Hi there,

I noticed this with OS 2.0 that my playbook refuses to go in standby and password lock. This is whether I hit the power button to go in standby, or hit standby or the lock button through the software key.

And when I hit lock, I can always swipe and wake the device. I have a password set and its also set for 10 minutes and it doesnt lock at all.

I cannot make it lock right away, nor can I get it to lock after the set time of 10 minutes.

This is really frustrating because I cannot have this darn thing wide open for anybody to pick up and look through.

I don't know what problem this is. I have done a full security wipe two times now, reset the thing multiple times over (through the button holds or software button reset).

Do not understand what is going on. Anybody have a clue? I just want the darn thing to lock. And on the side matter, it looks like it is always on and not going on standby, so when I lock the screen and put it away, it will be super warm and the screen will be on when I pull it out its case (blackberry leather envelope)

SUPER FRUSTRATED!~!!!!! Ahhhh. Please help. Couldnt find anything from searching the forums.
    05-08-12 11:38 PM
    I don't know if this is a software bug, but I can't password lock at all. Sigh.
    05-09-12 12:37 AM
    To try to fix an issue, try these in order:

Restart using the Battery Icon and press Restart

Press and hold the Power button for 10-15 seconds. Then leave it for 20-30 seconds and see if it restarts.

To REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. Keep holding past the 3-choice options screen. If you hear a shutter type sound, you've taken a Screen Shot and probably missed the PowerButton.
    05-09-12 12:13 PM
    To try to fix an issue, try these in order:

Restart using the Battery Icon and press Restart

Press and hold the Power button for 10-15 seconds. Then leave it for 20-30 seconds and see if it restarts.

To REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. Keep holding past the 3-choice options screen. If you hear a shutter type sound, you've taken a Screen Shot and probably missed the PowerButton.
    Thanks F2, I have already tried all of those. Problem was still there when it rebooted back and I still cannot password protect the darn thing.
    05-09-12 12:42 PM
    I think this might be a small bug because this happens to me too, but only sometimes. Sometimes it doesn't go into the password screen and sometimes it does (but for me it is more often then not that it goes to the password screen).

I also started to have troubles with the password screen not allowing input. The keyboard pops up but it will not register with the password box (even when attempting to select it... "attempting" because the curser won't show up in the box, almost like the box is a picture on the wallpaper). After a minute or two I have to restart.

So, I do think there is a bug with the password screen and the locking of the PB that will hopefully get cleared up on the next update. BTW, this only happened to me since the 2.0.1 update.
    05-09-12 01:02 PM
    Totally have the same issues as you with the password screen not allowing input. It just doesnt allow any password protection anymore unless I do a full reset everytime, which is just not a workable solution given the lengthy bootup time.

I think it was with the 2.0.1 update that it did this as well, cause it was working fine and dandy before.
    05-09-12 01:05 PM
    I have had the same problem since installing the beta of OS version 2.
    The only time I get password lock is on reboot.

I have tried soft reset, security wipe (with and without software update) and a security wipe/power down/plug into PC with Desktop Manager/power up and update PB at the prompt, all to no avail.

My battery usage seems to suffer because of this - with no apps installed on wifi, it drains at 10-15% an hour.

Each time there is a new OS update I hope it is going to fix it...still hoping the next one will!
    05-11-12 12:01 PM
    I have had the same problem since installing the beta of OS version 2.
    The only time I get password lock is on reboot.

I have tried soft reset, security wipe (with and without software update) and a security wipe/power down/plug into PC with Desktop Manager/power up and update PB at the prompt, all to no avail.

My battery usage seems to suffer because of this - with no apps installed on wifi, it drains at 10-15% an hour.

Each time there is a new OS update I hope it is going to fix it...still hoping the next one will!
    Hey GlenB, I finally fixed it and posted this on blackberry support forums, hope this helps:

" Yeah I was totally surprised when a complete secruity wipe from settings, and a factory restore through desktop manager on both my Mac and PC didn't do anything.

What did end up working was resetting my playbook through the power + wolume button reset BUT I had to do this five times over. AND then I had to let it goto standby and lock itself, rather than click the software standby/lock button or the physical power button.

Totally not expecting that I had to do all that just to bring back my password protection but it works and I am happy to be back with my beloved Playbook.

Thanks for all the help everyone, it was super appreciated. "

Basically did a software reinstall through Desktop Manager, then do the three button reset like 5 times and then on the fifth time, don't try to lock it, just let it go to the timed lock setting, and then it should be working.
    05-11-12 12:12 PM
    It occurred to me (device not password-protected despite lock) for the 1st time a few days. Lucky (wood-touching) it was gone on one reboot.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    05-14-12 12:21 AM
    I have the same problem.....PB refuses to ask for password....

Tried the hard reset....but problem still persists...grrr... !!!
    Now.....waiting for PB OS update....maybe that'll fix it...

BTW....does anyone know when is the next update coming??? .coz the problem is really annoying.
    05-14-12 02:40 PM
    OS 2.1 Beta fixed it for me
    06-06-12 02:35 PM
    Sigh, the problem persisted last month when I was on a trip to Asia, so it basically was dead out the water a day into my 30 day trip. Good thing I brought my laptop for productivity.

Is there still no cure for this problem? I don't mean to be a negative arse on here, but I find it kind of ridiculous that the thing RIM is supposed to be known for, security, is completely unattainable in that I cannot password protect my Playbook at all.

Which kind of makes me sad cause I used to bring this everywhere as a perfect companion to my BB 9900. But now it sits in the corner unused and battery drained.
    07-23-12 12:29 AM
    I'm having the same problem with this password lock function during standby mode. Yesterday my playbook would not take in a charge and I figured that it was because of the unlocked standby mode. When it is unlocked it's hot as if there's a program running, so what I have to do is basically turn the darn thing off and on "" which takes a while to start up and at that time it then ask for a password.

Eventually it started taking a charge late last night and now im happy that it even start. I need to have the password lock. But hey as long as it works...I'm satisfied.

I hope they fix this password situation during the next update.
    08-29-12 08:40 AM
    I'm having the same problem! A couple of days ago I started having massive battery drain even on standby, and the password screen stopped coming up after 30 minutes of inactivity (which is how I have it set). First I thought that it was the "hotmail problem" I have been reading about. I deleted my hotmail account and the problem persisted. I did a few hard resets, the problem persisted. I just finished doing a complete re-install and the battery is still draining like crazy AND the password screen still wont come up. Now I'm thinking that the battery drain and the lack of password screen are related somehow. I'll try the 5 hard reboots and see if that does anything...
    09-03-12 08:14 PM
    I'm having the same problem! A couple of days ago I started having massive battery drain even on standby, and the password screen stopped coming up after 30 minutes of inactivity (which is how I have it set). First I thought that it was the "hotmail problem" I have been reading about. I deleted my hotmail account and the problem persisted. I did a few hard resets, the problem persisted. I just finished doing a complete re-install and the battery is still draining like crazy AND the password screen still wont come up. Now I'm thinking that the battery drain and the lack of password screen are related somehow. I'll try the 5 hard reboots and see if that does anything...
    What OS is installed? Any new Android apps sideloaded? Any other changes you recall making very recently?
    09-04-12 12:17 AM
    Before, I was on the .668 OS. However, I was using this OS for a long time before the battery problems started. After the reboot, I am now on .358.

No, I had not made any changes before the problems started. Day X-1 everything was fine, then on day X the battery just started draining quickly.
    09-04-12 07:22 AM
    Just got off of the phone with Blackberrry (1 hour...ugh) and they are shipping me a box so that I can send the playbook to them for repair under warranty. Looks like this problem isn't solvable by hard resets or reinstalling the OS.
    09-04-12 05:49 PM
    So today I receive the playbook after shipping it to them to be repaired...and the power button is broken! It is completely flush with the top of the playbook, making so that you need to poke it with a pen to turn it on.

That's it, I'm done. I'm asking for a refund. No wonder RIM is in a downward spiral.
    09-13-12 12:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD