This is very confusing

The USB cable charges my Z10 100-STL2 and PlayBook straight from the mains charger but when I connect to my laptop, only the phone takes a charge.

I have just had my laptop back from repair with a larger hardrive, and its difficult to see why this is happening.

Both my Z10 100-STL2 and PlayBook have opened and keep opening successfully my BlackBerry Link.
    I have even back-up both devices tomorrow but while my PlayBook had been linking and backing up, there's no indication of my PlayBook being battery charged.

Has anyone had this problem.

jtvberry
    01-27-15 11:00 PM
    Cant charge a pb with a computer, too weak

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.1.1151
    BlackGuy likes this.
    01-27-15 11:06 PM
    Computers and laptop can't deliver enough juice to charge the Playbook battery.

Posted from the 'Classy' Classic!
    BlackGuy likes this.
    01-27-15 11:46 PM
    Hmmmm, yes, I can see the direction your coming from, as it is my older laptop am using right now, where in my other laptop I always had my PB connected too and could leave home get on a train, travel 400 miles and still get back with my PB in the green.

What's more frustrating is I want to install a few sideload apps, like I used to with the other laptop but they just won't connect.
    Very frustrating when you've pressed all the right buttons.

I've done the DERV Mode and password. Reboot, uninstalled and reinstalled, both the laptop and PB, but it just won't connect.

Thanks, though Guys (y)

jtvberry
    01-28-15 07:17 AM
    I don't know if this will help, but I remember seeing posts about having to have the laptop plugged in to power itself to provide enough power to its USB ports.

You should also test different USB ports on the laptop, or maybe even try connecting through a powered USB hub if you have one available. This is just to get the communications part to work.

Posted via CB10
    jtv1 likes this.
    01-28-15 07:23 AM
    not being picked up by usb probably windows not playing ball.

if you desperate to charge off a PC/laptop/low power phone charger then you have to turn the playbook off. laptop power will help it run and the battery will just go down slower than usual.
    01-28-15 07:27 AM
    the PB charger is 1.8 A and the USB output from a PC/laptop is like .5 A. its not enough not matter how old or new your PC is. The PB might charge using the PC but it will be incredibly slow and probably would actually lose power still.
    BlackGuy likes this.
    01-28-15 07:30 AM
    the PB charger is 1.8 A and the USB output from a PC/laptop is like .5 A. its not enough not matter how old or new your PC is. The PB might charge using the PC but it will be incredibly slow and probably would actually lose power still.
    I have found that I've been losing battery power, like the battery is discharging, which is really weird.

jtvberry
    01-28-15 07:48 AM
    I don't know if this will help, but I remember seeing posts about having to have the laptop plugged in to power itself to provide enough power to its USB ports.

You should also test different USB ports on the laptop, or maybe even try connecting through a powered USB hub if you have one available. This is just to get the communications part to work.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I was thinking if this option was possible.
    Time to dig my nails into the subject

jtvberry
    01-28-15 07:50 AM
    KB27705-BlackBerry PlayBook battery power charge, discharge characteristics, and guidance on extending battery life

"Charge Behaviour:

The provided charger should be used to charge the device. The optional 12 volt rapid charger is may reduce charging times to approximately 3 to 4 hrs. Standard Blackberry smartphone chargers, other AC adapter USB chargers, or computer USB ports are not recommended for the sole purpose of charging the PlayBook as with these methods it may take more that 12 hours to charge the BlackBerry Playbook."
    howarmat and jtv1 like this.
    01-28-15 09:21 AM
    You might try one of those USB cords that utilizes 2 ports, one connector for data+power, and another one on a usually thinner lead for added power.

That way you should theoretically get approx 1.0A (500mA x2)...

Works for me with other devices that need more juice, like external DVD drives, etc...

�   "Oh Classic, you are the fairest here so true. But Passport is a thousand times more powerful than you..." (no offense, Classic is a great device, when it's charged)   �
    jtv1 likes this.
    02-27-15 12:56 AM
    No, I did run my PB on an new laptop and it was perfect!
    03-10-15 09:26 PM
    Which just shows to go ya, there's usually two sides to any given problem
    jtv1 likes this.
    03-23-15 04:02 PM