Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
    CrackBerry Newbie

thank you F2 for your response

after a lot of continuous stack charging my device finally started up.
    i am however facing another problem, it has been charging for the last 6 hrs and battery life has not moved from 0%.

has anyone found a solution to this problem and if so you you please point me in the right direction.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by jayss T View Post
    There are a few solutions and some are mentioned above. SO try the things I am mentioning below.... Let me know if it works .

Problem Scenario: 1. Blackberry wont boot or turn on, on pressing the power button, the red light stays for a few seconds and does not turn on 2. Sometimes you will see the red light followed by a green/ yellow light that blinks 5 times and does not turn on.

Reason: The main reason why both of the above things happen is because the battery is completely drained out, you could call it " Flat out". The problem with playbook is that the playbook wont charge if the playbook is Flat out drained. whereas other tablets or cellphones does....Playbook has to fix that issue. Meanwhile we do have a solution to go around that problem and that requires some patience. Some of the solutions mentioned in the previous comments indicate to charge it via computer.... "It doesn`t work" not if the battery is drained out flat.... so dont even bother trying it if u see the above mentioned problem.

Solution: try this step by step and this are 3 different solutions so one of this would definitely work. 1. Press the Power button and you will see the Playbook Logo ( chances for this are low ) 2. Press the power button and the volume together, if there is 1 % charge left there is a chance that it would boot on, when you see the logo, immediately charge the playbook ( chances are medium ) 3. This solution requires patience. plug the charger into the socket and plug the USB into the playbook, the red light stays for 8-10 secs. Remove the USb from the playbook wait for 2 to 5 sec and replug the usb back to the charger and wait till that red light comes and goes again. repeat this step atleast 20-30 times. you might be asking why? the only power that the playbook gets is when that red light is on when plugging the usb into the playbook, once that light goes the playbook is not charging.. so what you are doing here is forcing the playbook to get charged for 8 sec every time u plug it to the playbook....this way the playbook gets that power needed to boot. Once the Playbook has that power to boot. The red light stays and changes to green but this time it blinks slowly and keeps blinking. you would also see the playbook logo return.... this green light keeps blinking until there is enough charge for the playbook to stand on its own and then changes to a solid red until it gets fully charged. Hope this helps, I had to explain to you guy what the cause was and how it is overcome..... so let me know
    Just wanted to thank you for this. This worked for me where nothing else did. It took about 15 tries (or so) before I saw the battery icon and got that green light slowly flashing. This was certainly the easiest fix for the problem although it does take patience!

You are my hero for the day!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Helo there,

you might want to check the charger by using a device that supports the same charger.. like some cell phones support the same charger....if the cell phones are getting charged then its definitely your playbook that has the problem. if your cell phone or any device that you connected does not seem to be charging, try this one last step by switching to a differetn outlet.. if it still does not work then it is definitiely your charger.....
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by AudB View Post
    Just wanted to thank you for this. This worked for me where nothing else did. It took about 15 tries (or so) before I saw the battery icon and got that green light slowly flashing. This was certainly the easiest fix for the problem although it does take patience!

You are my hero for the day!
    I'm so confused! How do I plug the playbook to the usb AND the wall charger?

Some folks may be using both the usb and the separate rapid Travel charger which uses the magnetic connector which is the rightmost port.
    CrackBerry User

Hi all,
    Same battery issue here. Last night I went to sleep and left my playbook in standby mode (37% battery) in the morning it battery was dead. Now it don't charge.
    I try everything from stack charging to connect to the PC via Blackberry Desktop software, following RIM Support instructions, as I called them. Now it not even blink.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by SWAT-ron2k11 View Post
    I think i have the SOLUTION !!! You need to plug into the wall as soon as the red light turns on connected to your computer with the Blackberry desktop manger open.
    After it wont be able to connect so try to update.... now leave it connected to the computer for about 5-10 min. (Dont worry what the desktop manger says)

Come back and now connect it to the wall charger, the screen should turn on with the red battery signal and the led starts to glow yellow. And there it is it charging. you just have to wait.

How do i know it works i just did it. If this works for you leave a reply or thanks so i know. Good luck !
    Thanks SWAT-ron2k11
    this fixed my problem for one of our users here at work. After doing endless tricks today this solved it.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Eureka!

Make sure your wall charger is ok. I found the one with the rotating prongs to be an issue. You sometimes need to wiggle it, because the rotating prongs may lose contact. Try it on your phone and see if it shows it charging. If not, then wiggle it some more. Could be the wall charger.

Ahhhh!!!! Thank you for questioning the obvious. After days of doing this plugging-unplugging business, I finally plugged the PB charger into my phone and there was no juice. Now, with a new charger, it's giving me the charge icon. Nice.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    687 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B60AA67

Quote Originally Posted by jayss T View Post
    There are a few solutions and some are mentioned above. SO try the things I am mentioning below.... Let me know if it works .

Problem Scenario: 1. Blackberry wont boot or turn on, on pressing the power button, the red light stays for a few seconds and does not turn on 2. Sometimes you will see the red light followed by a green/ yellow light that blinks 5 times and does not turn on.

Reason: The main reason why both of the above things happen is because the battery is completely drained out, you could call it " Flat out". The problem with playbook is that the playbook wont charge if the playbook is Flat out drained. whereas other tablets or cellphones does....Playbook has to fix that issue. Meanwhile we do have a solution to go around that problem and that requires some patience. Some of the solutions mentioned in the previous comments indicate to charge it via computer.... "It doesn`t work" not if the battery is drained out flat.... so dont even bother trying it if u see the above mentioned problem.

Solution: try this step by step and this are 3 different solutions so one of this would definitely work. 1. Press the Power button and you will see the Playbook Logo ( chances for this are low ) 2. Press the power button and the volume together, if there is 1 % charge left there is a chance that it would boot on, when you see the logo, immediately charge the playbook ( chances are medium ) 3. This solution requires patience. plug the charger into the socket and plug the USB into the playbook, the red light stays for 8-10 secs. Remove the USb from the playbook wait for 2 to 5 sec and replug the usb back to the charger and wait till that red light comes and goes again. repeat this step atleast 20-30 times. you might be asking why? the only power that the playbook gets is when that red light is on when plugging the usb into the playbook, once that light goes the playbook is not charging.. so what you are doing here is forcing the playbook to get charged for 8 sec every time u plug it to the playbook....this way the playbook gets that power needed to boot. Once the Playbook has that power to boot. The red light stays and changes to green but this time it blinks slowly and keeps blinking. you would also see the playbook logo return.... this green light keeps blinking until there is enough charge for the playbook to stand on its own and then changes to a solid red until it gets fully charged. Hope this helps, I had to explain to you guy what the cause was and how it is overcome..... so let me know

Thanks for this! Option #3 worked like a charm. I've been trying to get my PB on for days now! i was starting to lose hope!

I was forced to use my iPad, and I must say that it does a much better job at battery management when the device is in standby mode. When the Playbook is on overnight & not in use, it uses a of a lot of battery power. iPad may lose 1-2% per night.

Love my PB, but they need to do better when it comes to standby battery life.

Keith

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kthhrrsn View Post
    Thanks for this! Option #3 worked like a charm. I've been trying to get my PB on for days now! i was starting to lose hope!

I was forced to use my iPad, and I must say that it does a much better job at battery management when the device is in standby mode. When the Playbook is on overnight & not in use, it uses a of a lot of battery power. iPad may lose 1-2% per night.

Love my PB, but they need to do better when it comes to standby battery life.

Keith

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Glad you got it working.

But regarding overnight standby - what apps do you run? How much do you lose overnight? My original 32gig pb would only last about 2-3 days if NOT used, so Standby power loss was too high. I Wiped it clean and did not have anything running except Battery Guru and it still suffered loss. Rim replaced it on rma.

Now some apps can cause power loss including, I believe, Native Email if set to Manual Sync.
    CrackBerry User

Default How I fixed the dead flat battery problem

Hi, just wanted to share how I fixed the dead flat battery problem.

Warnings : it involves removing the plastic back case !... So if you do not feel comfortable in disassembling your PB, skip this post
    It worked for me, no warranty it will work for you.

Of course, I tried several methods described in previous posts, stack charging, hard reset...none worked. DM was not detecting my PB.

In my case, after plugin in the wall charger, red light was going on for a few seconds then off. Have to wait about 1 hour, unplugged, to see red light going back on after replugging in.
    I could have it replaced (just bought 4 month ago), but stored data was more important

So I decided to open it...My first idea was to remove the LiPo battery pack and charge it with an external lab regulated power supply. Forget about it...not as straightforward as your car battery, with red positive and black negative poles !

To remove the back panel, follow these instructions :

You just need to remove the back panel. If you do it carefully, with the right tools, you won't harm your PB.

Once removed, you should see 2 battery packs either side of a central mainboard. Locate the battery connector and its 2 screws (see attached pictures).
    Edit:this connector is common for the 2 batteries packs.

Remove the 2 screws, and carefully lift up the battery connector. Connect the wall charger, you should see the red led glowing and the screen displaying a charge icon.
    Reconnect (firmly) the batterry connector. You should see the green led blinking slowly, meaning your PB is charging.

At this stage, your PB has exited the buggy charge syndrom (!), and you can put back the 2 screws (take care the lower screw is near of the rapid charger magnetic socket, could attract the screw and make a short in the pcb).

Leave the wall charger connected, in my case, it took one night long to charge.

After charged, re clip the back case beginning with the lower side (hdmi/usb/rapid charger connectors).

Hope it helps !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Playbook Won't Turn on and Won't debricked?-close-up-1.jpg   Playbook Won't Turn on and Won't debricked?-pb-back1.jpg  
    Last edited by eljipe; 07-30-2012 at 05:05 AM.
    Thanked by:
    gravymonster (10-18-2012) 

Quote Originally Posted by eljipe View Post
    Hi, just wanted to share how I fixed the dead flat battery problem.

Warnings : it involves removing the plastic back case !... So if you do not feel comfortable in disassembling your PB, skip this post
    It worked for me, no warranty it will work for you.

Of course, I tried several methods described in previous posts, stack charging, hard reset...none worked. DM was not detecting my PB.

In my case, after plugin in the wall charger, red light was going on for a few seconds then off. Have to wait about 1 hour, unplugged, to see red light going back on after replugging in.
    I could have it replaced (just bought 4 month ago), but stored data was more important

So I decided to open it...My first idea was to remove the LiPo battery pack and charge it with an external lab regulated power supply. Forget about it...not as straightforward as your car battery, with red positive and black negative poles !

To remove the back panel, follow these instructions :

You just need to remove the back panel. If you do it carefully, with the right tools, you won't harm your PB.

Once removed, you should see 2 battery packs either side of a central mainboard. Locate the battery connector and its 2 screws (see attached pictures).

Remove the 2 screws, and carefully lift up the battery connector. Connect the wall charger, you should see the red led glowing and the screen displaying a charge icon.
    Reconnect (firmly) the batterry connector. You should see the green led blinking slowly, meaning your PB is charging.

At this stage, your PB has exited the buggy charge syndrom (!), and you can put back the 2 screws (take care the lower screw is near of the rapid charger magnetic socket, could attract the screw and make a short in the pcb).

Leave the wall charger connected, in my case, it took one night long to charge.

After charged, re clip the back case beginning with the lower side (hdmi/usb/rapid charger connectors).

Hope it helps !
    There have been a few posts about going this far (removing battery or, at least, its connector) and getting it going. Since you mentioned "charging using regulated charger" you sound like you understand this thing better than most. What/Why does removing that one battery do that then allows the pb to charge?

And since the photos are not complete, I'm curious, if you know, what or how is that second battery attached to the pb since I don't see any apparent screws?

Thanks in advance
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by F2 View Post
    There have been a few posts about going this far (removing battery or, at least, its connector) and getting it going.
    Really?....(Searched but not found, please specify posts, I would like to check is other users get exactly same behavior).

Since you mentioned "charging using regulated charger power supply" you sound like you understand this thing better than most. What/Why does removing that one battery do that then allows the pb to charge?

And since the photos are not complete, I'm curious, if you know, what or how is that second battery attached to the pb since I don't see any apparent screws?
    Thanks in advance
    The photos are complete , the battery connector is common for the 2 cells.
    (and it is the only connector, screwed, designed to drain a significant power).
    The 2 cell are connected together via a flat cable. In the disassembly video, at 8mn11s, you can see the baterry metal frame with the 2 cells and just 1 power connector.

I'm not a great CB searcher. I just recall reading a few posts where others have mentioned going to the "extreme" step of opening the case and disconnecting the battery. That should not take away from another post where it is raised and accompanied by photos.

I was more curious about how the second battery was held in place.

But do you know why "breaking the circuit" allows this method to work? Some capacitor or internal switch or something that is altered by removing the connector and then allows the charging? Or just that the power (usb plug) is going to the circuitry and not "wasting" energy trying to force the battery/batteries to choke down power - you might notice I was in life sciences and not an electrical engineer!
    Last edited by F2; 07-30-2012 at 12:04 PM.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by F2 View Post
    I'm not a great CB searcher.
    What???? A CB Genius of Geniuses not a great CB searcher ???..... Ok, just kidding ! My concern was to find out if I've been just lucky resurecting my PB, or if it could be a "standard" solution.

The reason why "breaking the circuit" allows this method to work?...Well, I'm not a RIM engineer (but perharps only the chinese manufacturer of the PB knows the right answer...^_^ ).

Here's my idea about it, comments/corrections welcomed :

Reading previous posts in this thread gives some hints : The charging process seems to be controlled by software. Even with a apparently "dead flat" battery, there is enought residual energy to initiate the boot (solid red light). Once boot process is initiated, a specific boot stage consumes too much power and, given the low bat condition, the boot process may get stucked.

With a real "dead flat' battery the boot process branch to a different charge routine.

So the problem may be related with a wrong evaluation of battery remaining energy.

Removing battery conector (i.e. breaking the circuit) resets all circuits...When pluging in the wall charger, the battery (unconnected actually) is seen as fully empty (no voltage at all). The "dead flat" specific charge process then takes place : a charge logo appears on the screen, followed shortly after by the slowly green led glowing.

Reconnecting the battery connector allows the charge process to go on its normal way.
    CrackBerry User

So I have been doing the trickle charge plug in red light take out plug back in 2-3 seconds later, the best I got was when it loaded a picture to plug in to charge the baterry and the light was steady green, I plugged it in and then it was going for about 30 seconds and then it went back to red light then 5 greens
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    55,950 Global Posts

Don't know if this will help or not.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperViseTechBB View Post
    Got the instruction for fix BlackBerry PlayBook doesn't boot up, flashing one long LED red light and 4 yellow-green light:
    1. Install BlackBerry Desktop Manager latest version for Mac. You can get it at BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop Software - BlackBerry Software at BlackBerry.com (The one you download must be for Mac)
    2. Download the 2.0.1.358 Full OS QCFM BAR.
    3. Copy the QCFM.BAR and QCFM.SIGNED to folder [user]/Library/Application Support/BlackBerryDesktop/Device Applications/9933ff03e18e0ae4ea987b8f063258a5322704fc (You may create new folder, the folder is hidden, how to unhide? Read whole reply)
    4. Open the BlackBerry Desktop Software
    5. Connect your "unusable/bricked" PlayBook to Mac using right USB Cable w/out hubs (direct connect to hardware)
    6. BDM will prompt "Error communicating with PlayBook", click "Repair"
    7. BDM will Check for Update and ask you confirm repair, click Repair or Yes
    8. If you don't copy the 2.0.1.358 Full OS QCFM BAR to the folder, it will downloading for about 1 hour according to your speed. The Full OS size is (don't get a hard attack!) 2.48 GB for the QCFM.BAR and QCFM.SIGNED. If you copied the file, BDM will skip the download process and jump to installing
    9. The installation will take about 30+ minutes. Let's take a coffee and relax
    10. Make sure you don't touch your PlayBook even with your nails! If one error occurs, will difficult to re-connect because you need to re-connect for about 6-7 time until BDM recognize it.
    11. BDM will says your device is ready! Disconnect your device and click 'Close'
    12. Your PlayBook will stay flashing the long red light and 4 short light, ignore it
    13. Connect your PlayBook to the Wall Electric Outlet using the original charger and wait until tomorrow morning (it will take a long time because bricked PlayBook needs to be initialized, BDM doesn't do it if it's a repair on Mac, so the initializing of OS is not yet done. Let it charge and if the indicator not flashing yellow during charging, it's OK
    14. Wake Up! It's morning! Disconnect your PlayBook from the electric outlet and try to turn on the device. If the device's LED doesn't on, try to connect again to electric outlet until the LED flash red and quick disconnect it, Voila! It's Welcome screen!
    15. Enjoy your Brand New PlayBook with the latest OS!

How to unhide folders on Mac:
    1. Open Terminal
    2. Enter this code: defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
    3. Then enter this code: killall Finder
    4. The Finder should relaunched and you can see hidden files.
    5. To back hide all folders enter this code: defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
    6. Then enter again: killall Finder
    NB: The codes are Case-Sensitive!

You must put the Full OS, if you install Core OS, it will make the PlayBook 101% Bricked and you need to see your PlayBook box, then take a card written "PlayBook * year warranty" and go to the place you bought the PlayBook and say: "Here's the card and bring me back my PlayBook for 5 hours!"

Why is ask you 2.0.1.358? Because while set-up PlayBook, it will ask for Software Update, the latest software update on 24 May 2012 is 2.0.1.358, so you don't need to download the updates, just need to download 24 MB for the region config.

Hope this helps!
    Best regards,
    -SuperViseTechBB
    Any questions? Reply me or add my PIN: 2208BF1A
    Crap I see that's for a mac now.

Edit: to add

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...ListHelperImpl

another

Playbook won't start and solution
    Options

06-15-2012 01:54 PM

Hi all,

I would like to post my experiences and potential solutions for dead batteries:

1. Playbook suddenly wouldn't start up when I pressed the power on button. Nothing showed up on the screen; the "charging" light didn't light up; totally no reaction. Weird thing was that the battery was still 2/3 charged the last time when I used the playbook. Not sure why the battery suddenly went dead.

2. I then connected the playbook to my laptop via the USB port. The "charging" light went red for about 15 seconds, it then became green/yellow and blinked for 5 times and then stopped. Nothing on the screen. Pressed the power button, playbook didn't turn on.

3. I then connected the playbook to the wall trying to charge it. The red light again showed up for about 15 seconds and stopped. Nothing on the screen. Pressed the power button, playbook didn't turn on.

4. I then tried stack charging both to the laptop and to the wall. Tried both 2-min-charging-and-2-min-off and 2-min-charging-and-8-seconds-off, both for 10x repetitions. As usual, during the 2 min of "charging", the "charging" light was only red during the first 15 seconds or so. After spending hours on stack charging, I still couldn't turn on the playbook. At this point I wasn't sure if the playbook was actually charging during those 1 min 45 seconds intervals when the red light WAS NOT on.

5. So I tried something different. Instead of plugging the charger to the wall directly, I plugged it to a SurgeMaster(which has a Reset/off button). One end of the charger was connected to the playbook, and the other end to the SurgeMaster. Then, I did the stack charging again. This time I kept the charger attached to the playbook as well as to the SurgeMaster the whole time, but turned on and off the power supply via the Reset/Off button on the SurgeMaster - I turned on the power supply and the "charging" light became red on the playbook for about 15 seconds, I then cut the power supply and immediately turned it back on(via SurgeMaster Reset/off button), and the light on the playbook because red again. Initially during the first 5-6 repetitions, nothing showed up on the screen on the playbook. Then all of a sudden the "red battery charging icon with a lightning symbol" appeared in the middle of the playbook. The "charging" light then turned green/yellow continuously. At this point I knew the playbook was in fact charging continuously. After 10 min or so, I was able to turn on the playbook.

6. After the playbook was back on, the battery level remained at 0% for 20min but was still charging. It then slowly moved back up to 2%, 4% etc.

7. So my thinking is that during stack charging, unless the "charging" light is on, it's not in fact charging. To me at least, the 2min charging intervals didn't work because the light was only on for the first 15 seconds or so. Using a surgeMaster helped because I could then immediately turn on the power supply after cutting the supply. It also shortened each interval to only 15 seconds(for as long as while the charging light was red).

Hope this helps.....
    From http://supportforums.blackberry.com/...n/td-p/1768151
    Last edited by kbz1960; 07-30-2012 at 07:42 PM.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    I'm no more qualified to say so because I own a BlackBerry
    CrackBerry User

What do I do from there
    CrackBerry User

FOUND A QUICK FIX HOPE IT HELPSSS

WOW, i tried EVERY SINGLE Step out there and the one step that worked ... was HOLDING down the power key for 20 seconds, after 20 Seconds do not let go of the power button and plug in the wall charger, and then let go... should get a steady red light for about 10 seconds, then the battery icon with lightning bolt should appear.. the it will charge with just a flashing green..... lol wasted 4 hrs for nothing hope this works for everyone else
    Thanked by:
    donniederamos (07-31-2012) 
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by reinkarnation View Post
    FOUND A QUICK FIX HOPE IT HELPSSS

WOW, i tried EVERY SINGLE Step out there and the one step that worked ... was HOLDING down the power key for 20 seconds, after 20 Seconds do not let go of the power button and plug in the wall charger, and then let go... should get a steady red light for about 10 seconds, then the battery icon with lightning bolt should appear.. the it will charge with just a flashing green..... lol wasted 4 hrs for nothing hope this works for everyone else
    OMG.. THIS GUY IS A GENIUUUUUUUUS!!!!!! My Playbook just resurrected from the dead!! Thank you very much!!!!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Disconnecting the Battery worked for me - Only took a couple of minutes to take apart and put back together. Thanks for the tip.
    CrackBerry Newbie

After trying a million things, I ran
    cfp.exe resetqnxosregion
    with it plugged into the computer
    and it switched from double blink red to solid and allowed me to charge again.
    CrackBerry Newbie

After trying a million things, I ran
    cfp.exe resetqnxosregion
    with it plugged into the computer
    and it switched from double blink red to solid and allowed me to charge again.

Search here for where to download cfp
    CrackBerry User

Default Re: Playbook Won't Turn on and Won't debricked?

I drained my PlayBook all the way previously and was able to use some combination of button presses with plugging it in while hopping on one foot, etc. but the latest time this happened, none of the tricks from the forums worked for me. Eventually there was no LED response at all. After a couple of weeks of messing around with it, I called RIM and after unsuccessfully trying to turn it on with the power and volume up keys pressed simultaneously, they started a ticket for me and overnighted a return box to me. I still delayed after receiving it because I knew I would lose whatever data that hadn't been backed up and that was another of my problems--turning off bluetooth and wifi and other fixes for not backing up hadn't worked for probably 9 months. I finally gave up and sent it in and they replaced it immediately with a brand new PlayBook. I bought the 64GB model on launch and the power button itself was depressed and had no travel left in it. I think that's why they were quick to replace it. There was no cost to me, other than the loss of precious irreplaceable video and audio clips of my kids. So if nothing else works, send it in. If they end up wanting to charge you for the fix or replacement they will contact you in advance so you can make your decision at that point. By the way, the power button on the new one is nicely raised and easy to press, like the other one should have been from day one. I couldn't walk away from my $699 investment and I'm glad I didn't. Now to fix the backup issue on the new one.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Re: Playbook Won't Turn on and Won't debricked?

I took apart the battery like in the video above and it worked like a charm. It wasn't under warranty anymore so I figured I had nothing to lose. I wish I'd read further down in the thread and maybe tried the post from @reinkarnation first. Either way its working now.

A note, the nice rubber lining on the back of my mom's playbook is a little mangled around the edge of now. It doesn't really look bad but it doesn't feel as nice to hold in the hand as it did before. The video makes it look way easier to get the case off than it really is.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast