so that gets quite frustrating.
The 3 pane multi-tasker is takes some getting used to, I guess.
Waiting for the public release, though, so the PB can become a true powerhouse. Email is by far the feature I am looking forward to the most.