I'm trying to understand "Messages" on the PlayBook.

I have an email account with my ISP, [email protected]. Everything works fine on my PC using Outlook, and my Torch 9800 works fine too. When I get an email on my phone, I can delete it locally and leave it on the server so my PC can download the message.

All goes to @#$% on my PlayBook.

If I get an email and look at it on the PlayBook, there's no option to delete local only - it deletes it from the server and I can't download it later on my PC. If I leave it on my PlayBook and download it on my PC, it vanishes from the PlayBook. There's no way for me to keep certain messages on the PlayBook if I download them to my PC.

Any tips are appreciated.
    Thanks.
    10-25-12 06:22 PM
    First of all, don't bother deleting emails from your playbook. The playbook automatically deletes local emails based on what you set your "Message Sync Timeframe" to.
    Another thing you can do is make sure you set up email as POP, and also to check the setting is set up as "Keep Messages on Server" or something like that on your ISP email website.
    Check in the web interface of your email account. E.g. go to the shaw mail website, look through the settings and look for some POP settings and some about not deleting emails.

E.g. Hotmail has an option that says
    "Don't let another program delete messages from Hotmail. (If your other program is set to "delete messages from the server," we'll simply move them to a special POP folder. They won't be deleted.)"

I have email accounts from gmail, hotmail and UofT and they are only marked as "read", never deleted, but even when marked as "read" both my desktop client and my playbook correctly downloads a copy of all emails.
    southlander likes this.
    10-25-12 07:39 PM
    Messages deleted on your PB should still be in your Trash folder when you get home.
    10-25-12 08:00 PM
    Messages deleted on your PB should still be in your Trash folder when you get home.
    If the PlayBook is deleting the messages, how on earth would that move them from Inbox to Trash in Outlook?

Anyway - on both the phone and PlayBook I just let the device get the mail settings automatically based on my email address. Why would it set up differently on each?
    10-25-12 08:13 PM
    If the PlayBook is deleting the messages, how on earth would that move them from Inbox to Trash in Outlook?

Well, if you don't actually check rather than just making assumptions, then you'll never really know.
    10-25-12 08:48 PM
    Well, if you don't actually check rather than just making assumptions, then you'll never really know.
    You're suggesting that the PlayBook has some magical power that lets it move messages in Outlook (POP3) from one folder to another.
    diegonei likes this.
    10-25-12 10:47 PM
    This Please help me udnerstand "Messages"-air_20121026_00000.jpg
    And Yes,the Playbook does have magical powers...but. You have to know how to harness them.
    10-25-12 11:28 PM
    No, I'm suggesting that deleting an email from an IMAP account with your PB does not remove the message from the server- it moves the message into the servers Trash folder, where it will stay until the Trash folder is purged by the server (how long depends upon the server). As far as Outlook is concerned, I don't use it, so I don't know. As far as POP accounts are concerned, I only have one, and deleting emails on my PB from my POP account does not remove messages from the server. What I am saying is that deleting an email with Messages does not mean that it is gone forever. It can still be accessed through your internet browser in the trash folder, and can be accessed through your PB in the accounts Trash folder, and if you wish, can be moved out of the Trash folder and back into your Inbox using your PB.
    10-25-12 11:37 PM
    I said Outlook, not Hotmail

Outlook on my PC is set up as a POP3 client with my mail server. My BlackBerry 9800 does the same and gives me an option to leave a copy on the server by letting me only delete the downloaded message. My PlayBook gives me no such option.
    10-25-12 11:51 PM
    I think the OP issue is that s/he connects in IMAP when s/he should connect in POP.
    With a POP account you should be allowed to locally delete without the server being hit.
    10-26-12 01:51 AM
    I'm not sure why it would set itself up in IMAP. It's a POP3 server, Outlook is using POP3 to connect and my phone also set up the accounts automatically in POP3 mode.
    10-26-12 01:55 AM
    Trust me on this one Paco. It does not work as you're suggesting. Really wish you were right on this one and I could use my business' emails on the PlayBook again.

EDIT: just tried setting it as POP and all and it still deletes them from the server. I remember it had a bonus bug. The BB would complain it couldn't retrieve the messages after I added the email go the PlayBook. I hope the same doesn't happen now...

All godaddy can tell me is that I must set the client to keep messages on the server, and I find no such options anywhere on getting Web client.

And ideas, oh fellow crackberry members?
    Last edited by diegonei; 10-26-12 at 09:45 AM.
    10-26-12 09:26 AM
    Well, then (I didn't dare say it earlier) do as I do: sideload Kaiten Mail, you'll have a real email program...

I for one renounced any hope for the PB mail. Isn't even able to obey a "connect only on request" setting.
    10-26-12 12:21 PM
    Doing some poking around, the automatic settings it applied has it connecting to wm.shaw.ca

I don't like the inconsistency here - my phone set itself up automatically as POP3, but somehow the PlayBook decided on the wm.shaw.ca server.

Weird.
    10-26-12 08:46 PM
    Here's how I deal with playbook mail... I created a new folder called Mailbox for mail I want removed from my Inbox but don't want deleted. When you are in your Messages Inbox swipe down, select emails to move into whatever folders you choose. Give it a try.
    10-29-12 10:18 AM