I would like to hope that my current OS7 device, a 9810, could be loaded with a version of BBX / QNX as there is definitely enough horse power in these current generation of devices, and would open up some application options in the future, such as android. Any rumors on this front? The hardware should be able to handle this, only missing the dual core....
    11-16-11 03:01 PM
    Yes the hardware should be able.

Sadly RIM has said something about current devices not being able to run it though.
    11-16-11 03:02 PM
    Hardware's one thing. Writing all the drivers to make it work is an entirely different thing.

It's highly unlikely ever to happen.
    11-16-11 03:18 PM
    Not going to happen. It would waste way too much time trying to get it to work...
    11-16-11 04:06 PM
    same was said about the 9700 running OS 6 back in the days... and well, you not what happened there
    11-16-11 11:42 PM
    That's stupid when the hardware is capable of running QNX but they just want to force us getting the latest devices!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-17-11 04:03 AM
    Mike L says no.
    11-17-11 06:50 AM
    It has been said several times that BBX is designed for dual core devices. No current BB handhelds have dual cores. Yeah they could shoe-horn it on there, but the result would be terrible
    Pearl9100 and Superfly_FR like this.
    11-17-11 07:03 AM
    Like peter9477 said, it's not just a matter of capable hardware, it's all the drivers and testing to make it work.
    Given the fact that RIM could hardly get QNX drivers written for new hardware like the PB (A2DP anyone?), it would be highly improbable (and a bad idea) for them to divert resources to write drivers for older phones.
    peter9477 likes this.
    11-17-11 09:10 AM
    This ain't gonna happen. Not never, not nohow, not no way. Just forget it and buy a new device when it comes out with QNX on it.

Like Sith_A says, QNX has long been touted for dual core devices and upwards. TThe 8910 does not have this. So it ain;t gonna work

RIM has enough to do without trying to port a new OS onto an old phone which will be nearly a year old before any effort could be made to release a version for even the latest of the current crop of phones.

No, no, no, forget porting QNX to old phones. Just buy a new one when QNX phones hit the market. You contract will be about half up when that happens so you'll be ready to buy once the bugs are out of the new OS and new hardware.
    11-17-11 09:19 AM
    I'd much prefer that RIM work on drivers for the current QNX/BBX supported devices (Playbook, Colt, London) such as:
    A2DP, USB OTG, DLNA, FM Radio, Bluetooth 3.0 HS and so on that are supported by hardware within the device.

Rather than try to go backwards in spec support. When you make a fresh start, make a fresh start.
    11-18-11 10:32 PM
    I would like to hope that my current OS7 device, a 9810, could be loaded with a version of BBX / QNX as there is definitely enough horse power in these current generation of devices, and would open up some application options in the future, such as android. Any rumors on this front? The hardware should be able to handle this, only missing the dual core....
    Research In Motion made an official statement that BBOS 7.0 smartphones will not be able to run BBX. Maybe their stance will change; it is not like anything they announce is carved in stone.
    11-19-11 09:34 AM
    same was said about the 9700 running OS 6 back in the days... and well, you not what happened there
    To my knowledge the current BlackBerry OS is written in C++ and the hardware and especially the firmware of current BlackBerry phones are built/wrapped around supporting the current C++ based OS. So I doubt RIM will go through the hassle of rewriting firmware to support the QNX based OS (BBX) that is to come.

Not saying that it is impossible for current phones to run QNX but it is improbable that RIM will work to do this.
    11-19-11 11:01 AM
    ...another thing that will be too many human hours to commit to do this; human hours I would love to see added to BB Tablet OS 2.0
    11-19-11 11:03 AM
    BBX was/is being tested on the 99xx series, not sure how good/bad the testing is going/went but surely is able to run it, look it this way many people says what windows 7 needs to run hardware wise, and yet you can see older computers being able to do so in a very good way
    Firefighter0793 likes this.
    11-19-11 11:39 AM
    My roommate was working TIFF and a few blackberry reps came in kinda tipsy, and had asked him if he was a blackberry rep and if had received his new phone (He was demoing the 9900 and the playbook during TIFF) he said ya but that he hadn't received the phone. So he was playing around with it. It was only after he played with my playbook that he said he noticed the similarity between the phone he was using and my playbook. Mind you this was running on the same style phone as the 9900. After the Blackberry rep asked him for his name/address to get him the phone shipped to him and my friend explained he didn't actually work for rim this guy just snatched the phone from my buddies hand.

Anyway he suspects that a working QNX phone is amongst us but there are fundamental features they are probably working out or Pretty sure they would have released it already. It was very interesting to hear.

I'm not saying this is fact he just thinks that is what he used because he said it felt different from the 9900 they were displaying. Although it looked similar the OS looked different. Anyway let the rumors go
    11-19-11 09:29 PM
    BBX was/is being tested on the 99xx series, not sure how good/bad the testing is going/went but surely is able to run it, look it this way many people says what windows 7 needs to run hardware wise, and yet you can see older computers being able to do so in a very good way
    Sorry but I really think you need a dual core processor to run BBX.
    (BTW: W7 need less hardware power than Vista did.)
    11-21-11 08:01 AM
    RIM is SO far behind on other stuff you don't seriously thing they are going to take time to start a new project to rewrite the drivers and firmware of the OS 7 devices so they can get BBX? Especially after they have already stated that is NOT in the plans?

And just because a device hardware can handle a certain software doesn't mean it should, OR that it can handle it well. This has been proven over and over by windows upgrades being installed on older PCs, and I once put BB 4.5 on my 8703, sure it worked, but there's a VERY good reason Verizon choose not to ever release it.
    11-21-11 08:16 AM
    Why, oh why, can't a RIM employee accidentally leave a QNX prototype at the bar?
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-21-11 08:33 AM
    At first I was miffed about this too, but looking at it realistically, I don't want the first releases of QNX on my phone anyways. I will be happy to wait a year or two and let it mature into something solid. Also, by then there should be a solid application base for it too. I am happy enough right now with OS7.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Clinto and highos like this.
    11-22-11 02:16 PM
    My roommate was working TIFF and a few blackberry reps came in kinda tipsy, and had asked him if he was a blackberry rep and if had received his new phone (He was demoing the 9900 and the playbook during TIFF) he said ya but that he hadn't received the phone. So he was playing around with it. It was only after he played with my playbook that he said he noticed the similarity between the phone he was using and my playbook. Mind you this was running on the same style phone as the 9900. After the Blackberry rep asked him for his name/address to get him the phone shipped to him and my friend explained he didn't actually work for rim this guy just snatched the phone from my buddies hand.

Anyway he suspects that a working QNX phone is amongst us but there are fundamental features they are probably working out or Pretty sure they would have released it already. It was very interesting to hear.

I'm not saying this is fact he just thinks that is what he used because he said it felt different from the 9900 they were displaying. Although it looked similar the OS looked different. Anyway let the rumors go
    Great story.

Let me grab my popcorn.
    11-22-11 06:01 PM
    Sorry but I really think you need a dual core processor to run BBX.
    (BTW: W7 need less hardware power than Vista did.)
    Just remember the Bold 9700 and OS 6 and yet it worked quite nice

RIM is SO far behind on other stuff you don't seriously thing they are going to take time to start a new project to rewrite the drivers and firmware of the OS 7 devices so they can get BBX? Especially after they have already stated that is NOT in the plans?

And just because a device hardware can handle a certain software doesn't mean it should, OR that it can handle it well. This has been proven over and over by windows upgrades being installed on older PCs, and I once put BB 4.5 on my 8703, sure it worked, but there's a VERY good reason Verizon choose not to ever release it.
    Dont remember they said is not in the plans to run BBX in current bb7 devices, in regards of the drivers and firmware i will ask you this, couldn't be that they upgraded the processors for one reason on bb7? they were supposed to release bb7 before and they didn't it at the last minute just to upgrade the processor?

As far as i know originally all bb7 devices were going to get the processors clocked at what the current BB7 curves are
    11-27-11 02:17 AM
    If any current devices are going to be BBX, then it would be the ones with 1ghz+ processors
    11-28-11 10:47 AM
    Just remember the Bold 9700 and OS 6 and yet it worked quite nice
    Really? The Bold 9780 hardware was an incremental upgrade over the Bold 9700. Literally it was more memory and a better camera and a couple of smaller things. Nothing to write home about, no massive/major hardware changes. I wasn't surprised that they released OS6 for the 9700 because it was a very similar device, just more resource limited compared to it's big brother. In some ways I wish they had not though, if you've ever had to use an OS6 device on a non-touch device and deal with the fact that you cannot customize the panels like in OS7 it can drive you mad. Just saying

Could they put PBOS/BBX on the current line of OS7 devices? Sure. But...should they?

I personally don't think they should. From all the rumours and speculations it makes far more sense what they sound like they are doing-release an ~"4 device with the same resolution as the PB, which means all the current PB stuff will Just Work(tm).

Why would they not just leverage all the work they are currently putting in the PB and once it's all worked out and stable use that on new devices? There's no real gain in going back and supporting older hardware at that point in the game. Yeah it might suck if you purchased a current OS7 device, however when you purchased it there was no promise of it working on future generation OS-and it's not like it's unusable in it's current state or that RIM will just stop supporting it any time soon.

Can QNX run on a single core or CPU? Of course it can, it's been around for 30 years and they could optimize if they wanted too. But they don't have the time nor the resources to be wasting on that kind of thing. They need to move forward, not look back.
    peter9477 and howarmat like this.
    11-28-11 12:36 PM
    Can QNX run on a single core or CPU? Of course it can, it's been around for 30 years and they could optimize if they wanted too. But they don't have the time nor the resources to be wasting on that kind of thing. They need to move forward, not look back.
    That sums up the whole discussion, right there.
    11-28-11 12:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD