If i restore my playbook from a backup do the apps that i have sideloaded get restored as well or just the ones i have downloaded from app world.

Thanks.
    03-09-12 04:09 AM
    If i restore my playbook from a backup do the apps that i have sideloaded get restored as well or just the ones i have downloaded from app world.

Thanks.
    I'm not totally sure but If you have done a factory reset then you lose all added apps which are not included in the version. This means you will need to reinstall all apps whether sideloaded or app world, (which you find in "My World").
    Any data settings etc that you have backed up to desktop manager, I would have thought would restore but I'm not to sure if the sideloaded apps will do this as the backup system may not recognise the files.
    I'm sure that there are better folk out there than me who can advise. Good luck
    03-09-12 07:14 AM
    If you've sideloaded apps, can't you just re-sideload them again?

Or are you concerned specifically about the data they may have stored in their sandbox data area?

I don't actually know but I suspect sideloaded apps are fully restored.
    03-09-12 09:34 AM
    Concerned about the data as well as just doing the restore without have to sideload every app separate.
    03-09-12 09:37 AM
    As far as I am aware if you restore to factory settings this will wipe any additional applications that you have installed whether sideloaded or not.
    The backup feature only backs up application data not the application.
    If this was not the case, say you had to do a factory restore because of a corupt OS, if you did a back up restore that had been made from a faulty OS then the back up would overight the now restored OS application with the corupt one. I hope this makes sense.

You will have to reinstall all "added" apps however loaded, and hopefully the application Data will restore through back up
    03-09-12 04:43 PM
    OK thanks for that.
    03-09-12 04:46 PM
    The backup feature only backs up application data not the application.
    If this was not the case, say you had to do a factory restore because of a corupt OS, if you did a back up restore that had been made from a faulty OS then the back up would overight the now restored OS application with the corupt one. I hope this makes sense.
    This is simply wrong. In all versions to date, the PlayBook OS backs up the entire application, code and data, when you do a backup (unless you select only "media" or "settings").
    03-09-12 11:23 PM
    I think if you do a complete back-up, it does back-up everything.

Let us wait for the experts on this.
    03-09-12 11:48 PM
    OK thanks for the replies.
    03-10-12 05:56 AM
    Ok, I checked my playbook backup sync on desktop manager, under custom it states Application data, media, and settings. I have apps on my book so I assume it would say application back up also which it dosent.

As I said before I wasn't sure, but if backup does reinstate applications then you may well reinstall apps which you had previously uninstalled between backups.
    Surely the backup would need to be a mirror image.

A factory reset will restore applications included in/with the original OS. But I didn't think others are.

Will someone explain it to me or I'll go nuts, have I got it wrong???????
    03-10-12 05:04 PM
    I am going to test this in the next couple of days as I need to know.
    03-10-12 05:10 PM
    daveycrocket, you're not nuts. "Application data" does include application code, and yes when you restore it might end up reinstalling previously uninstalled apps (along with their data). In the unlikely event something was corrupted (there's no record of this happening to application code on this platform, ever, as far as I'm aware) it would probably be restored in identical corrupted condition.

A more fine-grained backup/restore mechanism may be something we see in future...
    daveycrocket likes this.
    03-10-12 06:39 PM
    i can tell you from personal experience you lose all data on the android side....nothing gets saved in a playbook backup.
    daveycrocket likes this.
    03-10-12 08:15 PM
    daveycrocket, you're not nuts. "Application data" does include application code, and yes when you restore it might end up reinstalling previously uninstalled apps (along with their data). In the unlikely event something was corrupted (there's no record of this happening to application code on this platform, ever, as far as I'm aware) it would probably be restored in identical corrupted condition.

A more fine-grained backup/restore mechanism may be something we see in future...
    Thanks for that, I guess I was thinking computer, sorry to mislead.
    03-11-12 07:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD