Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default safe mode

my playbook seems to be stuck in safe mode. I have the watermarks with my user id and pin in the four corners. I've tried rebooting several times, but it always ends up booting into safe mode.

this started when I downloaded and installed the most recent developer beta os. version 2.0.0.7111

does anyone now how to not boot into safe mode (and conversly, how do you boot into safe mode in the first place).

thanks

Please let us know what you find out as I've not heard of safe mode on the pb.

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: playbooksupport@blackberry.com
    (UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Global Posts
    10,358 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?

Well, the debrick method may be a solution ... (F2 correct me if I'm wrong)
    1. Start your Desktop Manager
    2. Turn OFF your PB
    3. Plug it into USB
    4. Should have a message "Cant connect" with an "update" option button.
    5. Hit update and follow instructions.

Hope it helps.
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

I'm going to make some guesses here.

1. There's no such thing as "safe" mode on the PlayBook, and shame on whomever made that joke.

2. This unit either previously had an internal beta, or accidentally had its PIN registered for an internal beta, and this triggered the "watermark" thing.

I can't think of any reason a user's id and the device PIN would be shown onscreen in watermark form except as a measure to protect highly confidential internal releases (or screenshots from them) from being released.
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    Follow us on Twitter or Facebook or visit Engenuity's mobile apps page.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by peter9477 View Post
    I'm going to make some guesses here.

1. There's no such thing as "safe" mode on the PlayBook, and shame on whomever made that joke.

2. This unit either previously had an internal beta, or accidentally had its PIN registered for an internal beta, and this triggered the "watermark" thing.

I can't think of any reason a user's id and the device PIN would be shown onscreen in watermark form except as a measure to protect highly confidential internal releases (or screenshots from them) from being released.
    I looked everywhere for any documentation on safe mode for the playbook. I haven't been able to find any. so it make sense that there is no safe mode. that said, I still have these watermarks which are rather annoying. and I know I'm not the only one, becaues when I originally posted this problem other people claimed to have the same issue. it was in this other thread that i was told that I was in safe mode.

I can try the de-bricking methid, but everything on my playbook seems to be working perfectly with the excexception of these watermarks.

for some background, in case it helps, I did have the most recent beta on my playbook prior to upgrading to .7111. I did get a server connection error half way through my download of the .7111. but it seemed to work itself out when I. chose the re-connect option, and downloaded and installed just fine after that.

like I said, everything seem to work just fine ( and I've had no other issues).

any more help or suggestions would be great.

also, maybe this thread should be titled somerhing different, because if I am having this issue, and a few others are too, I would assume the problem is not that unique, but people might not know how to search for the problem, especially if it is not a safe mode issue.

Global Posts
    10,358 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?

@nesstheraven : have you tried to change your desktop background image ?
    Sometimes, the simplest, the best ... and won't cost you much tine !
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly_FR View Post
    @nesstheraven : have you tried to change your desktop background image ?
    Sometimes, the simplest, the best ... and won't cost you much tine !
    Good thought... does that actually work?

I had the impression, from "watermark", that this involved a semi-transparent overlay that shows up permanently and on top of the screen no matter was is displayed, even while running an app fullscreen. That would fit with it being a security measure, to protect against the spread of screenshots showing confidential internal builds.
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

it is a literal watermark as you define it peter9477. semi transparent overlay that shows up permanently on top of everything (no matter what is open).

And I did try changing my background image, but being a watermark, there was no difference.

That said, I am currently de-bricking my device. I can't stand the stock UI, so I'll be upgrading to the beta when I'm done. I'll let you know how it works.

Also, there didnt seem to be anything special in the watermarked version I had. It was identical to the 2.0.0.6xxx version I had before with the .7111 improvements. (i.e. i didnt have native email or calander etc which would have been nice).
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nesstheraven View Post
    it is a literal watermark as you define it peter9477. semi transparent overlay that shows up permanently on top of everything (no matter what is open).

And I did try changing my background image, but being a watermark, there was no difference.

That said, I am currently de-bricking my device. I can't stand the stock UI, so I'll be upgrading to the beta when I'm done. I'll let you know how it works.

Also, there didnt seem to be anything special in the watermarked version I had. It was identical to the 2.0.0.6xxx version I had before with the .7111 improvements. (i.e. i didnt have native email or calander etc which would have been nice).
    I have the same situation.

Mine started after I upgraded to .7111 and started the PB. First I was not prompted to do all the wipes. Then when I tried to access Pandora (Android) the app crashed and the PB shut down. Then when restarted it it stayed on the start up screen for a long time so I rebooted. Afterwards the watermark has showed in my screen.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

I did a de-brick following Superfly_FR's directions, and then re-downloaded the 2.0.0.7111 beta, and the watermarks are gone.

Note that the de-bricking erases everything on your playbook. So back everything up.

thanks
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    PM me

Quote Originally Posted by peter9477 View Post

RIM does use these watermarks on internal beta builds that have the new features (PIM, etc) for exactly the reason you describe. If the PIN was whitelisted though then the OP would have got the beta with native PIM, etc. I'm not sure what's tripping it up, but that's definitely what's happening.
    Taylor Byrnes

Check out my apps in BlackBerry World - Developer of Memo Pad, VLC Remote, and more
    Z10 Limited Edition + Dev Alpha C + PlayBook

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

Just stumbled over this, confirming the watermark thing and reasons for it (from Dec 21):

Bad news for Blackberry leaks :(
    CrackBerry Genius

If anyone else has these watermarks, please PM me for details of extracting your Beta OS in to usable .bar files
    Thanks.
    Developer of PPSSPP, ReQognise, Dingleberry, PB Connect, Sachesi, Sachup + Sachibar and other Qt apps. Porter of many opensource Qt apps.