Hey All,

Ever since updating to the 2.0.7111 beta I've experienced an extreme reduction in battery life. I also noticed that the PlayBook would turn on if I jostle it around a bit. Turns out that this beta release must have a bug as it turns on whenever you move the device in a way that the orientation changes. For example if you put the PlayBook in landscape mode, put it in standby, then flip the device into portrait mode the device will exit out of standby. When you enable the orientation lock before going into standby then this problem goes away.

I leave my PlayBook in my briefcase all day to get jostled around - it was turning on every minute or so O.o
    01-24-12 12:06 PM
    I haven't noticed that at all. I have password turned on...maybe that makes a difference?
    01-24-12 12:11 PM
    Just tested and I had to swipe to activate my PB. Rotating between landscape and portrait didn't do anything. I do have my PB password protected.
    01-24-12 01:03 PM
    hmm hasn't done it to me and i also have my 2 PBs password protected.
    01-24-12 01:08 PM
    I'm pretty sure this isn't happening to most people.

I suggest a wipe and checking it again.

Any chance there's a particular app running, which may somehow be doing this while you're in standby?
    01-24-12 01:09 PM
    Hmmmm I just restarted and the problem is no longer present. I will keep my eye out to see if I can figure out what caused it to start doing this. Hopefully my battery lasts a lot longer than it has.
    01-24-12 01:27 PM
    The problem reappears upon reboot after I launch the browser. I also have a password on my PlayBook and it stops working after launching the browser and found in and out of standby. Bummer.
    01-24-12 01:38 PM
    After 7111, battery was normal until I sideloaded three android aps. Now, it stays hot and runs down in about 10 hours or less when not using it. Something is running in the background.

The applications I put on there are: Kindle Reader, Repligo Reader and Economist Magazine application.

I rebooted and same thing.

I turned developer mode off after sideloading the applications.

About the time I wrote this, I fiddled with the applications on PB and found that when I started an Android one that came from AppWorld, a message popped up saying that it could not start because the Economist was running with an option to kill the Economist. When I did that, the battery usage and warmth on the back went away. So it looks like this application was running in the background and then stayed that way even through a restart.

Some stuff here for the guys at RIM to deal with before going public with this thing.
    Last edited by jgrobertson; 01-26-12 at 06:12 PM. Reason: New Information.
    01-26-12 05:17 PM
    I would uninstall those apps and see if it continues.
    If not, load them one at a time, give it a full day or two to test.

Uninstall #1 and try the same test with #2 and then repeat with #3.

See if you can pinpoint that way.

Then report back and we'll brainstorm some more if need be...
    01-26-12 06:06 PM
    My orientation lock has been periodically turning itself off. I started using it before seeing this thread since I rarely use it in any other mode. Also, it was being a pain when my wife and I were playing Backgammon and passing it back and forth.
    01-26-12 07:48 PM
    I have the same problem as OP. Password lock on PB makes no difference. PB will stay off only when I have orientation lock on. Otherwise, when orientation changes, PB wakes up.

AND camera is broken from an earlier update. Maybe I'll try a wipe.
    01-26-12 08:38 PM
    I've had much worse luck with the camera on this version of the beta. It worked great on the previous beta release but I had several lockups when using it with this build.
    01-26-12 08:47 PM
    After 7111, battery was normal until I sideloaded three android aps. Now, it stays hot and runs down in about 10 hours or less when not using it. Something is running in the background.

The applications I put on there are: Kindle Reader, Repligo Reader and Economist Magazine application.

I rebooted and same thing.

I turned developer mode off after sideloading the applications.

About the time I wrote this, I fiddled with the applications on PB and found that when I started an Android one that came from AppWorld, a message popped up saying that it could not start because the Economist was running with an option to kill the Economist. When I did that, the battery usage and warmth on the back went away. So it looks like this application was running in the background and then stayed that way even through a restart.
    I had the same power problem with the Economist app version 1.2.3. The problem was easily reproducible - I reinstalled the OS, then installed only the Economist, and the battery started to run down quickly. Used the Android settings app to remove the Economist and it was back to normal.

I then went back to version 1 of the Economist (search for uk.co.economist-1.rar) and have had no trouble since.

Andrew
    02-02-12 07:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD