Hi all,

I did a lot of search before posting this. As like many others, my playbook went that randomly after its battery got depleted.

Now I can't turn it on. It won't charge (I tried ~72hrs charging.)

I tried many debricking methods given here.

DM sees the playbook, it installs the OS relatively fast, but then it stucks at the 2nd step: connecting to the device and it gives this error "desktop loader is unable to connect to the device"

What could be the problem?

I tried this method 5 times, and all failed same way.

Thanks in advance!
    05-08-12 12:59 PM
    Hmmmm, try another computer. It seems from the UI that you are using an old windows OS. Try it on windows 7, with the 7.0.0.58 BDM. When it is off, plug in, and click update. If that doesn't work, you may have to send it in to RIM for repairs
    05-08-12 01:28 PM
    Hmmmm, try another computer. It seems from the UI that you are using an old windows OS. Try it on windows 7, with the 7.0.0.58 BDM. When it is off, plug in, and click update. If that doesn't work, you may have to send it in to RIM for repairs
    Thanks for your suggestions.
    That's exactly how I am doing it. My laptop is Windows7, I prefer to use the classic windows UI.
    iatedeadpeople likes this.
    05-08-12 01:32 PM
    Did you enter the password? Have you tried the stack charging?
    05-08-12 01:38 PM
    Did you enter the password? Have you tried the stack charging?

Yes, my PB was password protected, you can't install the OS without entering it.
    I don't know about stack charging. What exactly is it?

Thanks!
    05-08-12 01:47 PM
    Using the wall charger plug it in for 6 cycles of charge no charge, for 2 minutes each, chargining for never more than 2 minutes.
    jafobabe likes this.
    05-08-12 05:31 PM
    I never got stack charging to work.

CFP will fix it, search the forums for info.

Alternatively I'll buy it off you
    05-09-12 12:56 AM
    problem of my own here..

my friend's PB (which i've promised to help fix) won't turn on either.
    i plug it in to the wall outlets and the red light turns on, but then nothing.

when i plug it into a pc, the red light turns on followed by 5 blinking white lights.

i can't get the damned thing to turn on. i'll try the stack charging, but i'm not feeling super confident.
    05-09-12 01:31 AM
    jasperlin, sevimli how does yours storys ended? I am in the same problem
    05-13-12 03:32 PM
    I also did not know about "stack charging" refered by kbz1960.

I to have a playbook that will not charge. When using the supplied charger I got the red light for a few seconds then it would not charge. When I tried to plug the playbook on a computer, red light then flashing green/yellow light. Could not do anything.

So the weekend passed by and since Friday I did not have the playbook plugged to a charger at all. This morning I decided to plug it to a quick charger and for some strange reason...it is now charging...

I guess waiting a bit made the difference

Hope this helps.
    05-14-12 06:05 AM
    If you are having trouble with your DM move it to another drive, eject that drive. Then download DM again from BB PlayBook support site. Start fresh and see if this helps. I had a similar problem. Also if you are able to , turn off password .
    Last edited by Apelles1; 05-15-12 at 07:21 AM.
    05-15-12 07:16 AM
    Stack Charging:

"stack" charging, 6 cycles of charge no charge, for 2 minutes each, charging for never more than 2 minutes.
    Then put it on the charger and let it charge.. will take around 2hrs.

Edit: charge for 2 minutes, take off for at least 2 minutes. Do this for at least 6 times.

When you finally get the red light, put it on a Rapid Charger, or it you don't have one, use the USB Cable that came with the Playbook..... leave it off and alone for at least 2-3 hours... longer on the USB charger.

Hope this helps
    Crdit to jafobabe
    Last edited by irsan; 05-16-12 at 06:18 AM.
    jafobabe likes this.
    05-15-12 07:38 PM
    Quite a few people on CB have suggested the following:

Hold Power, Volume Up, Volume Down for 30 seconds until the solid red light changes (to something else, I forget what it is).

From what I remember, a RIM employee said this happens because the PlayBook needs some battery life to initiate some charging mechanism. So maybe there's a reserve that needs to be activated like this.

Please confirm if this works because I left my PlayBook at residence for this long weekend and am expecting to come back to a depleted PlayBook as well =(

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    05-17-12 05:52 PM
    I think i have the SOLUTION !!! You need to plug into the wall as soon as the red light turns on connected to your computer with the Blackberry desktop manger open.
    After it wont be able to connect so try to update.... now leave it connected to the computer for about 5-10 min. (Dont worry what the desktop manger says)

Come back and now connect it to the wall charger, the screen should turn on with the red battery signal and the led starts to glow yellow. And there it is it charging. you just have to wait.

How do i know it works i just did it. If this works for you leave a reply or thanks so i know. Good luck !
    NiNo_LoCo and luizadeaquino like this.
    05-20-12 12:13 PM
    TIPS FOR DEAD BATTERY ISSUE:

I have had similar experience a few times now after drained battery. ALWAYS been able to get my Playbook back following these tips! Don't PANIC! Don't call RIM! Don't screw things up more by doing the wrong thing! Try these FIRST:

1. DO NOT connect Playbook to Computer

- Won't help, USB power source is weaker than wall plug source
    - Computer won't be able to talk to a battery-depleted Playbook
    - Waste of time and frustration, no need to "reload OS"
    - You DO NOT need to "wipe", waste of time! Has NOTHING to do with it.

2. Try NOT to let your Playbook Battery deplete

- Prevention is the best strategy
    - Plug in when 10-15% charge remaining***
    - Any lower and Playbook may automatically SHUT DOWN

***NOTE: When you try and plug in to charge (wall socket NOT usb), you may notice the "charge icon" lightning bold not appearing!!!! So your battery will still deplete even when charged into the wall. You MUST MAKE SURE that the "lightning bolt" appears on your battery indicator, showing that it is indeed CHARGING. If it does not appear, plug your wall charger in and out a few times, or wiggle it. Wait and look, may take 10-20 seconds for charging icon to appear. If not, try again.

I have noticed that the "flip plug" type wall charger (the one with the swiveling 2 prongs) may have a poor contact, as the prongs swivel into position and then contact the base contacts inside the transformer. When you "wiggle" the plug in your socket (bending the prongs) you may hear a crackling noise, and at night you will even see some SPARKS showing when the swiveling prongs touch the internal contacts. This may be part of the problem.

Also, BE PATIENT... It may take a few seconds to indicate the "lightning bolt" on the battery symbol to show it is charging. It does not always show this immediately. Or it may show for a second, then disappear. You MUST make sure it is showing, then you can put your Playbook on Standby mode... Don't touch anything! You can periodically check by tapping your screen and seeing if battery charge is going up and the lightning symbol is showing. I do this at night, just leave my Playbook on standby overnight and charging.

3. If you Battery is DEAD and won't charge...

- DO NOT PLUG it into your computer (see #1 above)
    - DO PLUG it into the wall charger a few minutes, then UNPLUG...
    - Do the "reset" either hold Power only,
    or Power+Volume Up+Volume Down for 10-15 seconds (while not plugged in)
    - Plug into wall charger again, see if charges. If not, unplug, let it sit a few minutes
    - Then plug in again, and repeat previous 2 steps.
    - You may get NO blink at all, or Red Blink with 5 Flashing Green... Keep repeating.
    - Eventually will show Red blink for a long time, then green/orange showing charge.
    - Avoid booting up Playbook for a few minutes as it will draw power again...
    Let it charge. After some time you can boot up and then let it sit in
    standby while charging.

4. Finally, AVOID this whole mess by following step #2 above.

- But if you forget, and your Playbook does drain, you CAN bring it back
    - No need to PANIC
    - No need to call RIM

I am convinced that this is a battery reserve software issue, and that perhaps a future SOFTWARE UPDATE will increase the threshold battery level at which the Playbook automatically powers down, to avoid this problem (so we don't have to think about it). For example, remember I suggest recharging at 15%? Well if RIM simply makes the "low battery automatic shutoff" to work at 15% instead of 10% or 5%, then your battery level will never go so low that it will enter this deep sleep cycle, preventing it altogether.

However, that means the "working time" for the Playbook will appear to be less hours because you are using it from 100% down to 15%, instead of 100% down to 5% (that extra 15% down to 5% level may add another hour of light use, beefing up the specs on battery life).

As far as the wall-charger goes, not sure about the situation there, and why the "lightning bolt" doesn't always show when you plug in. Still have to test this out and see if it happens consistently, or only when my battery is <15%. Once again, I believe it is likely a software issue, since my wall plug adapter seems to charge everything else perfectly fine, whether I "wiggle it" or not.
    05-21-12 10:29 AM
    I will try this for sure if my new one bricks, but foremost I will stress to the household to not ever let the battery go completely dead. It's what started this whole mess in the first place.
    05-21-12 02:51 PM
    TIPS FOR DEAD BATTERY ISSUE:

I have had similar experience a few times now after drained battery. ALWAYS been able to get my Playbook back following these tips! Don't PANIC! Don't call RIM! Don't screw things up more by doing the wrong thing! Try these FIRST:

1. DO NOT connect Playbook to Computer

- Won't help, USB power source is weaker than wall plug source
    - Computer won't be able to talk to a battery-depleted Playbook
    - Waste of time and frustration, no need to "reload OS"
    - You DO NOT need to "wipe", waste of time! Has NOTHING to do with it.

2. Try NOT to let your Playbook Battery deplete

- Prevention is the best strategy
    - Plug in when 10-15% charge remaining***
    - Any lower and Playbook may automatically SHUT DOWN

***NOTE: When you try and plug in to charge (wall socket NOT usb), you may notice the "charge icon" lightning bold not appearing!!!! So your battery will still deplete even when charged into the wall. You MUST MAKE SURE that the "lightning bolt" appears on your battery indicator, showing that it is indeed CHARGING. If it does not appear, plug your wall charger in and out a few times, or wiggle it. Wait and look, may take 10-20 seconds for charging icon to appear. If not, try again.

I have noticed that the "flip plug" type wall charger (the one with the swiveling 2 prongs) may have a poor contact, as the prongs swivel into position and then contact the base contacts inside the transformer. When you "wiggle" the plug in your socket (bending the prongs) you may hear a crackling noise, and at night you will even see some SPARKS showing when the swiveling prongs touch the internal contacts. This may be part of the problem.

Also, BE PATIENT... It may take a few seconds to indicate the "lightning bolt" on the battery symbol to show it is charging. It does not always show this immediately. Or it may show for a second, then disappear. You MUST make sure it is showing, then you can put your Playbook on Standby mode... Don't touch anything! You can periodically check by tapping your screen and seeing if battery charge is going up and the lightning symbol is showing. I do this at night, just leave my Playbook on standby overnight and charging.

3. If you Battery is DEAD and won't charge...

- DO NOT PLUG it into your computer (see #1 above)
    - DO PLUG it into the wall charger a few minutes, then UNPLUG...
    - Do the "reset" either hold Power only,
    or Power+Volume Up+Volume Down for 10-15 seconds (while not plugged in)
    - Plug into wall charger again, see if charges. If not, unplug, let it sit a few minutes
    - Then plug in again, and repeat previous 2 steps.
    - You may get NO blink at all, or Red Blink with 5 Flashing Green... Keep repeating.
    - Eventually will show Red blink for a long time, then green/orange showing charge.
    - Avoid booting up Playbook for a few minutes as it will draw power again...
    Let it charge. After some time you can boot up and then let it sit in
    standby while charging.

4. Finally, AVOID this whole mess by following step #2 above.

- But if you forget, and your Playbook does drain, you CAN bring it back
    - No need to PANIC
    - No need to call RIM

I am convinced that this is a battery reserve software issue, and that perhaps a future SOFTWARE UPDATE will increase the threshold battery level at which the Playbook automatically powers down, to avoid this problem (so we don't have to think about it). For example, remember I suggest recharging at 15%? Well if RIM simply makes the "low battery automatic shutoff" to work at 15% instead of 10% or 5%, then your battery level will never go so low that it will enter this deep sleep cycle, preventing it altogether.

However, that means the "working time" for the Playbook will appear to be less hours because you are using it from 100% down to 15%, instead of 100% down to 5% (that extra 15% down to 5% level may add another hour of light use, beefing up the specs on battery life).

As far as the wall-charger goes, not sure about the situation there, and why the "lightning bolt" doesn't always show when you plug in. Still have to test this out and see if it happens consistently, or only when my battery is <15%. Once again, I believe it is likely a software issue, since my wall plug adapter seems to charge everything else perfectly fine, whether I "wiggle it" or not.

Agree! Could never understand the logic behind solving every issue with a de-brick, wipe, slice, dice, etc. Personally, I'm of the opinion that the weakest link is the mini-usb charging port...easily damaged and should not be the source for your charging needs. I use the magnetic connected travel charger, and only use the usb port when doing my weekly back up and sync.
    jafobabe likes this.
    05-22-12 02:21 AM
    I think i have the SOLUTION !!! You need to plug into the wall as soon as the red light turns on connected to your computer with the Blackberry desktop manger open.
    After it wont be able to connect so try to update.... now leave it connected to the computer for about 5-10 min. (Dont worry what the desktop manger says)

Come back and now connect it to the wall charger, the screen should turn on with the red battery signal and the led starts to glow yellow. And there it is it charging. you just have to wait.

How do i know it works i just did it. If this works for you leave a reply or thanks so i know. Good luck !
    YOU ARE AWESOME! After trying EVERYTHING I read about this situation for TWO days, I was ready to give up and go back to the store get another PlayBook. I had tried your solution before (after reading it here) but the update option wouldn't pop up and the red light would go out and the connection would be lost. But then I thought, well, if it worked for you, I should give it another try, specially cause I was out of options. So I checked the box to start the Device Manager when I plug the PlayBook. Previously, when I tried and failed, the manager was already opened, but somehow only when I checked that option the process happened like you said. And then I put it to charge and the same red light came and went out... And I was miserable... BUT AFTER A FEW SECONDS THE BATTERY IMAGE WAS THERE! *O* And then came the slow blinking green light. I was so happy. I AM SO HAPPY. And it's all thanks to you. Seriously, you are my hero. I looked everywhere and you were the only one to give the right answer. Thank you SO much.
    05-24-12 07:38 PM
    YOU ARE AWESOME! After trying EVERYTHING I read about this situation for TWO days, I was ready to give up and go back to the store get another PlayBook. I had tried your solution before (after reading it here) but the update option wouldn't pop up and the red light would go out and the connection would be lost. But then I thought, well, if it worked for you, I should give it another try, specially cause I was out of options. So I checked the box to start the Device Manager when I plug the PlayBook. Previously, when I tried and failed, the manager was already opened, but somehow only when I checked that option the process happened like you said. And then I put it to charge and the same red light came and went out... And I was miserable... BUT AFTER A FEW SECONDS THE BATTERY IMAGE WAS THERE! *O* And then came the slow blinking green light. I was so happy. I AM SO HAPPY. And it's all thanks to you. Seriously, you are my hero. I looked everywhere and you were the only one to give the right answer. Thank you SO much.
    I tried same and now there's absolutely no response from playbook. Wall charger or usb, absolutely no response from led or lcd.
    05-25-12 09:19 AM
    Try stack charge method where you don't use the computer at all, but plug wall charger in and out several times. In this method you plug in wall for 20 seconds, then unplug 2 minutes, and repeat again. After each cycle, press and hold power button for 20 seconds and see if anything happens.

When you plug in wall, you should at least see a red light for a few second, even if turns off (or if followed by 5 green flashes).

Make sure your wall charger is ok. I found the one with the rotating prongs to be an issue. You sometimes need to wiggle it, because the rotating prongs may lose contact. Try it on your phone and see if it shows it charging. If not, then wiggle it some more. Could be the wall charger.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    05-26-12 05:56 AM
    Agree on sensitivity of the USB connection. That is what failed on mine - and when RIM notified me it was repaired they added a little nasty note that I should take more care when plugging something into the USB outlet (we won't discuss my reaction to that little note ). I'm going to avoid the issue from now on and use the rapid charger.
    05-28-12 06:56 AM
    I just had this issue. I couldn't get it to do anything with it being plugged into the wall, computer would not detect it, charging for hours did nothing, Stack charging didn't work.

took the back cover off, Disconnected the battery. Let it sit for a bit. Plugged it back in and boom computer detects it and the led comes on now.

Now its charging and the light is glowing yellow.

Its out of warranty as we got it on launch.

WHOOOT!

Update 1: Well its reactive... it just won't charge.. Wondering if the battery is dead.

Update 2: disconnect battery for 20 seconds and connected it and let it charge. Battery is full as of this morning.
    Last edited by adrenaline_x; 06-08-12 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Updates
    06-07-12 02:43 PM
    As a side note, I fixed the flush power button too. I folded a posted note and tore a strip of it and place it behind the circut board and the plastic housing.. It is now a raised power button.
    06-07-12 03:02 PM
    edby, I tried. Its not working for me. Worse come to worse, after trying the yoga instructions about holding 3 buttons down together (really hard to do on a playbook), I tried the stacking which finished the job and killed my playbook dead.

I've had the playbook for less than a year. Bought it in september. I like it but I guess I have to concede, its a poorly designed product. RIM seems to have gone out of its way to build a total piece of crap.

The slow boot up times, needing to run software during the charging process, etc, etc.

I'm sorry. RIM just doesn't give a crap about quality any more. Their products suck. Sad.
    06-11-12 06:27 PM
    playbook was at 100% when I went to bed was at 54% when I woke up with BT off. Wifi was still on but shouldn't be that bad. Just did a hard reset and hope this alleviates the problem. Battery Guru says its at 89% battery health. The device is 6 months old
    06-15-12 05:05 PM
79 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD