So I have all the latest updates and what not, I'll be using my playbook and a program will randomly close, even the browser. Anyone have issues like this?
    03-26-12 09:22 AM
    Is it all official? No rooting or sideloading? What apps? There have been more crashing lately and hopefully RIM puts out an update soon that addresses this.

For me it isn't constant.
    03-26-12 09:41 AM
    If you're running too much, low memory is probably the cause. With the addition of the Android player, and the PIM stuff, I can run only a couple of "biggies" at a time (along with maybe 2-3 small apps) before getting into trouble.

Typically now if I have BlackBerry News open (which uses the browser component) and Messages, I have trouble if I try to use the Browser. Or if Android running, and browsing, can't run Messages effectively... etc.
    03-26-12 10:39 AM
    This is and has been an issue with the 2.0 betas all the way up to this current version.
    Seems a little better but still the browser is snapping shut way to often.

The Droid player seems unstable, still. Has been all along.

RIM needs to step all over this and now as they do not need to be
    peddling a buggy OS to its customers and to other possible smartphone makers.

They say QNX is great...Not yet it ain't..and as we have been saying for way to long, it has great potential. Unrealized potential.

Tim
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-26-12 11:44 AM
    I agree with Peter. It definitely seems to be a out of memory condition that causes this.
    03-26-12 12:56 PM
    I was told the reason for this by BB.

But I forgot what causes it........

I have a small memory too

JeepBB likes this.
    03-26-12 02:16 PM
    This is and has been an issue with the 2.0 betas all the way up to this current version.
    Seems a little better but still the browser is snapping shut way to often.

The Droid player seems unstable, still. Has been all along.

RIM needs to step all over this and now as they do not need to be
    peddling a buggy OS to its customers and to other possible smartphone makers.

They say QNX is great...Not yet it ain't..and as we have been saying for way to long, it has great potential. Unrealized potential.

Tim
    Android crashes like that on a lot of android devices too. so its hard to find where it stems. I get force closes on my android phone and so does everyone i know with one.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-26-12 02:32 PM
    Use, use, use, use android player, use, crash, crash, swear, reboot. Repeat.
    Last edited by dave1701; 03-30-12 at 01:46 PM.
    OttawaGabe likes this.
    03-26-12 05:12 PM
    I too have programs close on me. I hardly have nore than one app open at a time so dont know what could be causing this.
    Never happened under the old OS
    03-30-12 10:07 AM
    In truth, I do have some side loaded apps, but I never am really running more than MAYBE 2 or 3 different apps at once. Majority of the time, I keep it to one APP and that's it. The majority of the time, it's the browser that closes on me and I only have 1 tab going... Still love the playbook though!
    03-30-12 10:55 AM
    I do not have any apps sideloaded so that cant be the cause of it.
    Got to be some poor memory management issue.
    So frustrating.
    03-30-12 10:33 PM
    Unfortunately, even after a clean wipe reinstall of the OS, both the browser "poofs" and "programs" "poof" occur from time to time.

The root cause of this is NOT user instigated as many on this board attempt to try to convince you (I still don't understand why this happens, and I would love to know why). I don't mean to take a dig at anyone here but the android player, android apps, and all of those are NOT the main cause. I've just seen way too many users posting trying to blame the user for those issues when in reality it's not the user.

It is what it is, an elephant-sized bug in the OS that needs to be fixed and that's all. No issue in that and no shame either; as long as RIM acknowledges the issue (and it seems they did) and they're doing something about it then it's fine, and I'm sure they're doing just that as posted in other threads.

So meanwhile enjoy this fantastic baby OS and hold on for what hopefully will be an even more joyful experience as QNX matures!
    03-31-12 10:34 AM
    Hm, my observation is a bit different.

The browser poofs sometimes and this is annoying. But if you disable flash, javascript and loading images .... See, I wrote this and the browser vanished because I haven't disabled these "features".

I think theres a bug in the javascript engine that crashes the browser. Would be interesting to find a method to crash it constantly.
    03-31-12 12:22 PM
    I played Bejeweled2 for a long session.... PB got a little warm.... continued to play ..... then it went poof! ok... opened the browser.... poof!
    So I rebooted and no more problems.
    03-31-12 04:55 PM
    Whenever that happens to me it is low memory (like others said here). Generally right after I had an official Android app running (official as in through AppWorld, not sideloaded). This is especially true if I do not back out of the Android app to the opening screen (where it shows the app's icons), or if I am using the app for a long period of time (like a game).

When this happens, you may want to check out your memory situation (through settings-Hardware). Every 'poof' I have had, I would check the settings and see only about 100MB of free memory available.
    kbhornbill likes this.
    03-31-12 06:44 PM
    The single biggest problem with QNX at the moment is the RAM usage. I have posted this issue in beta zone as well. I'm not sure if it's the tools RIM gives to the developers or whether the developers themselves aren't carefully looking at RAM usage, but some apps use WAY more RAM than it should. The Adobe Air heavy UI doesn't help (I find AIR apps to use up a lot of RAM). Hopefully RIM will have to resolved by the BB10 phones, because it would be a pretty bad experience if it's not.
    04-02-12 02:14 AM
    Unfortunately, even after a clean wipe reinstall of the OS, both the browser "poofs" and "programs" "poof" occur from time to time.

The root cause of this is NOT user instigated as many on this board attempt to try to convince you (I still don't understand why this happens, and I would love to know why). I don't mean to take a dig at anyone here but the android player, android apps, and all of those are NOT the main cause. I've just seen way too many users posting trying to blame the user for those issues when in reality it's not the user.

It is what it is, an elephant-sized bug in the OS that needs to be fixed and that's all. No issue in that and no shame either; as long as RIM acknowledges the issue (and it seems they did) and they're doing something about it then it's fine, and I'm sure they're doing just that as posted in other threads.

So meanwhile enjoy this fantastic baby OS and hold on for what hopefully will be an even more joyful experience as QNX matures!
    I have been telling people that sideloaded apps may be A cause bc when I had the problem and removed a certain app the problem was gone. Just bc your problem did not involve the apps it does not mean other people should not try this method. It is calledtroubleshooting PROCESS for a reason, and if we start eliminating things that we are not 100% certain about we can be doing more HARM then good.

Don't get me wrong, the % of ppl who have sideloading issues causing these poofs is probably very small,but I think that helping a small group is betterment NOT helping them.

Sidenote: my browser crashedtoday for the first time in probably week, it was also the first crash period in that time. I'm not sure what the problems are, but I seem to have less of them for whatever reason.
    04-02-12 03:31 AM
    I have been telling people that sideloaded apps may be A cause bc when I had the problem and removed a certain app the problem was gone. Just bc your problem did not involve the apps it does not mean other people should not try this method. It is calledtroubleshooting PROCESS for a reason, and if we start eliminating things that we are not 100% certain about we can be doing more HARM then good.

Don't get me wrong, the % of ppl who have sideloading issues causing these poofs is probably very small,but I think that helping a small group is betterment NOT helping them.

Sidenote: my browser crashedtoday for the first time in probably week, it was also the first crash period in that time. I'm not sure what the problems are, but I seem to have less of them for whatever reason.
    I don't believe you can trouble shoot something that has been acknowledged by RIM themselves (as an issue). It's as simple as that, a bug and we won't be able to fix it until RIM fixes it. So until then, all we can do is sit back and wait. You suggested removing sideloaded apps (if he had any) and then you mentioned that you removed a certain app to resolve your issue but today after a week or "steadiness" the "poof" came back. This is exactly what I'm getting at. Mine has had minimal crashes as of late, but this week it's been on a role, at least a few times daily and I didn't do one different thing from previous weeks! So it's all vague and you never know when it's going to strike, how it's going to strike, and how frequently it will strike - there's no pattern.

Like I said, I didn't intend this to be a dig to anyone and I'm sure you had good intentions, but the truth is not much is going to help at this moment. Having read a few threads where people were blamed for the crashes really ticked me off so I'm a bit tired of the direct blame some people are throwing at others (not you), that's all
    kbhornbill likes this.
    04-02-12 04:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD